Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911's and Berettas

Site Supporter
    Both guns need to be shot to be fully appreciated. When they are shot, it becomes apparent that both are a joy to shoot and make accurate shooting easy.

I never cared much for either until I tried them.

I bought my 1911 during the Clinton ban, when I was limited to 10 round magazines. 8 rounds of .45 in a thin format made sense. I also noticed that 1911's were second only to Glocks in popularity at IDPA matches, and more popular than everything else combined. It took me only 3-4 draws from a holster to get used to the safety, and ever since no gun has ever made fast, accurate hits so easy.

I tried a couple of Breettas - a 92F and an Elite II - by renting them at a range. Both had the only DA/SA triggers I have ever liked. When I was looking for a pistol for my wife, they were among a very small number of guns that she shot easily and well, although in SA only.

I love 1911’s. Nothing gives me more joy or confidence than running a good one. I’m still searching for the 9mm double stack equivalent of that. An STI wasn’t it. I keep thinking that maybe I missed something and Berettas really are the missing link.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I love 1911’s. Nothing gives me more joy or confidence than running a good one. I’m still searching for the 9mm double stack equivalent of that. An STI wasn’t it. I keep thinking that maybe I missed something and Berettas really are the missing link.
    I won't lie and say the LTT 92 is the 1911 9mm you were looking for, but I do think it's certainly the closest to having a tuned race gun that you can confidently and responsibly carry for your CCW.

For me that is. Maybe someone else carries a Shadow 2 IWB

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Yea, the 9mm, double-stack, 1911 remains elusive. The closest thing out there right now is the Shadow2. But...one day in the not too distant future (we hope) the DWX and DWX Compact will be out. And maybe those will prove to be the guns we’re all looking for.

I like the Beretta 92 and the LTT is a nice gun. But it isn’t a 1911, for sure. It’s something unique on its own. A 1911 is American comfort food, a good burger and fries. The Beretta is good Italian food. It’s amazing and awesome, and you can enjoy it, but it isn’t a burger and fries.

The Sig P320 is just McDonalds...

I actually traded a 1911 today for a 92x compact lol. I never got to a high enough level of confidence operating a 1911 to carry one. So my new epiphany today is I'm clearing out all pistols I'm not going to ever carry. That is the whole point to a pistol for me, ammo cost too much these days to waste on shooting and training with something I won't carry. Both are excellent examples of tried and true designs.

Because both, when correctly set up, will shoot the shit out of it as long as their owners don't stand in the way.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    If you haven't tried one of the Wilson EDC X9's you owe it to yourself to try it, if for no other reason than to say, "that's not it either." I shot one last fall at the 1911addicts shoot and when I put it down, I told the owner, "Thanks! that just cost me a couple grand." Accurate, reliable, carries well. I thoroughly enjoy it.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I dont know but I do

Other than the obvious, the safety, the controls, feel, and point ability are very similar. The slide stop and magazine release feel and act quite similar. Before the wave of GLOCK copies you had Sig, with its awkward high bore axis and stupid slide stop placement. HK had its paddle release, GLOCK it’s different grip angle. As for Smith, let’s say their TDA line didn’t share anywhere near the love they do now they’re no longer made.

The 1911 is my favorite pistol and I've been shooting one for many years. I do not like the Beretta. Too big for a 9mm, trigger reset is too long and I don't care for a DA/SA trigger. The pistol that's taken over EDC duty from my 1911 is the Walther PPQ 9mm. I really like shooting the PPQ.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List