Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which SA/DA handgun for a novice with dry-fire training as primary goal?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    If you can find one, those older P320's that haven't been recalled have a small feature where you get audible and tactile feedback when you press the trigger even when the striker has already dropped. On that note, does the cardboard/zip tie dryfire trick work on the P320? I know it does for sure with Glocks

You do already have a red dot, it's a very helpful tool in diagnosing what you're doing with a trigger press as it is.
    I don’t think it’s a good idea to have a gun around that is so prone to fire if dropped. Even if he dedicated it as a dry fire gun if he dies a day after he gets it and a family member who doesn’t know about a recall ends up owning it bad things could happen. 320’s without the recall should be fixed or destroyed.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    The CoolFire system will actually cycle your slide and reset the trigger.

I love getting guns, but this could bee a case where getting an accessory system may be more beneficial.
    I'll second this. It's cheaper than another gun except for possibly the P250 suggestion which isn't a terrible idea either, IMO. But this will get you up to speed on your gun. Your trigger, your sights and all that jazz.

They are a vast improvement over squeezing a dead trigger. I'm closing in on a 5 second FAST Drill on a reduced scale target in my bedroom reloading from the pocket. I'd be there if it weren't for the pocket, but that's how I carry. Of course I have to simulate the slide lock reload but no other system is as close to real live fire that I'm aware of. It also comes with a laser that's handy for troubleshooting but I don't use it much as I find myself watching for the dot instead of looking at my sights. Nice to have it available if/when needed though.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Thirded. I’ve been using it since November and although it can be finicky at times maintenance wise, it literally has tens of thousands of “shots” on it now and has only needed some small o-rings and stuff, and an IR laser battery. One still has to work on movement with the gun and so on if one wants to get good as USPSA especially, and I’m the poster girl for someone needing to spend more time working movement because I’m giving up a lot of time compared to the people who are good at everything (of course they’re also better pure shooters than i, but the gap is at least a little less). But it’s still cool to set up scale drills, like dot torture, IDPA 5 x 5, speed steel stages, and other stuff where movement isn’t needed. Actually I’ve got stuff set up to move in my garage, I just don’t always do enough of it. I do and can work weird shooting positions, prone, from behind a car, Shooting on the move etc. I use LASR to track hits.

To echo Bergeron, it’s really nice for those of us who use DA / SA guns because you get all the transition from DA to SA and you can work it so hard and so often you stop even thinking about it. That follows up something GJM said elsewhere here.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I'll second this. It's cheaper than another gun except for possibly the P250 suggestion which isn't a terrible idea either, IMO. But this will get you up to speed on your gun. Your trigger, your sights and all that jazz.

They are a vast improvement over squeezing a dead trigger. I'm closing in on a 5 second FAST Drill on a reduced scale target in my bedroom reloading from the pocket. I'd be there if it weren't for the pocket, but that's how I carry. Of course I have to simulate the slide lock reload but no other system is as close to real live fire that I'm aware of. It also comes with a laser that's handy for troubleshooting but I don't use it much as I find myself watching for the dot instead of looking at my sights. Nice to have it available if/when needed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Great answers so far, as expected...it is P-F afterall.

And now for something completely different: the Ruger LCR...the Ruger LCR.

Everyone should have a snubbie of some flavor, I prefer the LCR to the j-frame, YMMV.

You can DA dry fire to your heart's content and as is often said around here, getting good with a snubbie will make you better with larger pistols.

You can get the LCR in 9mm and not have to add another caliber to your world, if that matters to you.

Per Ruger, you can dry fire the .22LR version of the LCR and as you master that heavier rimfire trigger pull, you will again reap even greater benefits when shooting other platforms. And since it's a .22LR, you can pretty much live fire to your heart's content and reap all the benefits.
    Necro post but my lcr 22 has has been an amazing tool

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Stoeger’s book would be fine to start.

For magazine inserted, but slide lockback - here you go: https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Safety-T.../dp/B07CNBDHSB
    I was just checking to see if anyone had suggested the Roger's TRT! Good man!

User Tag List