Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup Iron sights for MOS / CORE / CHPWS equipped pistols

@JSGlock34 thanks for that chart. Seems like it might depend on the plate? For instance, I'm using a 19.5 MOS gun, but with FCD plate. RM06, Ameriglo Gl-470's. Does the Lower 1/3 pretty well I think. These are called 2XL. The ones you're saying for lower 1/3 on MOS are 3XL and much higher.

ETA: just measured what Ameriglo is calling "deck height" and I'm getting .320 for my setup.
    Last edited by ASH556; 06-03-2020 at 01:33 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    @JSGlock34 thanks for that chart. Seems like it might depend on the plate? For instance, I'm using a 19.5 MOS gun, but with FCD plate. RM06, Ameriglo Gl-470's. Does the Lower 1/3 pretty well I think. These are called 2XL. The ones you're saying for lower 1/3 on MOS are 3XL and much higher.

ETA: just measured what Ameriglo is calling "deck height" and I'm getting .320 for my setup.
    I don't think the dependency is really on the mounting plate; it's far more the choice of optic. DPP for example has a much higher deck height than the RMR.

The difference between the 2XL and 3XL deck heights is actually quite small - .022". It's actually the smallest jump between the five different deck heights. That said, you can probably get away with GL-429s on a MOS, and it looks like your 2XL is perfectly serviceable.

I'll note the Trijicon GL-201 is also advertised as BUIS for a RMR, and measures the exact same as the GL-506/3XL sized sights (.451 rear/.365 front). And for whatever it's worth, I've seen this cited in a few places...

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I know.

My chances of being killed on my private range by a paper PF Q target are pretty slim though.
    I would love to see how accurate you can be just using the optic like a ghost ring. I am guessing pretty dang good enough for most things out to 25 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I would love to see how accurate you can be just using the optic like a ghost ring. I am guessing pretty dang good enough for most things out to 25 yards.
    Big fat nope on that.

At least, not in my experience
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Thank all of you for the feedback. Detailed descriptions and photos really help.

Current draft is: 19.5 MOS + CHPWS V4 MIL/LEO + RMR + Ameriglo GL-412-350 Front (2xl height) + Ameriglo GTR-209 Back (2xl height)+ Purple Sharpie on the rear vials. I can always nail polish the front sight if i want to play with an orange dot front iron sight. Based on the the posts from @Lon and @ASH556 i think the tritium vials will clear the deck of the RMR+v4 plate.

Simple and out of the way of the RMR sight picture in daylight and i'm looking forward to seeing how the irons work with and without the RMR dot at night.

Maybe i'll get the front sight machined to .115" at a local shop. 'cause reasons.

Wish the rear had a set screw, but i'll deal with it with some frequent nudging, red threadlocker and silver sharpie marks.

-----------------

https://ameriglo.com/uploads/2020Ame...agesForWeb.pdf

FRONT GL-412-350 .350" height .125" width Black outline green trit
    REAR GTR-209 .429" height .150" width Green trit/Black outline
    Last edited by SLUZENE; 06-06-2020 at 11:47 AM.

@SLUZENE FWIW I have tens of thousands of rounds on Glocks with non-set screwed Ameriglo rears and no movement.
    Food Court Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by SLUZENE View Post
    This would be primarily for the RMR going bad at night time, which of course, is probably pretty rare if i do my part to taking care of it while it rides EDC appendix. Daytime? I'm totally cool with black on black when used with RMR+MOS
    I've currently got RMR-equipped pistols with both tritium and not. I have no preference, as I can't see the tritium anyway. But if your worry is seeing irons at night, using a weaponlight solves that. My opinion as a civilian, of course

For what it's worth, here's the deck height on the GL506.

Name:  IMG_7715.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  90.5 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Not quite what you asking about but ... with an Acro P1, the ATEI Shimsight and Ameri-Glo front sight combo sit very low and clear up the view quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I've currently got RMR-equipped pistols with both tritium and not. I have no preference, as I can't see the tritium anyway. But if your worry is seeing irons at night, using a weaponlight solves that. My opinion as a civilian, of course
    Agree and that of several Leo and Mil friends.
    Food Court Apprentice

User Tag List