Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Season 2020

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I sure hate to wish shit on others but I hope it continues to move east. I have to fly out of Gulfport on Thursday.
    You should probably be fine. All the rain is east of the eye. Chances are good it won't even be raining in Gulfport on Wednesday.

Site Supporter
    Best of luck to all y’all about to get deluged on!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Best of luck to all y’all about to get deluged on!
    I don’t know why anybody on the gulf coast would even have a luge. It’s never cold enough to actually use one so I doubt they’ll miss them anyways.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Checking in from north Baldwin County - sitting on my porch enjoying the breeze. Ongoing rain shower with the occasional wind gust. Kids playing in the yard next door (little redneck rug rats). Tomorrow... is gonna be wet. And windy.

I am expecting a few downed trees tomorrow along with some loss of electrical power. Got the genny topped up ready to keep the cold food cold.
    Southwest Escambia County, Florida - it's been steadily raining since last night and all day today - pretty heavy rain and wind since around 1700 Central.

The power has flickered off and on periodically, but we still have power. It looks like the eye should make landfall around 0600 Central, Wednesday morning.

I'm glad it's just a Category 1 hurricane, but it's moving very slow and it's going to dump a lot of water on us.

Thoughts with you guys.

We're just supposed to get several inches of rain on Thursday around these parts.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I’ve been speaking with my buddy that got hit by Hurricane Sally. He says that no one was ready for Sally to come ashore as a Cat 2 and just hover over the Panhandle.

He lost part of his roof and some siding, plus his vehicles got dinged up cosmetically.

His consumer grade and brand new Stihl Ms250 won’t start and he needed it badly. He is on day three of no power, no internet, and no cellular internet. That being said, he’s my friend and had the right mindset in place way ahead of time, so he’s not hurting on supplies and has a generator, NODs, etc. There’s no fuel around for miles and miles. Two nights ago, he saw out of state vehicles casing his neighborhood, looking for abandoned houses. He says one of the biggest lessons learned from this is the window mount AC I talked him into; he runs it at night and it makes a huge difference within in his house. He’s running the AC, freezer, fridge, toaster over, and a few other things off of my favorite Harbor Freight inverter genny. He can make and receive cell phone calls, but no texting nor cellular data at all.
    #RESIST

Any PF'ers get hit by Sally?
    #RESIST

Heh, yeah... My post above, well, let’s just say I (and a whole bunch of others) waaaay undershot the intensity of this storm. First it was the radical change in path; and then the fact that it sort of stalled out and picked up strength - all combined with the slow speed. Yeah, it is a mess on the Alabama coast. I am 90 miles inland as the seagull flies and we lost power right at midnight before landfall. The damage increases dramatically the closer you get to the beach. I am typing this from my porch listening to various generators run. Best guess is we will have electrical service restored early next week. I came out pretty good. I have a pecan tree within striking distance of the master bedroom room now leaning in that direction. It will need to come down soon. That said, I was actually able to mow grass earlier in hopes that the ground will dry a little quicker. All in all, it could have been a lot worse considering how little attention we all paid to this storm.

With respect to your comment about your friend’s security situation... I am sort of in the country a little ways outside of a small town. I have neither observed, nor heard any reports of any ne’er do wells out and about post-storm. I would say that the trolls tend to gravitate to more urban environs. That said, I am sleeping on the porch in a hammock with a 16” .300BO rifle within arm’s reach. Folks have been known to steal generators while they are running in the middle of the night.

Regarding your comment on your favorite genny, I am pretty happy with how mine is working out. It is an industrial grade Ingersoll-Rand 5500 with a 9HP Honda GX270 engine. I bought it on clearance after Katrina which has been what, 15 years ago? This is the first hurricane duty it has had to pull since I bought it; and certainly the most prolonged usage it has seen. We are running it about two hours at a go to keep two freezers and the fridge cold. It has not been bad at all on gas. I would like a smaller genny to dedicate to a window unit, but we will be okay for now.
    Last edited by Tensaw; 09-18-2020 at 05:22 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Depression 22 has now been named.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...?cone#contents

The forecasted track looks a lot like Harvey. I bought a bunch of water on the way home tonight.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Whoo, hoo, our power came back on about an hour ago.

The eye of Sally went right over us in the 0330-0430 time frame Wednesday morning, 16 Sep - the 16th Anniversary of Hurricane Ivan for us. Lots of trees down, all over the area. We fared pretty well, some leaking around the chimney, and a section of the fence came down, and a young Live Oak (22" circumference trunk and about 20-25 feet tall) was uprooted, but other than the loss of power we are fine.

The thing I found fascinating about Sally was by 0930, five hours after it went over my house, it was just getting to I-10. I could have hopped in my car and driven 30 minutes and been back in the eye of the hurricane. That's how slow this hurricane was moving.

LL is correct, most of us weren't prepared for a CAT 2 hurricane to come our way. The early predictions were showing this storm going to the Louisiana/Mississippi border, and it was a tropical storm, then CAT 1, and when it finally made up its' mind where it was going, became a CAT 2.

I looked at my notes from Hurricane Ivan, and we spent quite a bit of time in Lillian, Elberta, and Foley, Alabama post hurricane getting food and finding civilization. Our area of Pensacola was hit hard by Ivan, but the folks in Alabama didn't get hit as hard. Today we went through those three towns looking for a place to eat, and they were in the same condition as we are. Lots of trees down and many places without power.

I have been very impressed by the work crews. We drove around to assess the damage on Thursday, and you could see crews had already cleared a bunch of large trees from the roadways. I've seen crews from all over here in town helping out. Some Jacksonville FD & PD vehicles leading a convoy of National Guard trucks and this evening a Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission guy (looked like he had a Gen 5, probably G17) walked through the neighborhood doing a wellness check with some FD from Jacksonville and National Guard guys from Orlando. Very considerate folks.

User Tag List