Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 hard to rack

Glock 19 hard to rack

My wife has purse carried a Gen 4 G19 for about 5 years. A year ago she got a job where she can't carry so it stayed locked in the car console. W/ covid she has been working from home so it went back to her purse. Her not frequent enough range sessions she has concentrated on her Elite II because she loves shooting it. But last weekend she decided she should shoot the G19 some. Although it has turned out that neither of us likes it very much, she has always hit just fine w/ it, so I figured why replace it. Saturday I noticed she was having trouble racking it and asked what is going on. Her reply was, she has always had trouble, to which I asked why she never mentioned it in 5 years. So, my question is would a weaker recoil spring be a good idea or any other changes you recommend other than selling it.

I'd have her try something else, IF you've trained her properly in how to use both hands in opposite directions to rack the Glock. My wife is 4'10" and once properly trained, has no issues with racking the slide on her 19.

The S&W Shield EZ is tailor made for folks that have a hard time racking the slide, FYI.
    #RESIST

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    first try different techniques. try pushing frame one direction while pulling slide in opposite direction.

If this isn't feasible then try different platform. I wouldn't mess with recoil spring weight.

I've had luck with 9mm 1911s with about 9-11# recoil spring. My wife struggled with many aspects of pistol shooting. After years we narrowed things down to 1911 platform. Then chose a 9mm chambering. Accuracy went up, ability to manage the weapon administratively went up, confidence went up.

The EZ series from M&P is good too.

Thanks guys. We will work on techniques first and then go from there.

The Cornered Cat has a few articles

https://www.corneredcat.com/article/...ack-the-slide/

Site Supporter
    Not to be overlooked is possibility of oil on slide making it slippery, a fact that could make existing problem worse. Do 4th gen recoil springs lighten up with use? Try this. Lock slide back and leave it in this position for 2 or 3 days. Won't hurt and might help. This trick plus proper technique should resolve issue.

If you’re inclined, I found the extended Tango Down slide backplate to be of use. I am cautious about fiddling with recoil springs; can cause malfunction.

Thanks guys. I am going to let my wife watch the videos and I ordered the slide racker.

User Tag List