Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911's and Berettas

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    If you haven't tried one of the Wilson EDC X9's you owe it to yourself to try it, if for no other reason than to say, "that's not it either." I shot one last fall at the 1911addicts shoot and when I put it down, I told the owner, "Thanks! that just cost me a couple grand." Accurate, reliable, carries well. I thoroughly enjoy it.
    I came very close to trading into an X9 recently. I like that they use a fairly standard double stack magazine design. The thought of buying two scares me though.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I love both platforms and have several examples of each in my collection. Overall I like the 1911 aesthetic and aftermarket support more....but of course 1911 is a design concept, not a brand like Beretta is. However...as we all know...the past few years have seen Beretta partner with some of the most respected names in the firearms arena and have produced factory pistols that rival semi-customs at prices that can be considered reasonable to aficionados and collectors alike.
    Mute renewed attention to the 92 platform is likely my favorite resurgence as of late. A 92FS was my very first pistol right when I turned 21 (yr 1999) and I have always gravitated to the platform ever since.

Time-tested action, reliable design, military heritage, broad aftermarket support. Beretta 92 and the 1911 platform use the above facets to remain relevant in a very oversaturated pistol market.

To use another analogy, '66 Shelby GT 350 or Porsche '73 911 RS.

And I'm forced to use a German car, as no Italian car has the same dependability.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

And I'm forced to use a German car, as no Italian car has the same dependability.
    I love classic Mustangs.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Both guns need to be shot to be fully appreciated. When they are shot, it becomes apparent that both are a joy to shoot and make accurate shooting easy.
    This.

From a pure shooting standpoint, not considering easy of carrying, reliability, and on and on; there is nothing like them.

9mm and metal framed double stack guns just hit a sweet spot. It's difficult to describe, but it's there. For me that's the 92 and classic SIGs. Others feel the same for CZ and 3rd generation SWs. For 1911 style guns, the sweet spot for me is 38 Super and 9X23. 45 gives my arthritis a pain.

Now what do I carry mostly? Glocks. 1911 grip safeties give me grief when in under pressure situations, and the 92 and 226 are difficult to conceal.

But for plinking in the backyard or on the range, it's one of the guns i listed above, or .22s.
    cc

Site Supporter
    I feel like not enough people give credit to the value of a first shot being double action.

I have been doing pretty decent with a 1911 lately, but the dreaded trigger snatch still visits me from time to time and the DA trigger gives me some kind of buffer zone between "my finger is on the trigger" and "Bang".

Some striker fired guns are like that as well I suppose, but none of them are as cool as my Langdon 92 [emoji41]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I'm an outlier on two counts. As a 30+ year carrier of various 1911s (45 ACP of course) I've never liked or been drawn to the Beretta. I only gave up the 1911 due to pretty severe arthritis in my hands. The frame of the Colt pounds the swollen base knuckle of my strong hand with every shot. My alternative was the various 45 ACP Glocks (G21, G30, G36, and G41). Never liked DA/SA guns of any design.

Now in my dotage, broken and weak as I am, I find myself turning to the revolvers of my youth. The manual of arms is easier for these old joints. Revolvers still do what they've done for over a century and a half, by making bad guys want to be somewhere else. Besides, I can't stay on my feet long enough to empty all the double stack magazines some of you tactical types carry. (LOL)

Dave

The 1911 is my favorite service pistol of all time as I can shoot one faster and more accurate than any other pistol I have tried. I just finished another 1911 Build Class and will likely take it again next year. While I like my Sig 226 and 228 they have the Browning recoil system like the 1911 of moving back slightly and down which I feel increases perceived recoil. The Beretta recoils more straight back and feel softer to me. Maybe a slight difference, but every bit helps.

yall might think this is off

but too many in my area carry the 1911 that do it for looks as they cannot back up their abilities with anything, much less with 1911. I want to stay sharp with it.

I like the platform but my hand does not fit it perfectly but I deal with it. I was told to pick a platform by a co-worker (1911, LTT and G19).... so I did.

I have been driving this guy hard. In fact, ran 400 trouble free rounds teaching an academy class this week. A co-worker was watching me closely looking for a failure. He told me was surprised.

Another reason I am packing .45..... we just transition to 9mm and we have an abundance of .45..... so I cant just let it rot away HA!

oh, I have this one ready to go when we run out of .45 HAHAHAA

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

Embrace the healing power of both.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List