Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beretta 92 accessory rails: 1 slot vs 2 or 3

JDGlock34, according to the chart regarding 92A1s, the 92A1 slide will NOT work on non-92A1 frames. Is this true? If so, why? I have a 92A1 and I’m guessing it’s related to the frame buffer. If I take the barrel out and remount the slide, you can clearly see the slide hits the buffer with clearance between the slide impacting the frame directly. I thought I have seen Utubes with people interchanging all kinds of 92 slides and frames. Appreciate your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    JDGlock34, according to the chart regarding 92A1s, the 92A1 slide will NOT work on non-92A1 frames. Is this true? If so, why? I have a 92A1 and I’m guessing it’s related to the frame buffer. If I take the barrel out and remount the slide, you can clearly see the slide hits the buffer with clearance between the slide impacting the frame directly. I thought I have seen Utubes with people interchanging all kinds of 92 slides and frames. Appreciate your insight.
    The 90TWO and 92A1 have some slight dimensional differences from other 92 models due to the buffer. My understanding is that 90TWO/92A1 slides will not fit on anything but a 90TWO/92A1 frame. This dimensional difference also means that the 90TWO/92A1 may encounter compatibility issues with holsters designed for other 92 models.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Thanks! I never looked before today. But no question that buffer prevents impact from the slide onto the frame. The contact points are both sides of the frame forward of where the locking block interfaces with the frame. There are groves milled into the frame that control the vertical position of locking block as the slide moves rearward after the shot and then forward again being propelled by the recoil spring. I’m guessing the buffer was thought necessary for the 40 SW in the 96A1. And applied in the 9mm as well.

The buffer was originally introduced on the 90TWO, and you are correct that it was intended to address the high pressure of the .40 round.

The 90TWO introduced a number of features that were ahead of its time and revived for the M9A3 - notably the ability of the user to switch between FS and G operation as well as switching between Vertec and traditional 92 grip angles. Unfortunately it was the implementation of these features (particularly the polymer grip frame) that was lacking, not to mention the poorly chosen name, and resulted in the design overcorrection that is the 92A1.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

These are pics show the Beretta G10 grip on my M9A3. I was surprised that the grey grip looks ok on the tan gun. The second pic shows more obviously the difference between the Vertec grip and the standard grip shape.
    20191112_160804 by craig stuard, on Flickr

20200210_135430 by craig stuard, on Flickr

User Tag List