Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FN FNX45 vs Springfield XDM Elite vs Beretta M9A3 - which would you buy?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by aimcat View Post
    Let me ask this these are his other hand guns I know one is a sig...i want something that will be a little different.

Attachment 55322
    Is this going to be a surprise? Because for a lot of people guns are the type of personal thing that sometimes don’t work out well as a surprise. Please consider this to supercede my previous advice, but I think your best bet might be an invite for a joint trip to the gun store so he can pick out what he wants. I would dig it if an SO ever does something like that for me.

The only possible downside to that is that stock may be low depending on what part of the country you’re in.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Not a total suprise im going off of things he has showed me or mentioned. Another to add in the mix that was mentioned that I forgot about and totally diff that the others chiappa rhino 60da

Yeah, based on that photo, I see one DA/SA, one striker-fired, and one single action only. That’s a lot of variety.

Some hobbyists really enjoy variety, but most folks here prefer to standardize around one system and become expert at it (while being familiar with others, of course).

I’d really be inclined to let him pick what he wants—honestly, it probably shouldn’t be the FNX or XD, but might be a different Beretta (92X or Elite LTT).

[Removed concerns about gifting guns.]
    Last edited by CalAlumnus; 06-03-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    Also, I’m not sure of the legality of you purchasing a gift. The background check form 4473 asks you to confirm that the purchase is for you and not for someone else. You may find a skittish store clerk won’t sell to you if he finds out its for someone else. My years in CA trained me to be wary of even coming close to the line when it comes to firearms... The standard recommendation was to give cash, rather than perform a background check on yourself when the gun is actually for someone else.
    It states explicitly on the 4473 that gift giving is perfectly legal.

Regardless, OP, don't buy guns as gifts. You can't return them. Get a gift card.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    Late to the party. Beretta. Mag price/availability and factory support would be reasons enough.

As others have said, take him a pic of what is en route if the color is really driving the train.

Edited to add: I feel so strongly re the Beretta being the no brainer choice-if you send me these OEM Grip panels, I will texture them for 8.50 which is the cost of shipping in a flat rate box USPS Priority CONUS.

https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/m9a...a1500/jgm9a3s/
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 06-03-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Let me ask this between the beretta and factoring in the Chippa Rhino 60ds what are the thoughts? And yes i know the rhino is very niche.

Hands-down, Beretta. The other two aren't even in the same ballpark, in my opinion. Or send vcdgrips a FDE set of grip panels; his grip treatment is superb. Win-win.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by aimcat View Post
    Let me ask this between the beretta and factoring in the Chippa Rhino 60ds what are the thoughts? And yes i know the rhino is very niche.
    This forum is for people who are serious about pistolcraft, and is therefore extremely biased in favor of practical options. By practical I mean durable, reliable, good aftermarket support, high performing, and good ergonomics.

The Beretta as a platform is the only one of those four that excels in the above criteria. If your asking which gun your friend should have as a serious use weapon, the answer (from those choices) is the Beretta. Period. Full stop.

Having said that, if your friend is looking for a gun NOT for serious use, but for fun, then the above criteria are much less crucial, because what makes a gun "fun" is entirely subjective. Personally I think the FNX and Rhino are both seriously cool, especially the Rhino. I would enjoy owning either, though I likely wouldnt have any practical purpose for them, and that is why I have not bought either of them.

Since the criteria of what makes a gun "fun" is subjective. A bunch of strangers on the internet cannot give you any useful info your friend couldnt give you himself.

My advice would be to give him a cool picture of an FDE M9A3 and let him wait a week for the one you order to arrive. Then you are giving two gifts: the gun and the anticipation of receiving it.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    It states explicitly on the 4473 that gift giving is perfectly legal.

Regardless, OP, don't buy guns as gifts. You can't return them. Get a gift card.
    Thanks for the correction!

If he wants a FDE gun, the Glock 19X or Sig M17/M18 would be better choices than the XD. These guns competed to be the new service pistol for the US Army (the Sig won).

He has also mentioned a glock 26. So my final choices - glock 26, chiappa rhino 60ds or beretta. Lol

User Tag List