Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: George Floyd: Cultural Shifts After June 2020

George Floyd: Cultural Shifts After June 2020

Thought I would ask what would arise out of the protests, riots and looting taking place across the country, including their impacts on our culture. I put an initial thought in a post in the bigger thread, but I feel like it's devolving into a generic free for all discussion, and I wanted to talk about this topic, specifically.

What do you think are some of the permanent behaviour or mindset changes that will come out of all this, and what will be the impact on our culture?

My response is emended below:

- The concept of Urban Renewal aka buying a loft in an emerging redevelopment district inna hood, will disappear from the Real Estate market.

- Condo buyers and apartment seekers will increasingly favor gated, or at least drive-in, walled complexes.

- Features like strong fencing, 24/7 guard services, e-gates and off street garage parking will command a premium.

- Private security and electronic surveillance companies will profit, as they are tasked to build enclaves for the 'haves'.

- Inner city residents lives will be impacted negatively as stores that used to provide goods and services at the local level become incinerated. Small businesses in affected areas will take years to rebuild.

- Corporate business will give lip service to the optics of ‘end systemic racism Now!’, but follow the money, and slow roll rebuilding looted stores and inventory until they can rewicker their security protocols to deal will 300 ‘protestors’ rolling up on stores with skateboards and wheelbarrows.

- Higher end shops and services will migrate to similar controlled entry, vetting clients prior to allowing on the premises. Same private security concept will be used. Armed guards will start to appear at stores like Target and WalMart.

- Similarly, very high end brick and mortar establishments will centralize stock into secure, protected warehouses, and move to a "virtual store" concept. Goods will be shown by appointment only, accessible through gates, with heavily armed security.

- Sales market for otherwise unremarkable vehicles with crowd- or riot-deterrence measures, including large 4WDs, will increase. Things like interior glass barriers, bull bars for managing crowds, and OC disperal units will be on the rise.

- Guns and ammo will get scarcer.

What are your thoughts?

I think there will be minor policing reforms like after the Rodney King and Ferguson riots, but things will go back to relative normal with the next news cycle. Long term I suspect classes will further segregate, with the upper classes moving into more exclusive and/or gated communities. Short term I expect a backlash, further polarization, and a resurgence in white supremacy especially in the lower classes facing increasing pressure in the job market.

Basically deja vu all over again...

I've heard that parts of LA have never been rebuilt after the Rodney King riots. Those were in 1992.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Armed guards will start to appear at stores like Target and WalMart.
    There's usually a local PD cruiser parked on the sidewalk in front of the local WalMarts. It's been that way for a while now.

Significantly lowered standards for entry into policing as well as a dearth of applicants.

Individuals recognizing they have to protect themselves and preparing for threatened invasion of suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Significantly lowered standards for entry into policing as well as a dearth of applicants.
    That's certain to bring the desired results...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Uhh..that’s been going on for a while....

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Well aware, but this will exacerbate the problem. Which as Blues noted is part of the Marxist's desired end state

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    As someone that had an interest in pursuing that line of work, I didn’t seem to see a whole lot of opportunity to get my foot in the door without active duty or college credit.

What did I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    As someone that had an interest in pursuing that line of work, I didn’t seem to see a whole lot of opportunity to get my foot in the door without active duty or college credit.

What did I miss?
    Not sure where you’re looking. It’s pretty well documented across the country that police departments are having difficulty filling the ranks. Departments are also becoming more and more lax on their background investigations (drug use, arrests, etc) to try to find people. There is a real issue with retention, as well.

https://www.policeone.com/hiring/art...2KdOMS3rTxqZm/

https://www.policeone.com/police-rec...YsLGblxg1tOQH/

https://www.policeone.com/leadership...UlQCyc7g9PkVQ/

https://www.policeone.com/recruitmen...HbQXsXPONZSpO/

https://www.policeone.com/recruitmen...B7yNZtZfSwQtK/

User Tag List