Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup Iron sights for MOS / CORE / CHPWS equipped pistols

Backup Iron sights for MOS / CORE / CHPWS equipped pistols

I seem to always want what does not exist and it seems I'm not alone.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....back-up-sights

I think the market is lacking regarding:

* lower ~1/3 for MOS/CORE/CHPWS equipped guns. i'm not sure why most people would want to true cowitness with their RMR on a pistol but I'm only one person.
    * green, orange or yellow tritium front that is as thin as possible (usually ~.120") . something like a proglo orange, yellow and straight black would be great.
    * set screw rear with trimmed corners (like ameriglo, etc) with dual green (preferably yellow or orange) tritium rear with a ~.150 notch

Anyone with me?

From Suarez, to Redback One, to 10-8, Ameriglo to Dawson I can't find anything like this.

This layout is my current rough draft for my 19.5MOS with my current training, knowledge, practice and daily routine. I currently have warren fiber optics on my 19.3, but i love the .120 proglo front, dual yellow .156 rear on my glock 43.

(edited for a better explanation)
    Last edited by SLUZENE; 06-02-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUZENE View Post
    I seem to always want what does not exist and it seems I'm not alone.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....back-up-sights

I think the market is lacking regarding:

* lower ~1/3 for MOS/CORE/CHPWS equipped guns. i'm not sure why most people would want to true cowitness with their RMR on a pistol but I'm only one person.
    * green, orange or yellow tritium front that is as thin as possible (usually ~.120") . something like a proglo orange, yellow and straight black would be great.
    * set screw rear with trimmed corners (like ameriglo, etc) with dual green (preferably yellow or orange) tritium rear with a ~.150 notch

Anyone with me?

From Suarez, to Redback One, to 10-8, Ameriglo to Dawson I can't find anything like this.

This layout is my current ideal for my 19.5MOS with my current training, knowledge, practice and daily routine. I currently have warren fiber optics on my 19.3, but i love the .120 proglo front, dual yellow .156 rear on my glock 43.
    When shooting irons only, I absolutely agree with the hi-viz (HD, Proglo, etc) tritium front sight. When used as backup/index sights in conjunction with an RDS I disagree. I want plain black because I don't want to look at them unless I have to. Hi viz front sight with a dot seems to negate that hole "target focus" advantage of the rds.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I think that's a fair point, and thank you. Other plan is to dim normal tritium (non outlined like proglo) them pretty well, such as a purple sharpie over green tritium like our very own Chuck Haggard does (not that he advocates sharpie to darken the vials, only to change color i recall).

This would be primarily for the RMR going bad at night time, which of course, is probably pretty rare if i do my part to taking care of it while it rides EDC appendix. Daytime? I'm totally cool with black on black when used with RMR+MOS
    Last edited by SLUZENE; 06-02-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    When shooting irons only, I absolutely agree with the hi-viz (HD, Proglo, etc) tritium front sight. When used as backup/index sights in conjunction with an RDS I disagree. I want plain black because I don't want to look at them unless I have to. Hi viz front sight with a dot seems to negate that hole "target focus" advantage of the rds.
    Agree with both posts.

Want a set up like OP's post but black front/rear irons.

So far I haven't found anything like that, but @JSGlock34 mentioned this:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1026964

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I believe the GL-506 is the MOS lower 1/3 co-witness height, and the GL-429 is intended for direct mill mounts. That said, I think the GL-429 will serve on a MOS gun, but will be a little lower than the traditional 1/3 co-witness.
    Haven't had a chance to acquire a set.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

I'm not qualified like many here. But I don't find my tritium front with white outline distracting. Probably because my sights sit so low(gl411 on MOS ch precision ).
    I think if I could choose I would have Dawson's with a fiber green front and plain square serrated rear.

So I've been through a few iterations of optics guns and BUIS. When I started I wanted a hi-viz front sight like on my iron sight guns. Back then I was also using the "press-out" and a slightly muzzle high presentation, which worked well with the bright front sight, but proved a poor match for an optic.

Personally, I don't want anything but the red dot and the target competing for my attention when presenting the pistol. I've since gone to all black Ameriglo BUIS. The GL-506 is the right height for MOS guns and places the rear notch at the same height as the deck of a RMR or SRO for a lower 1/3 co-witness. The GL-429 is intended for direct milled guns; the rear notch won't entirely clear the deck of a RMR/SRO on a MOS gun and is more like a lower 1/5 co-witness.

The Ameriglo website isn't the best, but page 10 of the Ameriglo 2019 Catalog has some good information on their suppressor/optic sights. I'm not sure how a set-screw rear is going to work with the limited MOS dovetail real estate. Based on your description, I *think* a GL-815 is about as close as you'll find from Ameriglo.

GL-815 3XL Tall Green Green Tritium 3 dot sight set black outlines .365" F .451" R

The GL-691 would offer a Pro-Glo front but a flat black rear. I'm doubtful this is a thin ProGlo.

GL-691 3XL Tall Green Tritium LimeGreenLumi Outline .365" front, FlatBlack .451" Rear

ETA: Here's the chart from the catalog. Lots of options from Ameriglo.

Last edited by JSGlock34; 06-02-2020 at 08:43 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I’m nearing the optic only, no back up irons at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I’m nearing the optic only, no back up irons at all.
    Having personally broken a number of Type 1 and Type 2 RMRs, I'm not there. $50 for BUIS is cheap insurance and I barely notice them anymore.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Here’s a G5.19MOS w/507c, CHPWS v3 plate and Ameriglo GL-429s.
    Name:  BD9B8DE5-5080-40F7-9121-429CA3097ABC.jpg
Views: 1758
Size:  28.5 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Having personally broken a number of Type 1 and Type 2 RMRs, I'm not there. $50 for BUIS is cheap insurance and I barely notice them anymore.
    I know.

My chances of being killed on my private range by a paper PF Q target are pretty slim though.

User Tag List