Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HAK Hideaway Knife with Strider Grind RFI

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @SouthNarc

I somehow missed this post. Rob was a dear friend of ours. We spent many a night drinking and carousing at the Blade Show and my wife and I were guests at his home in Montana when we took a motorcycle ride up there to stay with him for a few days. I've got a ton of Rob Simonich stories that still make me laugh out loud.

I've never quite got over his death. I was planning to spend a lot more time with him after retirement.

He gifted this to me the weekend we stayed with him. I thought he was making it for a customer. The blue bone should have been a give away.

Attachment 55524
    Those Talonite knives are incredible.
    Last edited by blues; 06-07-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Those Talonite knives are incredible.
    Thanks, brother. They'll go to the grave with me.

I've got two or three.

And one in D2.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Total aside, but for anyone not around for the 2nd wave of online knife nuttery (first was Usenet, second was web based forums), Mr. Simonich really was very prominent, always giving of his time and knowledge and a true craftsman. I didn't know him personally, but he really changed the knife world for the better, helping to pioneer and popularize niche knife steels (Talonite), mid-tech production (the very idea and practice of it), embracing the best of new technology, while holding true to core principles, that knives should actually cut well, and be comfy to hold, unlike so many "tactical" knives that were so popular then.

They don't make many like that gent. Sorry for your loss, @blues .

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Total aside, but for anyone not around for the 2nd wave of online knife nuttery (first was Usenet, second was web based forums), Mr. Simonich really was very prominent, always giving of his time and knowledge and a true craftsman. I didn't know him personally, but he really changed the knife world for the better, helping to pioneer and popularize niche knife steels (Talonite), mid-tech production (the very idea and practice of it), embracing the best of new technology, while holding true to core principles, that knives should actually cut well, and be comfy to hold, unlike so many "tactical" knives that were so popular then.

They don't make many like that gent. Sorry for your loss, @blues .
    Thank you, Joe. That's very true and very kind.

He was one of several makers that I have the honor of having had a special relationship with. Kit Carson, Ken Erickson, Jerry Halfrich are a few others. Though they were much better behaved than Rob and I when we got together.

And when Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin were in the mix, it was sure to end up in mayhem. I can't tell you how much we laughed until we about cried. (When we weren't dodging donnybrooks.)

I go back to the usenet days myself, on my old Packard-Bell Windows 3.1 machine. And bladeforums when Mike Turber owned it before Spark. And a few other forums as well.

It's been a long strange trip...with more than a few ups and downs along the way.

Site Supporter

He was one of several makers that I have the honor of having had a special relationship with. Kit Carson, Ken Erickson, Jerry Halfrich are a few others. Though they were much better behaved than Rob and I when we got together.

And when Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin were in the mix, it was sure to end up in mayhem. I can't tell you how much we laughed until we about cried. (When we weren't dodging donnybrooks.)

I go back to the usenet days myself, on my old Packard-Bell Windows 3.1 machine. And bladeforums when Mike Turber owned it before Spark. And a few other forums as well.

It's been a long strange trip...with more than a few ups and downs along the way.

The good ol'days.
    Definitely a long strange trip, definitely.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    “Cameron Casey”, the female sociopath that tapped into the talent pool at Self Defense Forums to design a blade for her specific needs, left quite the wake of destruction after fucking over a ton of great knife makers like Rob Simonich.

It’s a niche tool at best and I regret having any association with that company.

I did not know this either. I bought mine used, with a sheath made by Ken Brock. It's a comfort knife for me.

You can damn near hide it between the tail end of most tactical belts. Apply velcro to both sides of the sheath and sandwich it between the belt layers

I bought a HAK years and years ago - in the original iteration, a Utilihak. (This was before it all came unraveled).

I gave it away to a friend of mine who uses it as a running knife. They work pretty well for being a super compact design that can be hidden just about anywhere. I never could get the thing sorted out for a proper draw and I moved on from it. I found it extremely niche overall.

The LaGriffe is a better format. Though I admit, I don't own any finger ring blades anymore. At this point, I'm pretty much at a Clinch Pick is the smallest fixed blade I regularly carry and I have a few other things like kiridashis, sort of stashed away.

got an interesting email today that I thought I'd share with the group.

Hello, rob_s, long time no talk!

I see you've requested a knife before on Hideawayknife.com.

Hideawayknife.com has been down for a little bit but it is up and running again, and we also have a new and improved website, https://hakknife.com, and are taking orders immediately.

We are currently offering a $10 discount to our returning customers, and by receiving this email, you are entitled to this discount as well on our new site, HAKknife.com.

Use the coupon code “GETAHAK” at checkout on HAKknife.com to take advantage of this limited time discount offer.

https://hakknife.com

You must have a minimum order of $50.00 to use this discount.

The original site is currently accepting orders as well. This discount is only available on HAKknife.com, however.

If you prefer to order through our old site, I can set your knife order to maypay - so it will show in "pay for it and send it to me".

Let me know if you're still interested in purchasing a knife and/or accessories.

Alternatively, you may make a new purchase on HAKknife.com and your order will be charged and shipped immediately.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

William
    William Cell: 407-580-9936 Alternate: 216-392-0042
    From deep in the HideAway Cave in the shadow of Disney Castle in Orlando, Florida

You may unsubscribe to stop receiving our emails.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter

Was blues your handle way back when? In the Mike Turber days, although the Spark days were interesting...I was an early Bladeforums guy back in the day...Like early Spyderco Native with a Mike Sastre sheath, the Round Eye Knife And Tool Hobbit Fang, and the D2 Sifu group buy....

Was in, way back when...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Was blues your handle way back when? In the Mike Turber days, although the Spark days were interesting...I was an early Bladeforums guy back in the day...Like early Spyderco Native with a Mike Sastre sheath, the Round Eye Knife And Tool Hobbit Fang, and the D2 Sifu group buy....

Was in, way back when...

pat
    Yep. That was me. I've been around since the beginning (of time).

I still have a REKAT Pioneer. (I hung around with the owner, Bob Taylor, at a couple Blade Shows. That boy was out there.) I've met Mike Sastre but haven't seen him in forever. I'm not even sure if he's still with us or not.

User Tag List