Thread: James Lileks is posting about Minneapolis on his long-standing blog

James Lileks is posting about Minneapolis on his long-standing blog

One of the current Star Tribune columnists; maybe the best writer in the whole organization, and a very insightful man.

http://lileks.com/bleats/archive/20/0620/060120.html

It's worth digging into the archives here for the past week.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I actually interacted with a Suburban Anarchist Commando on FB, who thinks that cops are pigs, and big capitalism is like some BS, man, even though they work for Chipolte, but that's like totally not hypocritical, and they need to Burn It All Down because of Oppression and Stuff, but they don't know how their local government works, and so on.

I suspect they would feel a lot different if it was their own stuff getting looted and burned. But, there's a lot of people who can't empathy.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Lilek's blog column today is well worth your time, too.

http://lileks.com/bleats/archive/20/0620/060320.html

A key part:

"You know why they call it the Dollar Store? Because that’s what stuff costs, and the people who go there know it, and when they have X numbers of dollars for the week, that matters. Oh by all means everyone joke about how they chose the wrong place to loot, what do they want, lousy party goods?

A person can get a bottle of shampoo or soap for a dollar. A person can get a six-pack of sausages for a dollar. A person can get a kitchen tool for a dollar. A person can get a toy for their child for a dollar. A person can get a book for a dollar.

You stand there dressed in bespoke black gear to demonstrate your auth-en-tic-ity and you loot a Dollar Store and upbraid someone who lives in the neighborhood for “stanning” a chain store because you hate CAPITALISM, MAN, when it was that very system that brought food and goods to the neighborhood.

oH bUt iT drOve oUt a lOcAl BuSineSs

Even if that was the case, let's just say you're not the best person to make that case, having participating in the elimination of all the other local businesses."
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

On fire today:

http://lileks.com/bleats/archive/20/0620/060420.html

As he says, "warning, profanity."

I got to admit, Upper Class Radical Twits who cheer on the destruction of property (as long as it isn't theirs) really is damn irritating.

I can pretty much guarantee that Sweety Darling teh Oh So Intellectual Poet would have big freakout if it was her house, or her possessions getting looted and burned.
    Nor, despite her "f*** property" tweet, is she about to sell all she has and give it to the poor. If the angry mob was beating her up, she would happily call the police.

We get that you have loads of Liberal Guilt, and that this makes you feel like that you are one of the Radical Elite and can pretend that you are not one of the Privileged Classes. But why not set an example by burning your own stuff instead of encouraging others to do it to yet others?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Nothing has changed.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Nothing has changed.
    That’s racist!

(I kid, I kid)

User Tag List