Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apartment AR Storage for Home Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    the constant in and out of safe routine isn't something I'm thrilled about having to do every day down the road.
    If you already have a proper gun safe and the rifle fits in it, that really does sound like the most secure storage method. Is taking the gun out of the safe when you come home and putting it back in the safe when you leave really that big of a chore?

Consider hiding your weapons from plain view

Something to consider, no matter how you stage your weapons for easy or quick access, I would try to keep it from plain view. You May think you’re a light sleeper but intruders will be coming in fast during a break in and you may not have time to grab your weapon before the bad guys are standing over you. Even if you are awaken, you may still need time to situate yourself.

Think about the distance between your front and back doors to your bedroom or where your weapons are. That distance may be really short in an apartment. Also think about other access points bad guys could use such as windows.

Some things to consider adding:
    1. An alarm system or better yet a networked alarm system. When they break in the alarm will start warning you before you siren goes off, that’ll give you an edge and a better chance to wake up in time. A networked alarm is good because you would want to call for help anyways. It’s a costly investment but not a complete waste.

2. Lock your bedroom door and any other doors to your bedroom such as two way bathrooms. The bad guys will struggle very little with the door (s) but it’ll give you some time.
    2.a. Consider, if you haven’t already, strengthening your door locks. Most outside doors when built use short screws sometimes less than an inch to mount the metal plate onto the door frame to catch the door lock bolt. Use longer screws to drive into the frame and the studs. This increases the strength of the door locks.

3. Man’s best friend, you don’t necessarily have to train them but most inherently will be protective of “their territory” so generally will bark when they hear something that sounds intrusive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Why not just leave the safe open when you're home and close it when you're leaving or when you're going to have people in your apartment who might access it without your consent?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Why not just leave the safe open when you're home and close it when you're leaving or when you're going to have people in your apartment who might access it without your consent?
    This is what I do with my safe and have found its not an inconvenience at all. Another thing I’ve done is leave my house/car keys on top of the safe so I never forget to put the gun away and lock the safe. If I begin leaving the house without having locked up the gun that’s out, I quickly realize I don’t have my car keys.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I keep my safe closed, as well as the door to the arms room (even if it's not locked) for fire resistance.

That, and I know I would walk out without closing/locking the safe at some point....and work isn't going to like my answer as to why my 2nd issued Glock is missing.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thanks all. There are some things here I thought of and others I didn't, and lots of options that could work.

I'll admit that I'm lazy and that moving the rifle back and forth every night is merely an inconvenience, thought it's also something I admit I may forget to do in the morning. It may still be what I do for a while before I have a better solution. Leaving the safe open would be the easy fix, except that it's in our spare bedroom, which is between our bedroom and the outer door.

When we move after one more year at our current place, I hope to have more options. I'll definitely be more comfortable with permanent and semi-permanent modifications. The main safe may also end up in our room. For now, I may get a stud finder and see what I could get away with as far as a single-rifle safe in the closet. I like the looks of the V-Line for that, especially since I'd really prefer simplex to an electronic option if I'm going to be opening it when I need it.

Tethering a FastBox under the bed may also be a great solution for a place that I'm stuck in for now but not necessarily keen on making modifications to. I keep my carry gun in its holster in my nightstand's open drawer - I think I could develop a reliable habit of opening the FastBox at night and closing it in the morning as part of the same routine that addresses the pistol.

Of course, anything I do requires spousal approval, which is why options are good.

I also appreciate the recommendations for general security. Those will be more feasible in the kind of house/townhouse we'll be moving into next, but we're limited as to what we can do in this apartment. Especially regarding pets - dogs allowed is a priority for the next place, since we're both fed up with not having one or two around. Replacing the door screws is something I've thought about and could probably get away with, though - it's unnoticeable as long as I'm not so extraordinarily unlucky as to have maintenance or the manager walk by during the five minutes it takes to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @Blades,

That looks pretty worthless considering you can just pop the two receivers apart and remove it without ever touching the lock...
    Not to pile on, but even easier, you could just remove the stock from the buffer tube, right?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I keep my safe closed, as well as the door to the arms room (even if it's not locked) for fire resistance.

That, and I know I would walk out without closing/locking the safe at some point....and work isn't going to like my answer as to why my 2nd issued Glock is missing.
    Sure, but the OP is taking a rifle in and out constantly. I think it's probably easier to put your house keys with the safe to verify you lock in then remember to put the rifle away each time you go out.

FWIW, I have two safe storage containers. One's a for real safe, a Ft. Knox that's fire resistant and all that. It stays closed. The other is more security by obscurity and despite the fact it locks isn't going to stand up to any dedicated attempt to access but is quick access for me. That's what I leave open when adults are home and it only contains guns I want quick access to. The ones I routinely carry if I'm not carrying it at the time (like my vest carried BUG which doubles as my jogging fanny pack gun) and the home long gun.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

One thing I go a bit in circles on -

Having a less secure form of storage to my gun safe seems counter-intuitive for securing firearms. Particularly...because my most valuable tools are my defensive weapons which are kept in the quick access safe. While I don't think the Snapsafe slider is as secure as a proper burglary-rated safe, it's certainly as secure (against breaching) as your average RSC (which is what most 'gun safes' are anyways). The V-Line boxes are equally secure in my opinion.

If I could keep my gun safe within my bedroom (I cannot due to space constraints), I would simply open it and place my keys on top of it to not forget to close/lock it when leaving, in the morning. In lieu of that, I opted for the quick access under-bed safe.

My rambling ass point - I would opt for the most secure quick-access storage you can (in my opinion the V-Line is pretty damn close to 'it') if and only if you do not have rapid access to your more secure storage (because it's in another room, etc.).

If I can end up with the main safe in the bedroom, doing that (including keeping keys on top of it, etc.) may be the best solution for all those reasons. I will say your points are part of why I have identical copies of defense guns, or close to it. My carry gun is never in the big safe, but its identical twin training counterpart lives there and only comes out for dry fire and range trips.

User Tag List