Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police Shoot Unarmed Man In the Face Point Blank With Tear Gas Canister.

Police Shoot Unarmed Man In the Face Point Blank With Tear Gas Canister.

Would this turn this less than lethal tool to a potential lethal force tool when used in this manner?

Site Supporter
    On its face, with no further infomation, I would say likely.

A local cop last week had to get his thumb sugically reattatched when, at the range, he got it a little too close to the loud end. Rumour has it it was a 40mm less lethal round. About 15 years ago, depending on manufacturer, 12ga beanbags were considered potentially lethal when shot above the waist.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    On its face, with no further infomation, I would say likely.

A local cop last week had to get his thumb sugically reattatched when, at the range, he got it a little too close to the loud end. Rumour has it it was a 40mm less lethal round. About 15 years ago, depending on manufacturer, 12ga beanbags were considered potentially lethal when shot above the waist.

pat
    Well played.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Gas canisters are not supposed to be shot directly at anyone.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Gas canisters are not supposed to be shot directly at anyone.
    This. They aren't impact weapons. I don't think anybody even uses skip rounds any longer (projectiles that were supposed to be aimed in front of the target and 'skipped' into their legs like you'd skip a rock on a pond) due to the potential for injury.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    This. They aren't impact weapons. I don't think anybody even uses skip rounds any longer (projectiles that were supposed to be aimed in front of the target and 'skipped' into their legs like you'd skip a rock on a pond) due to the potential for injury.
    I've seen videos and heard "skip fire only" commands issued on some of the radio transmissions featured in streams over the last week.

The only crowd control device I'm trained on is a 12ga shotgun-launched 80mm CS-powder grenade. If you dome somebody with it, they're toast. No training on common 40mm guns, but I'm going to guess he was hit in the upper torso and not the head. I'm going to danger that a 40mm gas grenade to the face from 10 feet away is something you aren't walking away from.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I've seen videos and heard "skip fire only" commands issued on some of the radio transmissions featured in streams over the last week.
    I'm not a grenadier but I had to have the familiarization training so that I could understand their utilization. Many munitions can be direct fired or skip fired. Skip fired is for shorter range so that the tear gas canister loses velocity before getting to the crowd. Direct fire still isn't supposed to target an individual but is for longer range.

The skip rounds I was thinking were the ones with wooden or hard rubber pucks (baton rounds). Maybe they are still in use somewhere, but I don't think anyone local to hear still uses that type due to the unpredictable nature of skipping.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Not defending but does anyone know if it was 37mm or the new 40mm several agencies have adopted?

I have used 37mm both L1 and L8 less lethal launchers the last 20 years with DOJ/FBOP. Most 37mm have smooth bores unless you have the extension on it. (The extension is an add on that has rifling to stabilize bean bag type rounds)

I have found at times, gas rounda don't go exactly where they are suppose to And thats without a long lobing shot where wind has to be read.

The L8 seems to work better and the new 40mm we just went to are better than both.

In the 203 instruction book, the block that talks about ammo types says that non-lethal rounds like gas are lethal when fired directly at a person.

User Tag List