Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Good home and carry pistol for woman?

It's hilarious how many didn't comprehend that a woman was asking about a good firearm for herself. "Why, you gotta get that little woman a pipsqueak 2000!" Come on guys, it's the 2020's and women can shoot the same guns as men... (Some of you did give good reasons for recommending a smaller firearm. I'm not referring to you guys.)

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    remember that the standard PX4 lacks some of the tweaks we all consider nearly mandatory.
    What tweaks are considered mandatory? I think someone forgot to send me that memo... Mine has a small grip panel, Talon Grips grip tape, 92-style decocking levers (decock only) and a Tru-Glo front sight. The only one of these that I would consider near mandatory would be the grip tape ($25, international shipping included), or another way to make the grip a bit less slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I've also seen a woman who was new to guns blow the center out of a B-8 target at 25 yards with a 1911A1. She might have been an outlier in that regard.
    My girlfriend's very favouritest of handguns is still, to this day, the one she bought first - an all-steel, 5", .45ACP 1911. (Loaded with full power 230gr ammo.) So I don't know about outliers - I have a suspicion that some women just tend to have great taste in firearms. And in my limited experience, as new shooters women tend to be more accurate than men. (Men on the other hand tend to be faster in timed drills.)

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    What tweaks are considered mandatory? I think someone forgot to send me that memo... Mine has a small grip panel, Talon Grips grip tape, 92-style decocking levers (decock only) and a Tru-Glo front sight. The only one of these that I would consider near mandatory would be the grip tape ($25, international shipping included), or another way to make the grip a bit less slippery.
    Pretty much what you did. Particularly the G conversion IMO, but improving the texture and sights are big helps. A simple hammer spring tweak can lighten that DA up a lot too.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    One thing that was surprising was the amount of woman that liked the Kahr K9 Even with the longer trigger pull, they were able to shoot it accurately, and it ran and ran.
    This is something that seems to be, on the surface, counter-intuitive. My K9 fits my small hand like a glove. While it has a long trigger pull, it is not heavy, and does not have a "wall" to anticipate. I also have a nearly identical CW9. I actually prefer to carry the heavier all-steel gun. While heavier, the weight is just better distributed, I guess. And the added weight is a plus for recoil control.

I had originally thought that I would train with the K9 and carry the CW9. It did not work out that way.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by aimcat View Post
    What would be a good home and pistol for me to keep in my suv as a woman? Easy to use and light recoil? I can get a good deal on a Beretta px4 Storm if that might be one?
    Nothing wrong at all with the PX4 line, as long as you are comfortable with it. Ernest Langdon in particular has really done sterling service in making the PX4 a more modular and effective platform that can be tailored to individual needs; I had to fool around with different safety/decocking levers before I found what I liked best.

My wife loved the way the PX4 Storm subcompact felt, but fell out of love for reasons she still can't articulate. (I, on the other hand, went from disliking it to loving it.) She has some physical issues that might make her an outlier, so I won't detail her long journey that ended with a compact 1911 in 9mm and a Ruger SR22. I wouldn't recommend either of those for anyone else's defensive use, but things boiled down to personal likes/dislikes (some logical, some not so much) combined with the simple matter of being able to make good hits on a regular basis.

I used to tell people to simply "get a 4 inch DA .38/.357 revolver," then eventually added "or Glock 19" to that, then dissembled even more until I now worry less about the actual pistol than I do about some things to look for WRT the individual user (in other words, "I tend to be diffuse" as Horace Kephart said about choosing a knife).

Things like... can the individual in question:

successfully deal with a 10 or 12 lb trigger pull?
    rack a slide?
    handle centerfire cartridge recoil levels?
    reload in a timely manner?
    deal with a multiplicity of controls (trigger, safety, magazine latch, slide stop, etc)?

Or...

does the user have exceptionally small or large hands?
    are there any vision issues?

...and so on. WRT the first point above, if someone doesn't have the finger strength to pull a stiff DA revolver trigger without wobbling the gun around wildly by shot #2 or 3, they might not be a candidate for a wheelgun, and thus we look elsewhere.

There are so many good choices out there these days from companies who will stand behind their products that we have an almost embarrassing abundance of reasonable options, albeit right now the polymer-framed, striker-fired 9x19mm semiautos are using up much of the oxygen in the room. Unlike the "good old days" when there were no ranges open to the public that would rent guns for us to try out, nowadays we can find out pretty quick what we do like (or at least what we do hate).
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

One thing that was surprising was the amount of woman that liked the Kahr K9 Even with the longer trigger pull, they were able to shoot it accurately, and it ran and ran.
    My wife loves her Kahr K9. It ran and ran, and runs and runs, with every load we have tried. My Kahr K9 was picky about its ammo, and when I could no longer get Federal 9BPLE, I eventually sold or traded my K9. This was when there were very few sources of +P 9mm, as most manufacturers wanted to keep such ammo “Law Enforcement-Only,” which most distributors interpreted to mean agency/PD-only. (I was an LEO, but my employer did not provide duty or carry ammo, at least during the 1983-2018 time period, when I worked there.)

A second reason I sold/traded my Kahr was because I found the reach to the trigger to be too short, requiring me to carefully and consciously place my index finger “just-so” on the face of the trigger, meaning that I shot it well only if I took the time to thusly prepare. @Mas Ayoob, if I recall correctly, had a ‘smith weld more material onto the face of a Kahr trigger, which I found quite interesting. Had my wife regularly carried her K9, I might have bought another K9, and had it so modified, so that we could be armed with identical weapons, when out and about. (She has almost always carried revolvers.)

So, I would think that many women would love Kahrs.

For reference, my wife’s hands can handle a K-Frame S&W well. I am a male, and while my hands are K-Frame/GP100-sized, are just a bit larger than hers. Many double-stack pistols are too large for either of us, which is a reason I stayed away away from the Beretta system, during the time I was establishing favorites; the original-pattern 92 grips resulted in a weapon that was too large to fit me. Slimmer grip forhe M9/92, and the PX4 system, arrived later.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    This is something that seems to be, on the surface, counter-intuitive. My K9 fits my small hand like a glove. While it has a long trigger pull, it is not heavy, and does not have a "wall" to anticipate. I also have a nearly identical CW9. I actually prefer to carry the heavier all-steel gun. While heavier, the weight is just better distributed, I guess. And the added weight is a plus for recoil control.

I had originally thought that I would train with the K9 and carry the CW9. It did not work out that way.
    I always thought the steel framed Kahr would be a good choice for someone smaller provided, like you guys say, they can reach the trigger. And, I suppose, work the slide. Small grip, heavy to help with recoil, seems like a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by aimcat View Post
    What would be a good home and pistol for me to keep in my suv as a woman? Easy to use and light recoil? I can get a good deal on a Beretta px4 Storm if that might be one?
    If you answer some of the questions asked by contributors this discussion could move forward in a meaningful way. Without knowing more you're going to get a lot of random answers.

My wife went from a shield 2.0 to a 365XL and has made a significant jump in proficiency with it, we just installed the romeo zero last week and after running the dot she is all in, fantastic pistol to consider with the romeo zero mounted from the factory.

I saw this post when it first appeared and there were no views. Thought to myself,”I’m not getting involved .”
    Isn’t this like the third time a brand new member asks, “What gun should I buy?” and then never responds to a question or posts again? It’s like “Kick the football, Charlie Brown. I promise I won’t move the football this time.”
    Real guns have hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    I saw this post when it first appeared and there were no views. Thought to myself,”I’m not getting involved .”
    Isn’t this like the third time a brand new member asks, “What gun should I buy?” and then never responds to a question or posts again? It’s like “Kick the football, Charlie Brown. I promise I won’t move the football this time.”
    But others who come here seeking knowledge DO respond, and some even become active, valued contributors. Certainly, none of us are required to post.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List