Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Elite LTT Compact vs. Sig p229 Legion?

Beretta 92 Elite LTT Compact vs. Sig p229 Legion?

Though I’m a long-time lurker, this is actually my first post - at least that I can remember. I’ve hesitated to post much previously, because it’s obvious to me that the level of knowledge of folks here is way above my pay grade. I just haven’t felt that I had anything of substance to add, and it can be a bit intimidating. But I do have a question I’d like to ask in order to tap into some of the knowledge that’s here.

A brief background. I’m 51 years old but only got into handguns about 5 years ago. In that time I’ve run the gamut looking for the “perfect carry gun” for me. I’ve been through striker-fired guns, 1911s, and DA/SA guns. I see advantages/disadvantages to each platform and like them all. From reading and listening to Ernest Langdon’s material, though, I’m beginning to lean more firmly toward DA/SA. He makes a pretty good case.

A while back I got a Sig Legion p229 9mm and have been carrying it quite a bit. Though not perfect for me (I can’t easily manipulate the mag or slide release), it’s a fantastic gun that has a lot going for it. I’ve recently considered getting a Beretta 92 Elite Compact directly from Langdon Tactical (trigger job, spartan sights, maybe np3 - not sure). I’ve gone back and forth about it, and I’m still not sure. It looks like a fantastic handgun.

My question is, for those with experience with both, how would the LTT compact compare to the Legion? Are there advantages or disadvantages to the Beretta decocker, etc? Is there anything specific I need to be thinking about?

I’m really close to ordering one, but before I spend that kind of money, I thought it might be good to pick the collective brain of Pistol Forum. I really have learned a lot from hanging out here, and I’m sure that will continue. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    I'll be the enabler here...

The trigger on the Langdon Beretta I own is far and above the best DA/SA trigger I've ever used.

Never shot a legion Sig personally so I don't know how the controls compare, but I never had difficulty with my Berettas...full size or compact.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

On PF the 92, and especially the LTT, is very popular because of Ernest and all his hard work. The Sig is incredibly unpopular because of Sig’s leader.

That aside, despite being similar in size and in their trigger systems, they have very different ergonomics, and I would encourage you to see which works best for you.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I own a LTT Elite 92G and a Brigadier Tactical 92G that was tuned by Ernest. I've done some of my best shooting with these pistols - I'm definitely a Pizzagun fan.

That said, were I to commit to DA/SA pistols again, I'd give Langdon Tactical's PX4 series a serious look. The compact 92s aren't terribly compact and I find them the least compelling models in the 92 lineup, whereas the PX4 CC is a lot of pistol in a small package. Also, I've found the highly tuned 92s with light hammer springs to have great triggers but they can also be picky about what ammunition they'll reliably ignite. The PX4s don't seem to suffer from this problem.

No wrong answer here - any LTT Beretta is a solid choice.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Is there anything you don’t like about the Sig? Do you think you would benefit from taking a class before switching guns? Do you mind buying another set of holsters, mag pouches, and magazines.

The 229 and 92 compact can both be really great pistols. I personally feel like the Beretta shoots a little softer and carries a little easier. I haven’t not owned an LTT compact but all the LTTs I’ve shot have felt a little more refined than any of the Legions I’ve shot.

I’ve put a lot of rounds through Sigs and Berettas. I’ve taken classes with both platforms and really enjoyed shooting both. They accomplish the same thing in slightly different ways. Really it’ll come down to personal preference. If you like to train and don’t mind putting the time and effort into learning to shoot a Beretta well I think you will really like it. They’re pretty bulletproof and on the outside chance that you have an issue you’ll get great customer service.

Good luck and keep asking questions.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

It's gonna be a lot more difficult to mount an RDS on a 92 than a P229, would be my first concern, short of using a dovetail mount.

The LTT guns have some differences. That said, I would rent a regular one (expect those would be easier to find then an LTT at the rental place), and just check general ergonomics for you. The trigger won't compare, the LTT will be less "sharp", but it should give you a good comparison.

While you might choose a metal gun, I would also recommend trying the PX4. The lighter weight, and already rounded design, along with how well it shoots, might be something to consider as well.
    While those with experience can pass on what they know (I was supposed to borrow a friends 229 before this all hit), you still will benefit from hands on greatly.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    You didn’t mention being left handed, but one of several reasons i really like the 92 series is the ambi decocker, which is nice as well when i am shooting weak hand only. That’s why i never looked seriously at the Sig DA / SA guns. Then too, Langdon’s triggers are excellent and you have a first class place to obtain the weapon and have it serviced, so. That’s my experience, and i have owned 92s for many many years and i shoot them a lot - but GJM, who like many here has forgotten more than i will ever know, has it right, handle them both and see.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I have an M11-A1, which is basically a rail-less P229. It was assembled with a nickel-plated sear from the factory, and has broken in (with a little deburring and smoothing out of the box to help it along) to have the best DA press of any DA/SA pistol I own. And not by a little. I thought my P226 was good, but after focusing on the M11-A1, the P226 feels like there's something wrong with it. I particularly like the M11 with some Sig-branded Hogue G10 grips; the Legion should have the same basic geometry, just a different texture pattern, so you're good there.

Just for fun, try a few boxes of Winchester White Box 115gr ammo and see if your P229 extracts it reliably. My M11 has issues with the defective extractor groove geometry on a lot of WWB cases.

I haven't messed with any LTT guns. I have had a couple factory DAO pizza guns. Nice, but not on the level of the Sig for smoothness. I have a Wilson trigger bar kit (springs are included) to try in the 92D Centurion I acquired recently, but it's been sitting in the safe while I do other stuff.

I've gone back to back in the LGS with the 92 Compact and a USP Compact. The 92 FS feels great to me, but the Compact just feels weird and awkward in my hand. I think the reason is the kick-out on the front strap. The USPc feels very good, just right in my hands. It's what I'm focusing on right now. It's so far more reliable than the M11, as it has had zero failures. Round count isn't high enough for that to be a brag yet. It's also considerably thinner than the M11 at the top of the grip, which helps with concealment. The P229 grip is actually ~0.1 inch thicker across the part of the grip that covers the decocker pivot than the P226. And with X-Grip adaptors, USPc mag options range from 10 to 20 rounds.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Hammertime
    With a short travel trigger I think I prefer the Legion trigger.

I prefer the Legion grip, but dislike the really tall slide.

I prefer the 92 decockers and slide release.

The 92 carries smaller.

There isn’t a bad answer. I would encourage you to check out the full grip 92s rather
    than the compact as they conceal amazingly well, on a par with a 229 easily.

Ultimately, I own four 92 variants and zero Sigs. But that is total personal preference.

You should rent both before deciding. If you love the 226, the common holsters etc should sway you to the 229.

User Tag List