Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Season 2020

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Brutal lightning and rain here. Just turned my HVAC and electronic devices back on.
    We had that this morning. It was timed perfectly for when we needed to walk the dogs and do our morning commute to work. Then it stopped once we got to work and it's just been cloudy since.

Site Supporter
    "BTW, is this storm’s name a sign of the times? Even the hurricanes have to be woke now?"

Seems completely appropriate to name a storm coming out of a region that was colonized by Spanish/Portuguese speakers with a Spanish/Port. name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaias_(given_name)
    https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/we...mvu-story.html

I acknowledge that the Isaias' genesis was off the coast of West Africa.

If by "woke" you mean latin names, they have been used at least since the 1800s when hurricanes were sometimes named after the Saint on which day the storm struck. i.e. Felipe

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames_history.shtml

If it makes you feel better, you could just call the storm Isiah. Oh wait ...that is of Hebrew origin.... After Isaias, the next three names for 2020 are Josephine, Kyle and Laura. Sleepy enough?

EOTG cancelled our Raid classes for today, possibly will pick up tomorrow but might get pushed till later in the week, Base pulled my dumpsters off our Onslow Beach compound, last hurricane all the dumpsters on the island ended up in the inter-coastal.... we strapped down the trainer Helo, and made sure all the zodiacs were in the boathouse.... Then fished for awhile off our boat ramp until PMO came by and told us they were shutting the bridge down at 1300... Pretty sure this one isn't going to be bad, but Base appears to be using it for a rehearsal.... We are going to loose some sand from the south side of the island and I'm pretty sure this storm will finish cutting the channel that Florence started...
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Site Supporter
    I'm in central SC and weather is fine for now.

Just spoke to an employee in the Hilton Head area who said it was spitting a little rain but not really windy.

No announcements from the Governor, no evac orders or bridge closures that I'm aware of. Most of the impact seems likely to be overnight and in the Grand Strand area. Flooding in areas that are used to seeing it.

Most focus still seems to be on Covid and social issues. Not as much attention to this storm as I feel our local news would normally give a pending hurricane. (Read the sky is falling warnings)

Site Supporter
    Our County EOC is opening at 0400 tomorrow and we are expecting up to six inches of rain in a short period of time. We will be on standby for emergency shelter duty. Of course, there are no open mental health beds here in central VA and my folks have done two MH transports today to the coalfield counties out west. Hope this trend doesn't continue....

Getting pretty dark in NoVA right now, stay safe all.

Site Supporter
    Pretty heavy storms moving through the central Shenandoah Valley for the last couple hours. I was coming back from Culpeper (was dry when I left) and was hydroplaning on Rt 33 at any speed over 45 in the Elkton area, which is unusual for this car.

Rain stopped in NoVA (in my AO), we'll see if we get a return later.

Y’all stay safe up there.

There was A Tornado warning from a storm running thru Orange NE to Fredericksburg Earlier this afternoon. Thankfully nothing materialized. They are still calling for 4-6 inches in that area with potential for flash floods. Hopefully no more tornadoes.

User Tag List