Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thumb on hammer holstering a SA/DA ?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I always thumb revolvers and Sigs, and why I prefer a hammer fired gun. It's a physical confirmation it's decocked and a way to detect and stop trigger movement from obstructions.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

My son has a Glock 17 and I have shot it. My impression is that it is a single action (only) trigger. At least compared to the Beretta 92 double action, there is no comparison which is “safer” by requiring a more deliberate , long trigger travel. There may be some basis on which to claim it is double action (I don’t know) but from my shooting it, the last thing I would call it is “double action”. But I am comparing it to my SW 686 and Beretta 92A1 in double action mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    My son has a Glock 17 and I have shot it. My impression is that it is a single action (only) trigger. At least compared to the Beretta 92 double action, there is no comparison which is “safer” by requiring a more deliberate , long trigger travel. There may be some basis on which to claim it is double action (I don’t know) but from my shooting it, the last thing I would call it is “double action”. But I am comparing it to my SW 686 and Beretta 92A1 in double action mode.
    Single action vs double action isn't determined by weight. It's determined by how many actions the trigger pull does. A single action's only action is to release. A double action cocks then releases. A Glock trigger finishes cocking the striker then releases it, thus two actions thus a double action.

It also allowed Glock to market them as double actions, which supposedly helped ease them into police circles, sometimes with the heavier NY- triggers.

Many would be surprised how even fairly light thumb pressure on the (Beretta 92) hammer makes it very hard for the trigger to move.

Site Supporter
    An SCD, hammer and/or manual safety is must on a carry gun for me. The only exception is my LCP.

You can feel the hammer move, but due to how recessed it is, you can’t easily prevent movement. The trigger pull is so long that I can live with this for the intended purpose of the LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Stony Lane View Post
    Many would be surprised how even fairly light thumb pressure on the (Beretta 92) hammer makes it very hard for the trigger to move.
    Bill Rogers stated that x amount of pressure on hammer requires 7x amount of pressure on trigger to overcome. No idea where he got those numbers though.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Regarding the SCD.

I have found that it is more sensitive to proper thumb placement than a hammer is. It can be more easily overcome than a hammer. If you pair an SCD with an NY1 trigger, then you have something very close to a hammer.

The SCD is a brilliant device, and should be on every Glock. It’s the only reason I will consider Glock as a carry option.

I once read somewhere that one should never need to re-holster quickly. Not sure if this is true all the time but the sentiment stands. One should take care to holster without snagging, and a hammer just helps keep the mind at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanIcon View Post
    I once read somewhere that one should never need to re-holster quickly. Not sure if this is true all the time but the sentiment stands. One should take care to holster without snagging, and a hammer just helps keep the mind at ease.
    That's not true and I have real world experiences were a fast holstering was required.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    That's not true and I have real world experiences were a fast holstering was required.
    Do tell!

User Tag List