Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
@Coyotesfan97

Why 37mm for gas and 40mm for other less lethal? What's the reasoning on the two different weapons systems, instead of just using 40mm for everything?
Most 37 mm gas rounds used to be powered by black powder and the launchers were generally not rifled. The launchers used to be made out of beautiful modified N-frames. Most agencies used them becuase that's what they had in inventory from the 50s-70s. 40mm has always been smokeless powder and rifled. The eXact Impact and other sponge rounds are very accurate and have less of a chance of hitting an unintended target. With multiple different brands of launchers, I can hit either the left or right thigh on command at up to 40 yards with the foam baton rounds; it's that accurate. The best launchers, IMO, are the new, yellow barrel LMTs sold by Safariland. They use N-frame lockwork and the good trigger allows you to be even more accurate.

Someone mentioned rifled SAGE 37 mm launchers and projectiles, I have no experience with those. I do have experience with the ARWEN, Anti-Riot Weapon ENfield. This is a five-round multi-launcher that uses hard nylon/rubber projectiles developed to shoot people who look like me in Northern Ireland. My previous department used them and they use a rebated aluminum case that has a 44 mag primer case that ignites a black powder or pyrodex main charge. The system can be maintenance intensive, but is capable of good accuracy and has better effects on target than any 40mm sponge or 12 gauge drag-stabilized beanbag round. It is now manufactured in Canada. Cost and maintenance are two downsides to the system. Also, goofy English design worthy of any Webley-Fosberry or Lucas Electrics ensures a horrible trigger pull that requires much training to master.

I hope this explains some of the different riot weapons police use and the reasons behind their use.