Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911's and Berettas

Site Supporter
    I'll be the outlier here. I flipping love the 92. I'm also a millennial. I have come to terms with that reality, but that just means I don't fit the "old guy" crowd. Since my mom taught me "hate" is a really strong word, I'll use "despise" instead. I despise 1911's. They are just not my bag, or ever have been, and won't be. I do own one, though it's a doublestack and borders on too much width. I like it about as much as a Glock, which I also own and don't particularly care for, either.

Why the heck do I like the 92 so much? Because I'm a moron. I don't like being "normal" and that whole running two triggers was a new challenge to master, so I got bit by the bug. Add in all the work LTT has done to make the 92 great for a new generation, and I can do a lot of custom work to a bone stock $500 pistol and have an absolute great shooter. Add in the fact that mags can be had insanely cheap. I never imagined I'd accumulate so much gear for a gun/system, but I am officially invested to the point that to switch would be a freaking expensive venture. I just dumped my 92 compact in favor of all full size grips guns for that very reason, as well. What am I replacing it with? Building myself a frankengun, just because I can (more because I found the frame first before a complete pistol, and I do want a Vertec slide but don't like the Vertec grip).

The list goes on. I've also racked up more rounds through 92 series pistols than I imagined I would or could, again in a fairly short period of time. They're just great pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I'll be the outlier here. I flipping love the 92. I'm also a millennial. I have come to terms with that reality, but that just means I don't fit the "old guy" crowd. Since my mom taught me "hate" is a really strong word, I'll use "despise" instead. I despise 1911's. They are just not my bag, or ever have been, and won't be. I do own one, though it's a doublestack and borders on too much width. I like it about as much as a Glock, which I also own and don't particularly care for, either.

Why the heck do I like the 92 so much? Because I'm a moron. I don't like being "normal" and that whole running two triggers was a new challenge to master, so I got bit by the bug. Add in all the work LTT has done to make the 92 great for a new generation, and I can do a lot of custom work to a bone stock $500 pistol and have an absolute great shooter. Add in the fact that mags can be had insanely cheap. I never imagined I'd accumulate so much gear for a gun/system, but I am officially invested to the point that to switch would be a freaking expensive venture. I just dumped my 92 compact in favor of all full size grips guns for that very reason, as well. What am I replacing it with? Building myself a frankengun, just because I can (more because I found the frame first before a complete pistol, and I do want a Vertec slide but don't like the Vertec grip).

The list goes on. I've also racked up more rounds through 92 series pistols than I imagined I would or could, again in a fairly short period of time. They're just great pistols.
    Nothing wrong with any of this. I personal have an inner conflict being I love 1911s, but don’t currently see a place for them for carry or defense work.

Side note, despise is actually a stronger version of hate.

"Despise" is a stronger word than "hate". ... In other words, when you hate someone, you dislike the individual intensely, but when you "despise" him, you not only dislike him, but you also look down on him. So, when you despise someone, you consider him being beneath you; you may think that the individual is worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Embrace the healing power of both.
    I have.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I’ve been experimenting over the last couple range sessions shooting a 1911 and 43x back to back. It actually works really well. The little 43x feels very easy to control with factory rounds after shooting 45 for awhile. I don’t currently own a 9mm 1911. Shot a Nighthawk back to back with the 43x yesterday and that’s a good combo too. I’m enjoying shooting the 43x more than full-size Glocks right now.

I think I’m going to keep focusing on that. I’ll play games with the 1911, pick up a 9mm 1911 to cut down on wear on my hands and elbows, and carry a 43x full time. Add a couple Shield magazines and see how good I can get with the little Glock.

I was ready to jump on a new Core Smith 2.0 as a 9mm 1911 substitute but I still have doubts about their accuracy. I watching @Duke closely to see how it shakes out long term for him.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I love both 1911's and Beretta's as well, both are fun to shoot, accurate, reliable pistols in my experience. I don't carry my 92 much but sometimes I will around the farm, I do however carry a full size government model often. I find that between that and my glock 48 everyday carry is a breeze and I am confident with both.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Because plastic is for toys...

ACTUALLY - I think the one thing that the Beretta and 1911 share is a similar size and natural 'pointability'. Though the grip on the Beretta is larger, when I pick one up, it isn't any bigger, to me, than a 1911. Physically, 5" barreled pistols give a great balance of shootability, concealability, and about the maximum power effect you can get from a gun.

While more compact guns conceal better, I haven't find a compact size gun that shoots quite as well as a 1911 or Beretta 92. Some are very close, though, close enough it doesn't much matter.
    Ding Ding Ding!!!! Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I have a dumb question that has been stuck in my head for a long time. Maybe this is the wrong forum to ask this question but I thought it would get more response here than in the General forum.

Why does it seem like so many 1911 people also like Berettas? On the surface, they seem about as different as can be. I have a lot of rounds through both and I don't see anything that would make me think that they are compatible. What am I missing?
    I detest the Beretta M9/92. And I am a 1911 man (own several.) Any gun that has the slide break in half in at least 14 cases and any gun that has to have it's locking blocks replaced ever 5k rounds JUST STINKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
    I detest the Beretta M9/92. And I am a 1911 man (own several.) Any gun that has the slide break in half in at least 14 cases and any gun that has to have it's locking blocks replaced ever 5k rounds JUST STINKS.
    Nice try but no.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
    A locking block will typically go a lot further than 5K rounds without issue. The slides don't often break, but I have heard of them developing cracks on rare occasions. But with some good, inexpensive preventive maintenance a 92 series should last a long time without needing a major part replaced.

Taking a critical view of a pistol is all well and good, but your generalization may not paint a totally accurate or complete picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    A locking block will typically go a lot further than 5K rounds without issue. The slides don't often break, but I have heard of them developing cracks on rare occasions. But with some good, inexpensive preventive maintenance a 92 series should last a long time without needing a major part replaced.

Taking a critical view of a pistol is all well and good, but your generalization may not paint a totally accurate or complete picture.
    It’s recommended that the locking blocks be replaced at 10,000 rounds, although they can sometimes go 20,000 rounds or more before finally giving out. Recoil springs generally need to be replaced at 3,000 rounds. Given this is the typical interval 1911s go and they’re so inexpensive, it’s pretty cheap insurance.

Everything breaks, but if you take proper care of it, it’ll last you a lot longer than what Pvt. Schmuckatelli’s M9 lasted in the Army after he didn’t change the springs, change the locking block, gave it crap magazines, and didn’t lube it ever.

User Tag List