Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thumb on hammer holstering a SA/DA ?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanIcon View Post
    Do tell!
    I've detailed them elsewhere here before. Most recently guy with a machete. Threw machete at me, then charged me. No longer armed with a deadly weapon but still a threat.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanIcon View Post
    Do tell!
    Meth head in a stolen car. Lead a 85+mph pusuit on city streets while shooting at my boss... Bailed out to chase the driver with an officer from another agency. While he was threatening to taze with all the attendant warnings I had to vault a fence to take the dude into custody under power...speed holstering was important, no, vital.

While teaching Active Shooter Response to CCW folks, I have to emphasize that the cops are rolling in looking for the dude with the gun. If it is you, it will be a rightous shoot, and it would suck to be you. If you drill an active shooter you need to holster before the cops get there.

I owe an apology to every student to whom I have preached preached "there is no race to get back into the holster..."

I even had a procedure for the same thing when I carried a 1911. The search button is your friend.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-05-2020 at 04:52 PM.

Mike Panone is another advocate of thumbing the hammer while reholstering.

In conjunction with thumbing the hammer, Panone uses his thumb to confirm the slide is in battery as the gun is secured in the holster. He says the slide can move out of battery when the pistol is pushed into in a snug holster, and this can induce a malfunction when the pistol is drawn next. If memory serves, he said the problem was more common with leather holsters.

Thank you for the updates. I was always curious if that statement stood true. I am a frequenter of other gun forums but was directed here by a good friend. I will be reading up as much as I can but you all do have an expansive list of posts!

Mark D, so the idea is if you are thumbing down on the hammer while inserting the pistol in holster, the downward pressure will resist any upward slide movement from holster friction, thereby preventing it from coming out of battery? Wow. That’s 2 good reasons to thumb down while holstering. The other being no inadvertent trigger actuation.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Bill Rogers stated that x amount of pressure on hammer requires 7x amount of pressure on trigger to overcome. No idea where he got those numbers though.
    If Bill Rogers made the statement the numbers probably came from him and he mostly likely put in actual research to come up with that data.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    That's not true and I have real world experiences were a fast holstering was required.
    It would have probably been more accurate to say that there are very few instances where a private citizen would need to speed holster their pistol.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    It would have probably been more accurate to say that there are very few instances where a private citizen would need to speed holster their pistol.
    Sure. A subset of a subset but not never. Odds, stakes, all that.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    Mark D, so the idea is if you are thumbing down on the hammer while inserting the pistol in holster, the downward pressure will resist any upward slide movement from holster friction, thereby preventing it from coming out of battery? Wow. That’s 2 good reasons to thumb down while holstering. The other being no inadvertent trigger actuation.
    Panone said he confirms the slide is in battery by using the ball of his thumb to feel the slide/frame junction. On most pistols, if that spot is flush, the slide is in battery. If there's a "step" between the slide and frame, the slide has moved rearward during holstering. For most of us with normal sized thumbs, I think this is performed after thumbing the hammer and securing the pistol in the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    That's not true and I have real world experiences were a fast holstering was required.
    Not challenging, but do tell. I've been in classes where getting the gun back in the holster right now appeared to be a priority. And I maintained distance from those people due to only that.

ETA: I seem to be not alone.

User Tag List