Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hornady 6mm ARC cartridge

Site Supporter
    Issue with 223 is ultimately bullet weight. I can make hits on steel with 77s at 800 yards but unless clean steel cannot see hits. 6.5 Grendel with 123s in AR clearly mark and move steel at 800. Lots of PRS competitors using 6mm 105 to 115 at distance. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Issue with 223 is ultimately bullet weight. I can make hits on steel with 77s at 800 yards but unless clean steel cannot see hits. 6.5 Grendel with 123s in AR clearly mark and move steel at 800. Lots of PRS competitors using 6mm 105 to 115 at distance. Time will tell
    For me, shooting .223 beyond 800yds is boring. I want something that moves the steel, so we don't have to guess at hits. I've been having a ton of fun with my Grendel out to 1150yds. Having a bullet that's transonic stable is important. I also like the basically unlimited barrel life.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Thought this might be informative to share:

Worth the twenty minutes:

https://youtu.be/i0Dl0gwNxCY

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

A bit on the cartridge and the Barrett REC7 rifle:

This new round sounds like it could make the AR15 into a true general purpose rifle.

Considering our late interest in PDWs, I wonder how it does with short barrels.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

So...6mm ARC is just 6mm Grendel?

I’m always on the fence about lighter weight/smaller projectiles, that don’t see a substantial gain in velocity.

I know it’s not a linear relationship - but if I give up 28.5% of my bullet weight (assuming moving down from 140 to 100), I want to gain that percent back in velocity. That should give me a roughly equal terminal effect at the same range, but with less drop (assuming same or better BC for the smaller bullets). It doesn’t work that way when caliber is the same, but when you step down in caliber, higher BCs come with lower weights. So that should be the case going from say 6.5G to 6ARC.

Since both calibers require a specific magazine to function in the AR platform, I don’t see folks who are already running a non 5.56 gun opting to move to 6ARC from 6.5G at least, maybe from 6.8SPCII.

I guess I’ll never quite understand why people haven’t tried to bring the 6x45mm back...sure seems like an easy solution to “more power same gun” problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Thought this might be informative to share:

That was informative, and makes a lot of sense. My love of the 6.5 Grendel is based entirely on the 123gr Sierra Match King, which is transonically stable. I actually haven't had great luck with other bullets in this caliber. The first generation of Hornady ELD-m tipped 123gr bullets tumbled after dropping out of supersonic velocity. I understand that the new ones are stable but haven't tried them.

The argument that 6mm offers a wider range of bullets is very compelling. I'm warming to this caliber. I doubt I'll buy in any time soon because my Grendel does everything I need. But if I was buying now, I'm not sure which I would choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    This new round sounds like it could make the AR15 into a true general purpose rifle.

Considering our late interest in PDWs, I wonder how it does with short barrels.
    The 6.5 Grendel already did that, and does really well in 11.5". The ARC looks good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    So...6mm ARC is just 6mm Grendel?

I’m always on the fence about lighter weight/smaller projectiles, that don’t see a substantial gain in velocity.

I know it’s not a linear relationship - but if I give up 28.5% of my bullet weight (assuming moving down from 140 to 100)...
    123 is the heaviest viable 6.5 Grendel bullet for the AR-15 platform.

User Tag List