Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Elite LTT Compact vs. Sig p229 Legion?

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    ...I live in the humid southeast and have lots of experience going back to the 1990s with NP3.
    Are there any lube/cleaning restrictions for NP3 coated parts. For instance, I seem to recall seeing something recently that Ballistol could damage NP3? I don't use Ballistol on my guns much any more, but I still have it around.

Site Supporter
    I'll join the crowd and say to consider the PX4 CC as well. The 92 Compacts are not really compact, they're just smaller than full-size. Somewhat smaller. A little smaller. Slightly smaller.

Anecdotally, the 92 Compact with the curved mag floorplate is the only pistol that I never had to practice with to get the sights to come to eye already in alignment....they just always do. I have no explanation for this, but it's incredibly reassuring. It's also the pistol whose magwell and magazine floorplates have done the most damage to the bottom of my strong hand's palm LOL. It hurts just thinking about it. My poor hand.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    I'll join the crowd and say to consider the PX4 CC as well. The 92 Compacts are not really compact, they're just smaller than full-size. Somewhat smaller. A little smaller. Slightly smaller.
    I hear this a lot, and have to disagree. There is a reasonable difference in grip size.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Are there any lube/cleaning restrictions for NP3 coated parts. For instance, I seem to recall seeing something recently that Ballistol could damage NP3? I don't use Ballistol on my guns much any more, but I still have it around.
    I am not aware of any cleaning chemicals that are not compatible with NP3; in fact, one of the pluses is the chemical resistance of the plated finish. NP3 has PTFE (Teflon) in the finish and has a high lubricity; it can be run with no lube if needed.

At one point in the 1990's I had most of the catalogued SIG pistols; I continue to like and respect them, but today there's an elegance and quality with the Beretta 92 series that I think provides an exceptioal value-and that's before you consider the magnificent options provided by Ernest Langdon and Wilson Combat to the series.

As others here have recommended, try both (and/or the PX4, etc.) and see which resonates best with you, but in this case I personally recommend Beretta.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I hear this a lot, and have to disagree. There is a reasonable difference in grip size.
    Absolutely, I'm OK with disagreeing, no hard feelings. I just put a caliper on a Compact and a full-size, measuring from the bottom of the magwell to the underside of the slide. 4.064" on the full-size and 3.652" on the Compact, for a 0.412" difference, or between 3/8" and 7/16". I get a sliver of my pinkie on a Compact grip without a mag inserted, and almost a full pinkie on a full-size. With a Compact with the curved mag floorplate, I still get a complete grip.

Nothing wrong with a 92 Compact, like I said, I own one, but don't be expecting a 'compact' pistol when you open the box, or you'll be disappointed. It's not a tiny 92, at least not to me. I used to have more of them, but I don't see where they really do enough things different than a full-size 92 to keep a bunch around.

However.

If I set a PX4 Compact (non CC, my PX4's are all pre-CC availability) upside down on the table by a 92 Compact, the mag end of the grips are the same height off of the table, but the trigger guard on the PX4 is further up the grip by a tenth of an inch or so, giving you a little more grip area for the rest of your hand. If I forget which gun I'm holding, I do still slam my hand on a quick PX4C mag change.

The big size difference in a PX4C and the 92 Compact is OAL, which honestly isn't as big of a deal for most carry unless we're talking AIWB with a shorter holster to match. By my caliper the PX4C is like 0.900" shorter than a 92 Compact, almost a full inch. Sight radius is 0.68" shorter than a 92 Compact. The PX4 grip is noticeably smaller in circumference. And then there's the weight. I don't have an accurate scale, but yeah it's lighter.

To me, there's a truly noticeable size and weight difference when you go from a full-size 92 to a PX4 Compact, which is why it's been mentioned. In the end it's up to you...hope you can find one of each model to hold and try for yourself.

Absolutely, I'm OK with disagreeing, no hard feelings. I just put a caliper on a Compact and a full-size, measuring from the bottom of the magwell to the underside of the slide. 4.064" on the full-size and 3.652" on the Compact, for a 0.412" difference, or between 3/8" and 7/16". I get a sliver of my pinkie on a Compact grip without a mag inserted, and almost a full pinkie on a full-size. With a Compact with the curved mag floorplate, I still get a complete grip.

Nothing wrong with a 92 Compact, like I said, I own one, but don't be expecting a 'compact' pistol when you open the box, or you'll be disappointed. It's not a tiny 92, at least not to me. I used to have more of them, but I don't see where they really do enough things different than a full-size 92 to keep a bunch around.

However.

If I set a PX4 Compact (non CC, my PX4's are all pre-CC availability) upside down on the table by a 92 Compact, the mag end of the grips are the same height off of the table, but the trigger guard on the PX4 is further up the grip by a tenth of an inch or so, giving you a little more grip area for the rest of your hand. If I forget which gun I'm holding, I do still slam my hand on a quick PX4C mag change.

The big size difference in a PX4C and the 92 Compact is OAL, which honestly isn't as big of a deal for most carry unless we're talking AIWB with a shorter holster to match. By my caliper the PX4C is like 0.900" shorter than a 92 Compact, almost a full inch. Sight radius is 0.68" shorter than a 92 Compact. The PX4 grip is noticeably smaller in circumference. And then there's the weight. I don't have an accurate scale, but yeah it's lighter.

To me, there's a truly noticeable size and weight difference when you go from a full-size 92 to a PX4 Compact, which is why it's been mentioned. In the end it's up to you...hope you can find one of each model to hold and try for yourself.
    Looking at them side by side, may demonstrate the difference better. I know that I can make a compact disappear, where a 92 prints a little beyond my comfort level on my body shape.

Some consider the 19 as the target point of definition of "Compact" for semi auto pistol, I think the 92 Compact fits in OK, with just .25" more slide length, and slightly shorter grip. However, if you don't agree about the 19, then that's another thing. That part, what is a compact, is highly subjective. But the grip measurement amount is significant to me. YMMV.

Looking at them side by side, may demonstrate the difference better. I know that I can make a compact disappear, where a 92 prints a little beyond my comfort level on my body shape.

Some consider the 19 as the target point of definition of "Compact" for semi auto pistol, I think the 92 Compact fits in OK, with just .25" more slide length, and slightly shorter grip. However, if you don't agree about the 19, then that's another thing. That part, what is a compact, is highly subjective. But the grip measurement amount is significant to me. YMMV.
    The picture is very helpful - thanks! “Compact” seems to mean different things to different manufacturers, but side-by-side comparisons help. The way I typically carry, I can conceal my Glock 19 or Sig p229 pretty easily. So it looks like the 92c wouldn’t be a problem if I were to decide to go that route. And the PX-4cc would certainly work as well.

Site Supporter
    Side note - Is that one of the old 92FS OD's? Kinda hard to tell in the pic. If so, cool man. I've got one, too.

Side note - Is that one of the old 92FS OD's? Kinda hard to tell in the pic. If so, cool man. I've got one, too.
    Yes sir.

User Tag List