Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New Hornady 6mm ARC cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Compass Lake is turning barrels.

There is a good thread at Snipers Hide in the semi auto section. Realistic velocity is probably 2550-2700 fps for barrels in the 16-20" range. Some barrels seem fast, others slow. Generally people are happy with it saying that it delivers on "LR" accuracy and it's relatively easy to reload for. The thread is a stark contrast to all of the early 224V threads that were littered with posts asking why they couldn't find a factory or homebrew load that would group.

I haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet due to the current ammo market. Everything is unobtanium, and I don't reload, so I'm not interested in building a $800-1k upper that I can't find ammo for.
    Mags, from what I've seen on other boards, are kind of hit or miss. ASC is making a dedicated 6 ARC mag so maybe that'll help. I guess until PRI or Barrett can make mags we'll continue to see issues. That's a guess, of course, but the PRI and Barrett mags have always worked well in 6.8.

I understand about not getting into the 6 without being a reloader. Even then nobody has brass and the dies aren't super common yet. Lee, Hornady and RCBS appear to be making them but finding them in stock is another issue.

Ideally I'll wait until someone like Midway has brass, dies, a barrel/bolt and mags in stock so I don't have to piecemeal or pay shipping from multiple sources.

Hopefully these don’t blow up mid air like their 147 ELD’s.

Site Supporter
    I have been collecting parts and waiting on the "Black Friday" sales. I have a lower set up for target work currently using with 223 Wylde, 224V, and 6.5 Grendel uppers. I have a new "Grendel" BCG on hand, a stripped BCM upper, ALG 15 inch handguard, rifle gas tube. Currently planning to get a Shaw 22 inch AR barrel. This is for steel target work and maybe coyotes. Still interested in a possible bolt rifle in 6mm ARC as "poor mans" 6mm BR - may try a Savage build.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I’ll be keeping an eye on this load. When I get out of this God forsaken state I would really like to build an AR15 for Antelope and Deer.

Compass Lake is turning barrels.
    I've sent CLE an email Inquiring about production and availability.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Im not much of a big game hunter but found this quote interesting from the thread on SH

Took the 6mm ARC hunting yesterday and brought along a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt rifle. Never unzipped the bolt gun's case! Harvested 4 small to medium sized Georgia does. Shot distance was from 100 yards to 250 yards using the Hornady 108 ELD-M with a muzzle velocity of 2670. Three dropped at the spot and one less than 25 yards from impact. The bullet and rifle performed superbly.
    The ELD-M is not considered a hunting bullet. The 103 ELD-X is, but another poster chimed in that the 108 has worked fine for him, even on a mule deer.

Also, the powders to use look to be CFE 223 and LeverRevolution. A good friend has tried both in 223 loads and thinks they are almost the same powder, with CFE having the de-coppering agent.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Im not much of a big game hunter but found this quote interesting from the thread on SH

The ELD-M is not considered a hunting bullet. The 103 ELD-X is, but another poster chimed in that the 108 has worked fine for him, even on a mule deer.

Also, the powders to use look to be CFE 223 and LeverRevolution. A good friend has tried both in 223 loads and thinks they are almost the same powder, with CFE having the de-coppering agent.
    The 6mm ARC is relatively slow compared to the other 6mm cartridges on the market. Pure speculation but at lower velocities the lighter match bullet may perform similarly to the ELD-X at higher velocities. Lots of anecdotes in 6.5G reloading seems to indicate good game performance with the AMAX and ELDM bullets at lower 6.5G velocities.

Personally I'd like to see some factory bonded SP and/or monolithic rounds for hunting.

The 6mm ARC is relatively slow compared to the other 6mm cartridges on the market. Pure speculation but at lower velocities the lighter match bullet may perform similarly to the ELD-X at higher velocities. Lots of anecdotes in 6.5G reloading seems to indicate good game performance with the AMAX and ELDM bullets at lower 6.5G velocities.

Personally I'd like to see some factory bonded SP and/or monolithic rounds for hunting.
    Nosler E-tip or Accubond. https://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bulle...llet-50ct.html

I have not used them in the 6mm, but both are precise out of my AR......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I don’t have experience with the 6mm, but myself and others have killed lots of deer with 6.5mm 140 ELD-M. People make too much of the “but it’s not a hunting bullet.” They kill the crap out of thin skinned game. I wouldn’t use one on an elk (I have used the .30 200gr ELD-X with excellent results), but they work on deer just fine. It wasn’t that long ago that hunters all over were using Nosler ballistic tips, and Winchester ballistic tips. Those bullets were directly marketed to deer hunters. The ELD-M isn’t that much different of a bullet.

Site Supporter
    Oh, and hunters have been piling up deer with the 6mm for decades. Mostly known as the .243 Winchester 😁

User Tag List