Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back up guns/optics/slides

Back up guns/optics/slides

Question for those who carry a pistol with a slide mounted red dot. It’s still a matter of when, not if, they’re going to break. What redundancies do you have in place? Do you have multiple guns set up and ready to go? A spare optic to mount when the primary breaks?

I’m waiting for my first slide to come back with an RMR type 2. I haven’t decided what my back up plan is. If my RMR goes down at the range, I have other guns to finish out the day. If my number comes up and I have to use my gun for real, AND I’m unlucky enough that it breaks then, well it has BUIS and I carry a back up revolver in the pocket.

As long as the world hasn’t gone completely tango uniform, at this point I’m leaning towards just running the one gun, if the optic breaks, I’ll amazon prime a new one and send the busted one in for repair. I’m a bit of a minimalist and don’t like having a bunch of guns around that don’t get used, so I’d rather not tie up another $1500 in a contingency plan.

What’s everyone else’s approach?

You will see most people with one for practice, one for matches/duty use. Minimalist aproach maybe to just do another slide, depending on the setup you are using

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Cheapest option is to just get a filler plate and use the irons until your optic is repaired.

I just had to send an RMR in for repair. Fortunately I have several other Glocks with iron sights, so I used one of those. All else being equal, I'd rather have an RMR than not. But I don't feel outgunned without one.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Cheapest option is to just get a filler plate and use the irons until your optic is repaired.

I just had to send an RMR in for repair. Fortunately I have several other Glocks with iron sights, so I used one of those. All else being equal, I'd rather have an RMR than not. But I don't feel outgunned without one.
    What was the turn around time on the RMR?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    What was the turn around time on the RMR?
    Less than a month. That’s more than acceptable.

I have a pair of 229s with red dots, one a Romeo 1 and one with a 507c; a 320 RX1; Shadow Systems MR920 with an RMR; MR918 with a 508t that just came in today; and a USPC9 out getting an RMR installed. It's not a question so much of needing to have an emergency backup as much as really liking red dots as my eyesight continues to degrade with age. Hopefully someday soon the 507k will actually hit the streets so I can complete my 365.

I've got two pistols and one rifle with RM06. If I HAD to, I'd steal an optic off one of those, if I didn't just switch guns.

I also have a filler plate, but a pistol will run fine with no optic or filler plate too. If I were looking for some equipment backup options, I'd probably buy a holosun, zero it, and make sure it works good, then put it away as a spare. When they go on sale, they're way more affordable

and avoid Amazon for optics, as the chance of getting a counterfeit one is just too high

BUIS on the gun and an iron sight Glock in the safe. I think BUGs are stupid. If it really came down to that, I’m either going to beat someone with my pistol or it was my time anyways.

The only issue I’ve had since putting an RDS on my flock a few years ago is having to replace springs because I shoot it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Do you have multiple guns set up and ready to go? A spare optic to mount when the primary breaks?
    Yes and yes, and functional backup irons on all carry optic-enabled slides, and a spare irons-only slide.

I am not considering an optic a specific point of failure that needs its own extra-redundancy. This Wednesday my primary competition optic gun went down in practice - because of a broken slide stop. Three months ago a rear iron sight on a carry Glock almost flew out due to sight failure. My redundancies are built around guns in general, not optics per se.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Two guns/optics minimum. One for training, one for matches. I am learning I really need 3 though if I’m going to stay serious about CO, because I just got stuck having to use my training gun and optic for a major match with no back up option due to my primary match optic being broken and back at Trijicon for repair.

User Tag List