Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 92X - chrome lined barrel?

92X - chrome lined barrel?

My 92A1 has a chrome lined barrel. You can see it in muzzle. It seems to make cleaning easier. I looked at a 92X (not Performance) and the muzzle looks black. Is it a chrome lined barrel? Thanks

Vending Machine Operator
    I would be very, very surprised if it's not chrome lined and cold hammer forged. As far as I know all 92, PX4, and APX barrels are. Barrels are one of Beretta's strongest areas. It's the oldest part of their business. Perhaps there's a coating or something?
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

It is (or at the very least, mine is). I think the only ones that aren't are the stainless and black nitrided stainless (Wilson Combat) models.

SUB-standard :)

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I would be very, very surprised if it's not chrome lined and cold hammer forged. As far as I know all 92, PX4, and APX barrels are. Barrels are one of Beretta's strongest areas. It's the oldest part of their business. Perhaps there's a coating or something?
    The PX4 SubCompact has a stainless steel barrel that is not chromium lined. Otherwise yes, the PX4s are cold hammer-forged, chromium lined.

So has anyone seen a 92X with visible chrome lining from bore end like my 92A1? Or is Beretta now putting some black coating over chrome lining? Can’t imagine why you would do that? My 92A1 is Italian made but don’t think barrel making process would be different? I just know the 92X I had in hand in LGS did not look like my 92A1 from bore end. The Beretta website does not comment on barrel lining. The 92X was countersunk crowned however and the 92A1 is not.

LGS

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    So has anyone seen a 92X with visible chrome lining from bore end like my 92A1? Or is Beretta now putting some black coating over chrome lining? Can’t imagine why you would do that? My 92A1 is Italian made but don’t think barrel making process would be different? I just know the 92X I had in hand in LGS did not look like my 92A1 from bore end. The Beretta website does not comment on barrel lining. The 92X was countersunk crowned however and the 92A1 is not.
    Is it possible that the specimen you saw at the gun shop was dirty and that was giving that illusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    My 92A1 has a chrome lined barrel. You can see it in muzzle. It seems to make cleaning easier. I looked at a 92X (not Performance) and the muzzle looks black. Is it a chrome lined barrel? Thanks
    The 92X has a carbon steel barrel and is chrome-lined, but it is not cold hammer forged. It does have a different crown (target crown) than normal 92 and 92A1s would have.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Is it possible that the specimen you saw at the gun shop was dirty and that was giving that illusion?
    Remember that there is no such thing as a brand new "un-fired" Beretta. They all get put in a cycle machine and run for 200 cycles, a proof round fired before inspection as well as a full mag of standard pressure ammo.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

92X - chrome lined barrel?

My 92X has a chrome barrel. I can’t (won’t) clean it to the point the barrel is super shiny from the muzzle end.

The statement below is pure speculation:

I would suspect that if Beretta did the chrome then performed the recessed crowning that you would not see any flashing on the muzzle end. I have zero information that this is how it is done, but may make sense that way the same barrel blank could be used for the 92X and 92A1 style barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    Remember that there is no such thing as a brand new "un-fired" Beretta. They all get put in a cycle machine and run for 200 cycles, a proof round fired before inspection as well as a full mag of standard pressure ammo.
    Some people just can't fathom this, I try to explain all the time the "gun shop didn't screw them" with a new gun they fired because there are a few copper streaks in the bore (very apparent with a shiny chrome lined barrel).

Kind of surprised to see the 92X isn't CHF, I thought that was standard for Beretta now. But I guess it does matter where the barrel is actually made---here, or in Italy. Can you confirm whether or not all the Italian-made 92 series barrels are CHF?

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post

Very true. For as long as I've been messing with 92s the barrels are always chrome lined unless it is a model that comes with a stainless barrel. Not that common among pistols.

User Tag List