Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 question

Gen 5 question

I know the Gen 5s have some updates, that are must haves. What Im not sure of is do all the Gen 5s have these updates.
    I think one of the updates is some sort of cut on the breechface but Im not sure. I think there is one more that really needs to be there.
    I need some help here about exactly what they are and how do I determine if the model I am looking at has these improvements.
    If it makes any difference Ill be buying through the Blue Label Program.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

The latest Gen5 Glocks have the breech-face-notch.

Read the various photos; study the photos; go to your LGS; to see what this notch looks like.

Not all Gen5 guns had the notch (which aids in ejection of spent cases when shooting). Earlier Gen5 Glocks did not have the notch.
    From what I've read, not even all Gen5 Glocks with the forward serrations had the notch initially.

With the notch, some folks have complained it made manually ejecting a live round more difficult compared to Glocks without the notch. This is something in which to be aware.

I've got a G17gen5 and a G19gen5. Both do not have the breech-face-notch. Mine are the early Gen5 Glocks without foward slide serrations and have the front-strap cutouts as the 19M and 17M guns had.

Since the Gen5 Glocks first came out, other minor parts upgrades/changes have since been made, too (frame bevel; ejector; slide-stop's spring) come to mind. Whether any of these changes are "must have" is up to the buyer. Just get the latest serial number range and learn to identify the breech-face-notch to determine if it's there before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post

Read the various photos; study the photos; go to your LGS; to see what this notch looks like.

Not all Gen5 guns had the notch (which aids in ejection of spent cases when shooting). Earlier Gen5 Glocks did not have the notch.
    From what I've read, not even all Gen5 Glocks with the forward serrations had the notch initially.

With the notch, some folks have complained it made manually ejecting a live round more difficult compared to Glocks without the notch. This is something in which to be aware.

I've got a G17gen5 and a G19gen5. Both do not have the breech-face-notch. Mine are the early Gen5 Glocks without foward slide serrations and have the front-strap cutouts as the 19M and 17M guns had.

Since the Gen5 Glocks first came out, other minor parts upgrades/changes have since been made, too (frame bevel; ejector; slide-stop's spring) come to mind. Whether any of these changes are "must have" is up to the buyer. Just get the latest serial number range and learn to identify the breech-face-notch to determine if it's there before buying.
    More difficult to eject as in the slide is harder to pull back?

So I was incorrect. Aside from aesthetics's the functional issue is only the breechface notch.
    I dont understand why they have to put the forward cocking serrations so far forward. Why dont they put them directly in front of the ejection port.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    More difficult to eject as in the slide is harder to pull back?
    Harder to pull back.

First time I ejected a snap cap I thought I had some type of a malfunction, I couldn't get the slide to rack. I was comparing my Gen3 to it. So I did the comparison again. It is very, very obvious.

With a Gen 3 you can very slowly and easily ease the slide back and the round will just "pop" out. You can't do that with the Gen 5s or the G43X I had. You must briskly operate the slide to eject it and when it comes out, you have to go look for it.

The effect of the breech face cut is dramatic on brass ejection though.

I much prefer it.

I wasn’t aware of this (or didn’t internalize it), but after poking around I see some of the discussion on GT that may be what you’re referring to. I agree it is something to be aware of. Don’t have a gen 5 to experiment with. Did anyone dig into this here on P-F?

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    First time I ejected a snap cap I thought I had some type of a malfunction, I couldn't get the slide to rack. I was comparing my Gen3 to it. So I did the comparison again. It is very, very obvious.
    Difficulty extracting a snap cap or ST Action Pro during dry practice with the gen5 is more about the shape of the striker. This was seen almost immediately after release and is corrected by elevation of the muzzle during cycling ("workspace"), or use of the OEM dummies.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Difficulty extracting a snap cap or ST Action Pro during dry practice with the gen5 is more about the shape of the striker. This was seen almost immediately after release and is corrected by elevation of the muzzle during cycling ("workspace"), or use of the OEM dummies.
    Feels similar to me as live rounds.

I don't have any experience with Gen 5s that don't have the breech face cut so I defer to others experience with this.

I just tried it with my A-zoom caps and it does make it easier.

I have a recently purchased (2 months ago?) front serration G19 with the breech face cut. Technically, the cut is not in the "face" of the breech, but the side of the slide opposite the extractor. The extractor seems to push the rim of the cartridge into the groove on the left side of the breech face and maintain far more control of the cartridge during extraction (probably feeding too, but I don't know this for a fact). Sorta like the difference between a push-feed Rem 700 vs a "controlled round feed" Winchester Model 70. Live rounds are indeed slightly harder to eject from the gun, requiring brisk cycling of the slide. I would prefer that any "new" Glock I bought have this cutout, based on how well this new gun seems to be working, but I don't have a non-cut Gen5 to compare it to, so that may just be me blowing smoke.

The extraction/ejection of the gun seems more consistent than any of my old Gen 3 or Gen 4 guns... it seems to really lob the brass compared to the old guns. I consider this a good thing. I never had issues with my "old" Gen 3's... even with "mouse fart" handloads, extraction/ejection always was functionally fine, if not very consistent. The Gen 4 19 I had did lob an empty or two more "up" than to the right sometimes, though I never had BTF issues.

I think there is also a "new" ejector in some of the newest Gen 5 guns, I think RJ (?) had a post where he replaced a few parts in a Gen5 19 that listed the new part number.

I believe the "newest" guns have the breech cut, front serrations, the tapered frame to match the tapered muzzle cut, and in the case of the Glock 19, no cut out on the front of the grip frame. I'm unsure if that last bit applies to the full size frame guns or not.

User Tag List