Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apartment AR Storage for Home Defense

Apartment AR Storage for Home Defense

After all the help I got on my first thread, I now have a home defense AR I'm really happy with and confident in. And given all the craziness going on, I'm leaning on it a bit more as a primary HD option instead of a "if I have time to get to it" alternative to my pistol. For now, this means getting it in and out of the safe every day. I'd like to continue staging it for HD, for all the reasons a rifle beats a pistol in that role, but the constant in and out of safe routine isn't something I'm thrilled about having to do every day down the road.

I've read all the threads I could find here on staging long guns for quick access. I really like the idea of using bicycle hooks to keep it above a door inside a closet, at least until we have kids and they're climbing size, but for now I'm stuck with a walk in closet with a bathroom on the other side of it. Pest control is in there routinely, and when you're walking back out, anything above the door would be plainly visible. So that's not a great option in our current place. In the closet, my best solution for hiding it would be behind suits or something.

So my question is, do any current or former apartment dwellers have solutions for keeping a long gun handy while either hiding or securing it sufficiently to prevent tampering? I recognize no solution is likely to stop a determined thief. My main concern is reasonably preventing an unauthorized person getting quick access to a loaded gun while in my apartment.

I do recognize the irony of joining Pistol Forum and immediately asking a bunch of rifle questions. Rifle just happens to be where I have the most work to do now, after years of focusing on getting pistol skills and gear to an acceptable state. Just wait until I break down and buy a shotgun someday...

The large sized Hornady Snap Safe - https://www.snapsafe.com/specialty-safes/under-bed-safe - Will easily hold an AR15. Cable it around your bedframe or other relatively solid object. No, it won't prevent a determined thief. But it will certainly prevent unauthorized access for most folks. I doubt your pest control guys are looking under your bed...

Edit:

Here is the XXL I just setup. I went with the XXL, because I wanted room to hold a proper shotgun in it. As you can see, it is huge (48x24x7). And honestly, I wish it was a bit smaller. It also came in an absolutely huge, unwieldy, box that had nice big labels on the side to advertise to my neighbors I had bought a safe. I would recommend, if at all possible, picking one up a local dealer so you can remove the outer box (the inner box contains the safe and is a plain brown box). Seriously, the outer box this thing came in was 6” wider and taller than the inner box, which itself was 3” taller and wider than the safe.

Name:  48178BB6-5802-4297-AE0F-3AF927704B56.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  47.3 KB
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-05-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Site Supporter
    I use a V line rifle lock box mounted to the wall in my closet for quick access. I’m currently researching lock boxes for my son in law. With the current crazy he and my daughter have decided to become gun owners. Don’t overlook construction job boxes. Constructed of metal and secured with a padlock. They can be bolted down and are made for tool storage. Home Depot sells them and you can often find them on Craig’s list. Get a small one. Paint it and put a blanket chest padded top on it. I used one as a foot locker with a blanket on top of it when I was a bachelor

I live in an apartment. I use a stand up gun safe to secure my firearms. When I'm home my rifle comes out and is staged next to my bed leaning on my night stand with a loaded mag and a brownells safeport in the chamber. my clutch belt sits next to the rifle. When I'm out of the house the rifle goes back to the safe, easy as that. I also have my EDC pistol, that stays on my person.

+1 for the Vline box, it fits your criteria very well, I have had mine for about 12 years bolted into the wall of our bedroom closet

FWIW - I really like the V-Line box and simplicity of it. Probably moreso than the Snapsafe I bought.

Unfortunately, my building has very thick plaster walls and older (wider) stud centers. Plaster anchors do not work well in my experience for securing heavy objects. As a result, I didn't feel like I could reliably mount that option to my walls. If you have drywall with standard stud spacing it should work very well for you. I like the simplex lock and the additional barrel key locks.

Site Supporter
    Anyone seen this?

Name:  Quicksafe.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  19.7 KB
    --Jason--

@Blades,

That looks pretty worthless considering you can just pop the two receivers apart and remove it without ever touching the lock...
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Apartment AR Storage for Home Defense

https://tacticalwalls.com/product/12...locking-shelf/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've settled on the "SecureIT" modular system. Their "Fast Box" or "Agile 52" seem like good options. The Fast Box looks particularly interesting for a single gun, as you can turn it vertical or horizontal, depending on your needs. The nice thing about the Agile line (6 long gun capacity) is that you can disassemble it (from the inside) if you decide to move.

I'm lazy, so I prefer a vertical safe in the closet to a under-the-bed safe (ugh, it's sooooo faaaaar). I also prefer keypad locks to manual dial. I unlock it when I go to bed and lock it when I wake up.
    David S.

User Tag List