Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 accessory rails: 1 slot vs 2 or 3

Beretta 92 accessory rails: 1 slot vs 2 or 3

My 92A1 has 2 slots. The M9A3 has 3 slots. The M9A1 has 1 slot. What is the difference? I’m thinking it is the grooves along each side that matters. Are there perpendicular pins (on accessories) that reside in the slots for anchoring that makes the multi-slot rails more versatile? In summary, if you want a rail, does it matter how many slots you have?

Different frame on the one slot verses the three slot. One slot is the standard frame where the three slot is the Vertec frame. I expect the number of slots had to do with the military trials/specs (different sized add on's). Two slots are on the Wilson combat frames (both vertec and standard).
    I know there was a video on Youtube that went into more, but don't remember exactly who or where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Different frame on the one slot verses the three slot. One slot is the standard frame where the three slot is the Vertec frame.
    A Vertec frame is a frame with a straight “back strap”. It has nothing to do with slots. My 3 Vertecs all have a single slot.

What are the slots used for anyway? Do some accessories have location pins that interface with a slot? And having multiple slots allows you some mounting flexibility? I thought most people push a light all the way back until hits trigger guard so slots are not even needed?

The CTC lasers I have installed have small plastic pieces that fit in a rail slot and, on the other side, into a slot in the laser. They usually come w/ 4 varieties that allow one laser to fit many guns. The slots and the plastic pieces keep the laser from moving forward or back under recoil. I don't know if they would actually slide off the gun but they keep the gun anchored so the activation buttons or wings stay in one position re; one's finger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    What are the slots used for anyway? Do some accessories have location pins that interface with a slot? And having multiple slots allows you some mounting flexibility? I thought most people push a light all the way back until hits trigger guard so slots are not even needed?
    Different people have different size hands, so they require different positions of the same accessory to get good access. Different accessories require different positions to grant similar accessibility. If the dust cover is long enough, that means you can have multiple mounting points. More flexible/adaptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    Most accessories, especially the heavier ones do have a piece that locks in the slot. This allows for a secure mounting without having to crank down too tight on the frame, which could be problematic on certain polymer frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    A Vertec frame is a frame with a straight “back strap”. It has nothing to do with slots. My 3 Vertecs all have a single slot.
    I knew about the straight back. Mind if I ask, what models your 92's are and ages? (I thought the M9A3 was the first non Wilson Vertec, but didn't know for sure and prefer the regular frame, so didn't research that)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    I knew about the straight back. Mind if I ask, what models your 92's are and ages? (I thought the M9A3 was the first non Wilson Vertec, but didn't know for sure and prefer the regular frame, so didn't research that)

Thanks
    Vertec was the actual model name, or 92G Vertec to be specific They also had 92FS Vertec, 92D, 96, etc. I don’t know the year made, but mine were acquired around 2005.

I don't completely agree with this chart (the 92A1 is a derivative of the 90Two and not the M9A1 for example, and I would not list it as the M9A3's predecessor) but I think it does an excellent job of capturing the evolution of the 92 and its many variants.

Last edited by JSGlock34; 06-07-2020 at 08:54 AM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List