Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Raven P-25

I would like to see some 35 Gr truncated cone or fmj for better penetration. Amazing Hornady and speer have the little self defense bullets, but they dont penetrate.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scbair View Post
    There was once (1980s, I think) a magazine by the title Handgun Tests
    I think they're still around. Gun Tests? I remember one of their tests; it was a wondernine, 18 shot, and it was so bad they recommended throwing it at an opponent.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    If I had to use a .25 for self defense, Winchester makes - or perhaps used to make - ammo that is essentially a JHP but has a small round ball in the hollow point. If I understand correctly, the purpose was to provide some (but not all) of the expansion of a JHP while ensuring reliable functioning in a small semiauto. That would be my vote for the least bad option.

I briefly owned an Intratec .25 acp. When I tried it at an informal shooting range, I was using a homemade wooden target frame. Two bullets hit the frame, penetrated about 3/16 inch, and then dropped to the ground essentially undamaged. A .22 lr. from my 1 1/8 inch (roughly equivalent length rifled portions of the barrel) NAA mini revolver will completely bury a bullet in the same wood. Penetration is a definite weak point of the .25.

Quote Originally Posted by scbair View Post
    There was once (1980s, I think) a magazine by the title Handgun Tests. I believe Phil Engeldrum was the main force behind it. I still have an edition in which the cover proclaimed "Why a $49 Raven is better than a S&W Model 59."

Name:  Handgun Tests 1979 Phil Engeldrum.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  AAAGunMag_2.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  57.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Winchester makes - or perhaps used to make - ammo that is essentially a JHP but has a small round ball in the hollow point.
    Discontinued

https://web.archive.org/web/20140126...5-45xp-b20.htm

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Handguns...Selection.html

Site Supporter
    I like to play around with autos like those mentioned here. But note that I said play around with. Regardless of brand, I think these little pistols constitute poor choices if defense is a need. One day I hope to order a custom .25 mold throwing a pointed cast bullet. I will try to achieve extensive penetration in a round that has terrible performance. Then I will sell the mold to another sucker so he can play around.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post

Name:  Handgun Tests 1979 Phil Engeldrum.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  AAAGunMag_2.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  57.5 KB
    That's it! Glad I'm not the only one who saves (and savors) old publications!

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    I would like to see some 35 Gr truncated cone or fmj for better penetration. Amazing Hornady and speer have the little self defense bullets, but they dont penetrate.
    I have a small box (I forget whether it was 5, 6 or 10 rounds) somewhere of a load called the "MSC" (Maximum Sub-Caliber) for the .25 ACP. It utilized a solid copper projectile with a hollow point. It was not designed to expand, but to enhance th penetration of the .25 via (relatively) higher velocity. I read somewhere it was discontinued because it was ruled an "armor piercing" round ... Can't say if that was true.

I had some of those old MSC rounds, they and the terminal effects forum are why I don’t use boutique ammo. I had tried it in my little 950 BS, the jacket steyed adhered to the chamber wall and the bottom of the cartridge shot through, leaving a useless gun. Took me a while to figure out what had happened. I took a small screw and extracted the brass.

Many years ago, a guy that I worked with had a Bryco Jennings in 380. One day he joined me at the shooting range. About 3 mags into his shooting session, the trigger pin sheared off. He took it home, went out to the garage and found a finishing nail that fit tight, pounded it in and cut it flush with a hacksaw. The next week he sold it in the local classifieds for $100.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List