Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good home and carry pistol for woman?

Easy to use and light recoil

Hits on the target is what I use as a rule of thumb. I'd rather have a hit with a .22 than a miss with a 9mm. As has been stated, there are a lot of variables when matching a person to a firearm. The term "light recoil" could mean the shooter is inexperienced, has health issues that relates to using a handgun proficiently, or other reasons (noise) to be fearful of a firearm.

The term "easy to use" could mean different things to different people. A revolver is easy to use. Just open the cylinder, load, close the cylinder and your ready. With a pistol you load the magazine, insert the magazine into the pistol, and chamber around by sending the slide home. While this sequence is easy, for the inexperienced shooter it may not be.

Generally 9mm is regarded as the minimum for self-defense. Try different handguns/caliber combinations to whittle down a preference to buy. Check out .380 caliber pistols that are offered as easy to manipulate. I think S&W has come out with some in .380 and I think 9mm as well, though not sure about the 9.

Whatever you decide on, practice. Know how the firearm works. Over time safe handling of the firearm will become second nature.

Dan Wesson Pointman PM-C

Smith and Wesson Shield

Glock 43

Kahr K9

Some of these models, like the S&W and Dan Wesson, have manual safeties which need to be manipulated when drawing, etc. The G43 is probably the easiest to use but has no safety. The Kahr does not have a safety but the trigger pull is longer allowing it to be more forgiving.

Let her try and decided for herself, and then take some defensive pistol classes.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    If you removed the word woman from your post and just said best pistol, PF would start singing a chorus of Glock 19, 1000 rounds of 9mm, 1000 dry presses, and a training class.

Quality belt and holster probably JM Custom Kydex or DSG, Mack belt or Wilderness.

I think some of us here might also mention the Glock 48 because we are oddly like carrying less rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Welcome!

That’s not a simple question. There’s a lot to think about when considering a handgun for self-defense.

Do you have any firearm experience?
    Body shape and size, hand size and strength, and other factors can affect what pistols are comfortable to use and to carry concealed.
    How do you plan to carry a pistol?
    Selecting a handgun is a series of compromises. Smaller, lighter guns are usually easier to carry but harder to shoot well. A lighter gun will have more felt recoil than a heavier one using the same ammunition.
    Is there a range nearby where you can rent pistols, or take a class?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Whatever you get, don't leave it unsecured in your car. Car break-ins are a big source of guns for criminals.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If you can get to your car, why would you not simply drive away rather than go for your pistol? To be truly useful, the pistol will need to be on your person.
    I understand there may be a need for car storage. Relative's spouse had an out of prison arrestee, looking to hurt them or their family, and the family works at a no guns location (federal property, no exceptions). Leaving the gun in the vehicle, is sometimes necessary.
    I think so much of the advice you have been given is good (class for beginners, especially if aimed at females, as more coverage of things female specific) and gun rentals. I also expect, based on a few woman I have talked to, like a lot of guys, your first pistol, may not be your last. (flavor of the month) Because you can find features on a different gun that work better for you, or find that you want a home gun as well, or just decide you want something else.
    There are lots of guns I would recommend checking out and I am biased by my PX4, so that would be on the list:
    S&W M&P series
    4" revolvers
    Sig pistols
    Beretta PX4, 92 compact, 92 Centurion
    Based on a friend/teachers advice, the M&P EZ 9.
    What a female employee at the gun rental counter says.

Just saw this video yesterday in my recommended video's, just what so many have said:

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    If you removed the word woman from your post and just said best pistol, PF would start singing a chorus of Glock 19, 1000 rounds of 9mm, 1000 dry presses, and a training class.

Quality belt and holster probably JM Custom Kydex or DSG, Mack belt or Wilderness.

I think some of us here might also mention the Glock 48 because we are oddly like carrying less rounds.
    True. I would note my wife shoots a 19 pretty well among the guns she's tried. More comfortable for her to shoot than her Shield. The 48 might be a good stepdown in size if one's hands are small enough to struggle with the 19. But the 19 is probably easier to shoot and control.

The PX4 mentioned in the OP is potentially a very good choice and we're a big fan of it around here but remember that the standard PX4 lacks some of the tweaks we all consider nearly mandatory. Still very good gun and very gentle recoiling.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I will add this because I helped run a firearms training company that was geared toward women for almost 10 years.

Out of the hundreds of women that I came in contact with, only one or two of them brought a G19 to a class. The most popular models were the XD9sc and M&P9c mid sized pistols. A lot of 380s, including the Bersa which ran really well.

We would bring multiple pistols to a class for them to try, including the ones that I mentioned in my last post, as well as a G19, Beretta 92, HK P2000, and a S&W revolver. It would be interesting to see what they would choose as their favorite by the end of the class. One woman fell in love with the 92 at a class and wanted to take it home with her, but I found her a local source so I could keep it

The most popular choice by far was the 1911's in 9mm, either the full size or compact models. While it was rare to see a woman bring one to a class, they almost always like it the best after trying it. The combination of an easy trigger pull and the added weight to help with recoil, it was a crowd favorite. The problem is cost, you have to spend a good amount to get one that will run reliably.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I will add this because I helped run a firearms training company that was geared toward women for almost 10 years.

Out of the hundreds of women that I came in contact with, only one or two of them brought a G19 to a class. The most popular models were the XD9sc and M&P9c mid sized pistols. A lot of 380s, including the Bersa which ran really well.

We would bring multiple pistols to a class for them to try, including the ones that I mentioned in my last post, as well as a G19, Beretta 92, HK P2000, and a S&W revolver. It would be interesting to see what they would choose as their favorite by the end of the class.
    After exposure to the G19 in class, what was the typical take on the G19 after the class?

In a hurry at the moment so haven't read all the responses...

Do NOT choose a pistol for a woman. Let her fondle, dry fire, and then rent/shoot a number of pistols and then choose for herself what fits her hands the best and that she shoots the best.

Pistols are as individual as a pair of shoes.

I would begin with single stack 9mm's.

Glock G43
    SW Shield 2.0
    SW Shield EZ
    Sig p365 (yeah, not exactly single stack.. but still)

And it that's too much, go to single stack .380's.

If she can handle a double stack AND maintain correct grip, then rock on with it if she can conceal it well.

HK VP9SK -- hands down the most rockin' pistol I have ever fired. With the small grip and pack panels, it will fit a large number of women.

A small revolver is definitely not a bad choice if she goes in that direction, but that's outside my wheelhouse.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post

Do NOT choose a pistol for a woman. Let her fondle, dry fire, and then rent/shoot a number of pistols and then choose for herself what fits her hands the best and that she shoots the best.

Glock G43
    SW Shield 2.0
    SW Shield EZ

If she can handle a double stack AND maintain correct grip, then rock on with it if she can conceal it well.

HK VP9SK -- hands down the most rockin' pistol I have ever fired. With the small grip and pack panels, it will fit a large number of women.

A small revolver is definitely not a bad choice if she goes in that direction, but that's outside my wheelhouse.
    Since you missed it, OP is a woman.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post

Glock G43
    SW Shield 2.0
    SW Shield EZ

Since you missed it, OP is a woman, the pistol is for her.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List