Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HAK Hideaway Knife with Strider Grind RFI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Fred-P...k-Knife--17261

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Emerso...de-Neck--81514

I have both of these, and think they are both neat little blades, especially for the cost and price. I'm not sold on finger rings on knives except for very specific circumstances, but are worth a look.

Also, having personally corresponded with Fred, he is an amazing guy. Interesting, sharp as hell, and generous in spirit.
    Fred is an awesome knife maker who I've had the pleasure of spending time with. Solid guy with solid skill.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Fred is an awesome knife maker who I've had the pleasure of spending time with. Solid guy with solid skill.
    @SouthNarc

Craig, did I ever tell you how Fred was responsible for IA opening a case on me?
    Last edited by blues; 06-06-2020 at 01:51 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I did not get around to buying a HAK when they were getting started, but in some ways wish I had.

The original concept was a knife which could hide behind a typical employee ID/building RFID card on a card holder, as well as to remain in the user's hands if they get knocked down in a fight. I think it accomplished that purpose well. The makers also put far, far more thought into sheaths and carry methods than the vast majority of other knife makers. The carry system is often more important than the knife itself in the overall usefulness of the package.

It is disappointing that the business had the logistics and customer service issues it had. From reading the article linked above, it seems that many of the problems could have been avoided by better communication between the partners. Given the growth of the business and volume of sales, it would seem that hiring someone to handle customer communication would have solved a lot of problems while freeing up the partners to focus on the logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @SouthNarc

Craig, did I ever tell you how Fred was responsible for IA opening a case on me?

No! Do tell?

No! Do tell?
    I think it was a year or two after I visited Fred in Paris in 1999. He was going to come to the Blade Show and wanted to bring a balisong he had made for "demonstration purposes".

I'd advised him that it was technically a violation to import them into the U.S. at the time and that his best bet was to get some sort of dispensation in advance.

Anyway, he planned on visiting with Jimmy Fikes down in AL and then making his way to Atlanta for the show. His flight took him from Paris and routed through Detroit where he was to connect for a domestic flight to AL.

Some bonehead Inspector up there becomes aware of the balisong and tells him that it's a no-no blah blah blah. So, Fred, in his infinite wisdom, whips out my business card and asks if the Inspector can contact me or something to resolve the matter.

The Inspector calls Internal Affairs and reports me for suspicion of illegally importing balisong knives into the U.S. Mind you, this is one knife.

Next thing I know, and first I've heard of it, I'm summoned to IA where I'm read my rights, (which I waive), and put under oath to answer questions about this so-called importation.

I tell them that yes, I know Fred, he's a friend and a knife maker and that I'd advised him of the import laws regarding the knife.

Then I ask the two geniuses whether anyone bothered to speak to Fred and ask him if I was in cahoots with him in this giant criminal scheme.

They tell me they hadn't. I said, well, then I guess you know what you need to do and left.

A few weeks later I got a letter that the matter was being dropped.

I never let Fred hear the end of it later on. Especially during the 10 hour drive from South FL to the Blade Show I made with him and Laci Szabo the following year.

What a character.

Name:  Perrin2.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  18.5 KB

Name:  tribal3.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  Griffe2.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  36.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I think it was a year or two after I visited Fred in Paris in 1999. He was going to come to the Blade Show and wanted to bring a balisong he had made for "demonstration purposes".

I'd advised him that it was technically a violation to import them into the U.S. at the time and that his best bet was to get some sort of dispensation in advance.

Anyway, he planned on visiting with Jimmy Fikes down in AL and then making his way to Atlanta for the show. His flight took him from Paris and routed through Detroit where he was to connect for a domestic flight to AL.

Some bonehead Inspector up there becomes aware of the balisong and tells him that it's a no-no blah blah blah. So, Fred, in his infinite wisdom, whips out my business card and asks if the Inspector can contact me or something to resolve the matter.

The Inspector calls Internal Affairs and reports me for suspicion of illegally importing balisong knives into the U.S. Mind you, this is one knife.

Next thing I know, and first I've heard of it, I'm summoned to IA where I'm read my rights, (which I waive), and put under oath to answer questions about this so-called importation.

I tell them that yes, I know Fred, he's a friend and a knife maker and that I'd advised him of the import laws regarding the knife.

Then I ask the two geniuses whether anyone bothered to speak to Fred and ask him if I was in cahoots with him in this giant criminal scheme.

They tell me they hadn't. I said, well, then I guess you know what you need to do and left.

A few weeks later I got a letter that the matter was being dropped.

I never let Fred hear the end of it later on. Especially during the 10 hour drive from South FL to the Blade Show I made with him and Laci Szabo the following year.

What a character.

Name:  Perrin2.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  18.5 KB

Name:  tribal3.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  Griffe2.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  36.2 KB

That is an AWESOME story!

That is an AWESOME story!
    It was a lot funnier after the fact.

“Cameron Casey”, the female sociopath that tapped into the talent pool at Self Defense Forums to design a blade for her specific needs, left quite the wake of destruction after fucking over a ton of great knife makers like Rob Simonich.

It’s a niche tool at best and I regret having any association with that company.
    Holy sheepshit!

I had no idea of that information. I got it as a gift from someone who owed me a significant favor.

“Cameron Casey”, the female sociopath that tapped into the talent pool at Self Defense Forums to design a blade for her specific needs, left quite the wake of destruction after fucking over a ton of great knife makers like Rob Simonich.

It’s a niche tool at best and I regret having any association with that company.
    @SouthNarc

I somehow missed this post. Rob was a dear friend of ours. We spent many a night drinking and carousing at the Blade Show and my wife and I were guests at his home in Montana when we took a motorcycle ride up there to stay with him for a few days. I've got a ton of Rob Simonich stories that still make me laugh out loud.

I've never quite got over his death. I was planning to spend a lot more time with him after retirement.

He gifted this to me the weekend we stayed with him. I thought he was making it for a customer. The blue bone should have been a give away.

Name:  Pikuni2.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  61.3 KB
    Last edited by blues; 06-07-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post

As an aside, have you gone hands on with the LTT Compact yet?
    Oh yes. I ran it in two range test sessions, with a variety of ammo. I used both the Beretta 13-rounders and the Mec-Gar 15 rounders. I also used a Beretta 15-round sand-resistant mag with the grip extender doodad. All ammo was tested with a pair of each mag type. Mags are new test mags that have never been dropped or subjected to feedlip damage - they are reserved strictly for initial testing. I use 100 rounds of each ammo type.

American Eagle 150-grain Syntech

Speer 124-grain +P Gold Dot

Speer 147-grain Gold Dot

Federal 147-grain HST

Hornady 135-grain +P Critical Duty

Federal 115-grain +P+ BPLE

Magtech 115-grain FMJ

Magtech 124-grain FMJ

Speer Lawman 115-grain FMJ

Speer Lawman 147-grain FMJ

American Eagle 147-grain FMJ

I had no issues with any ammo or any mag. In short, this thing processes ammo like Rosie O'Donnell mows down a Chinese buffet.

I cleaned and relubed it, and shot it yesterday in a Palisades Training Group pistol class. Zero issues, and it is crazy accurate. At four yards, it will put ten rounds into a group the size of a 50-cent piece - all double action. And that's with me, a 60+ old dude who has arthritis and shakes like an epileptic dog in a thunderstorm.

You can ask Jackdog, DB or Wayne Dobbs how bad my hands shake. In Wayne's words: "That pistol makes you look like you know what you are doing".

A very large tip of the hat to Ernest, Aimee and Jonah at @Langdon Tactical. The gun is uber reliable, crazy accurate, and a solid deal for what it cost. I snagged the 92X no-rail Compact with NP3 internals and the full-boat package.

User Tag List