Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raven P-25

Raven P-25

My dad had one of these when I was younger... which he would tell me how he would stuff it in his sock when we went into the city. Was a nickel one, that he sold to my brother-in-law... who might still have it (I specifically don’t talk guns with him, since I get tired when he argues the Judge is the perfect revolver for self-defense).

So, I recently picked up an Iver Johnson Cadet 55-S to complete my small collection of the firearms related to the two Kennedy assassinations (Carcano, S&W Victory, and Colt Cobra already acquired). The dealer I got it from has a black Raven P-25... which is an early example that is considered C&R. Ok price, and then gun is in decent condition (a little wear, but so what on a 50+ year old gun?).

Am I suffering from the ‘Rona... as I kind of want to pick it up? I wouldn’t buy one and have to go through a FFL-01 for, since the transfer fee would make it too much for my tastes. Right to my door... I can accept it.

I already have a Colt Vest Pocket, which is the extent of my .25 collection. Do have larger pocket guns; Walther PP, Ruger LCP, SIG P938, and NAA Sidewinder. Not likely going to be any more than a plinker. How do these sub-$100 pistols hold up over time? Or should I just say no?

They can be fun and sometimes surprisingly accurate. In .22 and .25, the Ring of Fire guns tend to last a while. In 380 ACP, even the Bryco collectors' forum discourages people buying them. That caliber self-destructs guns in short order. Jusy depends if some cheap range fun and sentimentality is worth the money to you.

As an example, if I ever tripped over a wood gripped Jennings J-22 for less than a hundo, I'd throw out my shoulder going for the wallet. Actually bought my Ruger LCP II Lite Rack in .22 largely because I'd once enjoyed a Jennings. So there is a bias here.

Does Headhunter still post here? He'd be a good guy to respond with his old history with such guns and running them somewhat hard and completely unironically.

Site Supporter
    @HeadHunter would certainly be the person to ask. He has worked with students such as single moms who do not have two nickels to rub together after paying the mandatory monthly bills, and therefore need the cheapest options possible. So, he has tested many of these inexpensive pistols.

Cool thread, When I was maybe 9 or 10, remember going to midcity mall in louisville with my Grandad, sat with him on the bench and all the old guys smokin pipes. They would show me their pocket guns from time to time. They all were wiser, older, seasoned, they kept them folded in expedient hankercheif holsters, loaded, safety on. No permits, just no bragging or brandishing, just time for business. My grandad had two little cool RGs that ran great.

I only have experience with one Raven. I have worked extensively with Jennings/Bryco/Jimenez guns. The JBJ guns are more accurate than most people can shoot them, probably because they have a fixed barrel. They also can be a lot more reliable than they are given credit for. The technique I used to achieve reliability was the Armand Swenson gunsmithing method. I swapped the springs around between 5 or 6 different guns until it would shoot 3 magazines of five rounds reliably. At that point, the gun will become pretty much trouble free. That's not a solution for the typical user but it was very successful for me.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

There's a Bryco collectors forum?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    There's a Bryco collectors forum?
    Guess not. Fished for a link and it appears to have gone down a couple years back. Might have to pour out a forty in memoriam.

Raven P25's weakest link is the firing pin. They love to break under dry fire. Good news/bad news: tool steel replacements are available, but they cost more than the gun is worth (IMO, of course). I admit to having 2 working Jennings J22s but, A- they were both free, and B- resisting an occupation, you know?

Site Supporter
    When my sisters were in college they lived in a not so nice area of Chicago. A Raven 25 caliber rested silently in a cigar box next to the mirror where they did their makeup. It also had an IWB holster and I would be surprised if it didn't end up in a purse once in a while when they took the CTA.

Some strange critters on the CTA. Especially the Red Line.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

There was once (1980s, I think) a magazine by the title Handgun Tests. I believe Phil Engeldrum was the main force behind it. I still have an edition in which the cover proclaimed "Why a $49 Raven is better than a S&W Model 59." Bottom line: the Raven ran through every loaded mag without a hitch, while the first gen S&W auto hiccuped regularly.

In fairness to S&W, the second gen autos were an improvement a the third gen service autos like 4006 (pre-dating the polymer M&P line) got it right!

User Tag List