Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which SA/DA handgun for a novice with dry-fire training as primary goal?

Question Which SA/DA handgun for a novice with dry-fire training as primary goal?

I bought myself an M17 a couple of months ago with a DPP optic. Over the past couple of months I've done some basic training, got some range time in (~800 live rounds), and have started using the Mantis X for dry-fire training. It's not a bad gun (although I wish I just got a P320 instead), and I'm getting reasonably happy with my improvements (can shoot a 2" group at 10 yards if I take it slow).

The problem is, dry-fire training with this weapon is a bit of a ball-ache with having to rack the slide on every shot.

Naively, I think I'd like to pick up a DAO or SA/DA handgun so I can do dry-fire training a bit more effectively. In this vein I'm also thinking that a pistol with a fairly "normal" trigger is the way to go so I can really nail the fundamentals. I'm planning on sticking with irons for this to keep things varied.

Is my logic sound here?

If so does anybody have any suggestions on what weapon or weapon family I should be looking at? I'm mostly interested in improving my performance so I can get into competition eventually (and thus would prefer a heavy, full-size pistol), a pic rail to attach the Mantis (although buying a mag base pad isn't out of the question), and reasonably popularity (in case I want to modify down the road). I'm leaning towards 9mm as that's what I'm shooting now.

In my research it seems either an M9A1, a SP-01, or perhaps a P226 (although I don't really want another Sig) would be the obvious choices. Are those all reasonable, should I pick one over the other, is there one I missed entirely? Am I approaching this all wrong?

Thanks!

P.S. Hello all!

No argument that dry firing enhances your skills. But as a Novice shooter, I recommend that you get initial instruction from a reputable firearms instructor. I taught firearms at the Police Academy for several years and it was much easier to instruct a novice with no bad habits that had to be broken than someone with a lot of shooting time, but loaded with faults that had to be corrected and relearned. Good instruction is paramount. For example, I had every NRA Law Enforcement Instructor qualification offered except for fully Automatic (machine gun) with years experience teaching and yet when I started instructing civilians, had to get new Instructor qualifications from the NRA. Along with the process picked up an Instructor rating to teach from USCCA. So check credentials before paying for the instruction that you are going to get. And references will also help. There's a lot of good choices out there, so don't settle on a marginal instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by marinedoc View Post
    No argument that dry firing enhances your skills. But as a Novice shooter, I recommend that you get initial instruction from a reputable firearms instructor. I taught firearms at the Police Academy for several years and it was much easier to instruct a novice with no bad habits that had to be broken than someone with a lot of shooting time, but loaded with faults that had to be corrected and relearned. Good instruction is paramount. For example, I had every NRA Law Enforcement Instructor qualification offered except for fully Automatic (machine gun) with years experience teaching and yet when I started instructing civilians, had to get new Instructor qualifications from the NRA. Along with the process picked up an Instructor rating to teach from USCCA. So check credentials before paying for the instruction that you are going to get. And references will also help. There's a lot of good choices out there, so don't settle on a marginal instructor.
    Good points, I did get some training as part of a small class (3 people, 1 instructor), but definitely will look into getting some one on one training too. I see you mentioned a few, but are there any specific credentials I should be looking at?

I am biased, but the SP01 you mentioned would be a great tool for what you are describing. I would put a very light hammer spring in for dry fire (with an extended firing pin and maybe some polishing if you also want to live fire with that light hammer spring).

This is totally subjective, but theres just something about picking up a chunk of steel that is intangible and makes me want to practice with the weapon. With soulless plastic I just have to motivate myself more to want to practice quite as much.

I went all in on the P07/09 and havent shot my SP01 in a while, but last night I was doing a bit of dry fire with it and remembered how much I love shooting it and messing with it. The weight and inherent shootability of the gun makes you look good shooting it, and minimizes recoil which can be useful for helping diagnose/isolate certain technique issues you may have.

Having said all that, there is probably a hardware solution that would make it easier to dry fire your P320. Im not familiar with them but something analogous to sticking something in the ejection port of a Glock to give it a spongy trigger for dry fire stroking?

I'll be the contrarian and suggest just get used to racking the slide. You don't have to do a full rack, just enough to get to the reset.

Plus I'm used to it from years of Glock dryfiring....

Best, Jon

If you're a novice, it's best to stick with one system until you have a good grounding in the fundamentals.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

You may be able to find a used Beretta 92 for pretty cheap on the shelves of your local gunshop, depending on the local panic levels.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

What kind of DA pull do you want to master?

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    I bought myself an M17 a couple of months ago with a DPP optic. Over the past couple of months I've done some basic training, got some range time in (~800 live rounds), and have started using the Mantis X for dry-fire training. It's not a bad gun (although I wish I just got a P320 instead), and I'm getting reasonably happy with my improvements (can shoot a 2" group at 10 yards if I take it slow).

The problem is, dry-fire training with this weapon is a bit of a ball-ache with having to rack the slide on every shot.

Naively, I think I'd like to pick up a DAO or SA/DA handgun so I can do dry-fire training a bit more effectively. In this vein I'm also thinking that a pistol with a fairly "normal" trigger is the way to go so I can really nail the fundamentals. I'm planning on sticking with irons for this to keep things varied.

Is my logic sound here?

If so does anybody have any suggestions on what weapon or weapon family I should be looking at? I'm mostly interested in improving my performance so I can get into competition eventually (and thus would prefer a heavy, full-size pistol), a pic rail to attach the Mantis (although buying a mag base pad isn't out of the question), and reasonably popularity (in case I want to modify down the road). I'm leaning towards 9mm as that's what I'm shooting now.

In my research it seems either an M9A1, a SP-01, or perhaps a P226 (although I don't really want another Sig) would be the obvious choices. Are those all reasonable, should I pick one over the other, is there one I missed entirely? Am I approaching this all wrong?

Thanks!

P.S. Hello all!
    I'm a Beretta fanboy, and I think the M92 has the most "classic DA revolver feel" of TDA semis. But if you want a shorter pull, 226 might be the way to go.

Given your criteria, If I was getting a TDA for competition, I would see which platforms seemed easiest to maintain, then see which DA pull I preferred. Of course, you're in a good place here at P-F if you go Beretta. The px4 was a great deal for a while, and the DA can be great, and it is heavy enough for great control, particularly with the rotating action.

I'd look at all the CZ, Beretta, and SIG options you can.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Which SA/DA handgun for a novice with dry-fire training as primary goal?

@Aea, ok. This sounds like a good idea, but it’s not and here’s why. While learning how to pull the trigger correctly can be done in dryfire, it’s not the only—or most important—reason to dryfire. I dryfire 30-60min a day, every day, and mostly don’t pull the DA/SA trigger on my CZ Shadow2.

You want dryfire to help you practice with the gun you actually shoot. If you want to switch to a TDA Gun because you like that, no argument here! But don’t switch for dryfire.

You can work on draws, holstering safely, reloads, transitions, movement, awkward positions, and so much more without pulling the trigger. In fact, I’ve come to realize that pulling the trigger gets in the way of a lot of dryfire drills. Now, I focus (pun intended) on an acceptable sight picture and target acquisition. I often skip the trigger press.

Get a good dryfire book, and carry on!
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-03-2020 at 07:37 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

What about the P320 Sirt pistol?

https://nextleveltraining.com/product/sirt-20/
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List