Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt gun........Bergara Ridgeback premier (looking at .308)

Bolt gun........Bergara Ridgeback premier (looking at .308)

Not ready for 6.5CM yet. But I want something nicer and smoother than my R700 SPS tactical 20" HB. Which is going to be my budget build. (Magpul Hunter chassis, magpul bi-pod, Primary Arms HUD DMR 3-18, and Steiner rings lol).

BUT I want a nice bolt action to put a can on. .308 is easy for me to source and I can shoot the hell out of it to learn, then get on the 6.5CM train. I'm in research mode right now to be honest. I'm set on .308 though, so keep that in mind please. But I'm looking to do this one in the factory chassis, ATLAS Bi pod, and nice glass/rings.

Anyone got one?

Just pointing out, at $2k, there's a ton of stuff you can do.

Factory-wise, the Bergera goes for more than a Tikka T3 Tact. You're losing some of the "just stick Remmy parts on it" upgradeability of the Bergera, but you really shouldn't need to change anything. The Tikka uses proprietary magazines @ $90, but regular-price metal AICS magazines aren't cheap, either. The biggest downside I can see is the difficulty involved in swapping barrels, but the barrel life on .308 is such that that won't be a big issue unless you put a ton of rounds through it. There are far more shooters that worry about barrel life, than actually manage to shoot out a barrel. Alternatively, sell the Remington, and grab a Tikka T3 Varmint in .308. Take the money you saved not upgrading the Remington, and spend it on glass--either a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2, something from the Bushnell Forge line, or a Nightforce that suits your needs.

$2k will also get you into a budget custom action with a decent-enough chassis (admittedly, barely). The tools will put you over, but once you have them, you have them, and if you start shooting in volume you're going to want to swap your own barrels anyway.

Personally, though, I would just stick with the Remington. Grab better glass (there are cheaper rings than the Steiners, if you haven't already bought them). Get some good bags, and a ton of ammo.

I would also consider whether 6.5CM makes sense for you. What ranges do you shoot at? If you're interested in competition, what's available in your area? Is reloading something you could possibly get into in the future?

Site Supporter
    I have a Bergara HMR in 6.5CM - a lot of rifle for price. Recently bought a Tikka T3X Varmint in 223; again lots of rifle for price. I would look at a Bergara HMR or Tikka Varmint in 308. Or, you may find a very nice used custom 308 bolt gun at a steal. I know multiple long range shooters with nice 308s covered in dust in the safe.

Also you can buy prefit barrels for Tikka, cannot buy prefits for lower price point Bergaras - not sure about higher end Bergaras.

If you are sold on 308 would consider faster twist barrels to use new higher BC projectiles if you choose to reach out long as possible also longer barrels.

I am perfectly happy with my Harris bipod
    Last edited by ranger; 06-04-2020 at 04:52 PM.

Why dont you want to get on the 6.5 cm train?

Tikka is the default answer and then throw it in a KRG Bravo to use AICS mags.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    Not ready for 6.5CM yet. But I want something nicer and smoother than my R700 SPS tactical 20" HB. Which is going to be my budget build. (Magpul Hunter chassis, magpul bi-pod, Primary Arms HUD DMR 3-18, and Steiner rings lol).

BUT I want a nice bolt action to put a can on. .308 is easy for me to source and I can shoot the hell out of it to learn, then get on the 6.5CM train. I'm in research mode right now to be honest. I'm set on .308 though, so keep that in mind please. But I'm looking to do this one in the factory chassis, ATLAS Bi pod, and nice glass/rings.

Anyone got one?
    What are you trying to accomplish other than "nicer and smoother" and running a can?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    What are you trying to accomplish other than "nicer and smoother" and running a can?

Okie John
    Honestly I already stock .308 and have a healthy reserve of it. I've also never had an issue sourcing it even during panics. So honestly that's my goal. Something to reach out to 800-1000 yards. That's the most I'll need here in FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Just pointing out, at $2k, there's a ton of stuff you can do.

Factory-wise, the Bergera goes for more than a Tikka T3 Tact. You're losing some of the "just stick Remmy parts on it" upgradeability of the Bergera, but you really shouldn't need to change anything. The Tikka uses proprietary magazines @ $90, but regular-price metal AICS magazines aren't cheap, either. The biggest downside I can see is the difficulty involved in swapping barrels, but the barrel life on .308 is such that that won't be a big issue unless you put a ton of rounds through it. There are far more shooters that worry about barrel life, than actually manage to shoot out a barrel. Alternatively, sell the Remington, and grab a Tikka T3 Varmint in .308. Take the money you saved not upgrading the Remington, and spend it on glass--either a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2, something from the Bushnell Forge line, or a Nightforce that suits your needs.

$2k will also get you into a budget custom action with a decent-enough chassis (admittedly, barely). The tools will put you over, but once you have them, you have them, and if you start shooting in volume you're going to want to swap your own barrels anyway.

Personally, though, I would just stick with the Remington. Grab better glass (there are cheaper rings than the Steiners, if you haven't already bought them). Get some good bags, and a ton of ammo.

I would also consider whether 6.5CM makes sense for you. What ranges do you shoot at? If you're interested in competition, what's available in your area? Is reloading something you could possibly get into in the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have a Bergara HMR in 6.5CM - a lot of rifle for price. Recently bought a Tikka T3X Varmint in 223; again lots of rifle for price. I would look at a Bergara HMR or Tikka Varmint in 308. Or, you may find a very nice used custom 308 bolt gun at a steal. I know multiple long range shooters with nice 308s covered in dust in the safe.

Also you can buy prefit barrels for Tikka, cannot buy prefits for lower price point Bergaras - not sure about higher end Bergaras.

If you are sold on 308 would consider faster twist barrels to use new higher BC projectiles if you choose to reach out long as possible also longer barrels.

I am perfectly happy with my Harris bipod

I'm saving the custom build for when I have custom build money. I'm one of those guys that when I buy nice I want to buy once. I'm also good with .308 and I like how the Bergara feels if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Why dont you want to get on the 6.5 cm train?

Tikka is the default answer and then throw it in a KRG Bravo to use AICS mags.

Honestly I already have .308 stocked and readily available. 6.5CM is another caliber that I will get into one day, but with what I have now it doesn't make sense to dive into another caliber. I have two ranges around me where I can get into 800-1000 yards. But that's the absolute max range I can shoot. I also don't have the precision discipline as of yet.

While I'm setting up my R700 SPS tac, I have my HK MR762 with the Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 to play with/learn. But outside of that I don't as of right now have a place where 6.5CM makes sense. But I'm also not saying I'm not going to get into it at some point and that .308 is "JuSt As GOoD."

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_2701.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  40.7 KB

I have a Rem 700 LTR 308 with 20 inch barrel. I added a Timney trigger, lead and epoxy into the hollow cavity of the factory Bell and Carlson stock, a cheek rest, and had local gunsmith (Accurate Ordnance) thread the barrel. I alternate between an AAC suppressor and an Area 419 brake. I have run this to 800 yards with 168s and 175s will take it a little farther. I do not think I can get this rifle to 1000 reliably due to short barrel and 1:12 twist. If you are focused on 800 - I would tweak your existing rifle and rock on with 175s. I had my Rem 700 LTR in a KRG Bravo and loved it - I pulled the KRG for a custom barreled action.

I'd still get a Tikka ctr and throw it in a krg stock and call it a day.

Bergara makes good stuff, no matter which model.

Buying a rifle chambered in 308 today is like buying a Chevy Impala. It will get you from point A to B reliably, but it's boring and if you go to sell it are going to take a bath. If you absolutely need a Bergera in 308, shop the used market and let the last guy who owned it take the hit.

Unless you are planning on hunting big game, I would get a fast twist 223 bolt gun. With a high BC 75+ grain bullet, It will ring steel and punch holes in paper just as good as a 308 will, and cost way less to shoot.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List