Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backup Iron sights for MOS / CORE / CHPWS equipped pistols

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    For what it's worth, here's the deck height on the GL506.

Attachment 55527
    Is that just coloring or a bevel cut down the side of that RMR?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

GL-470 deck height

Name:  6CE24276-EADA-429A-B181-A3E36B0F49EE.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  28.8 KB
    Food Court Apprentice

So I decided to compare the GL470 and GL506 while using a RMR RM06 on a FCD plate. Like @ASH556 posted, the GL470 cowitnesses quite nicely with this setup, and it is a .022" lower than the GL506. Not quite sure why Ameriglo steered folks towards the 3XL sight when the 2XL works quite well with the RMR, or why Trijicon went with the same 3XL height sights for their BUIS offering. The GL506 is a touch higher - it is hard to even notice the difference - and might be preferable if using a thicker aftermarket plate (the OEM and FCD plates are the same height). Given the choice using this setup, I'm inclined to give the nod to the GL470s and other 2XL height sights considering the small RMR window.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Here’s a G5.19MOS w/507c, CHPWS v3 plate and Ameriglo GL-429s.
    Attachment 55281
    That looks pretty good. Is there a difference in plate thickness between the v3 and v4 CHPWS plates? If it's not significant I may run the same sights for my 19.5MOS w/507c

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    That looks pretty good. Is there a difference in plate thickness between the v3 and v4 CHPWS plates? If it's not significant I may run the same sights for my 19.5MOS w/507c
    That’s a good question. Don’t know for sure, but @chpws should be able to tell you.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    @SLUZENE FWIW I have tens of thousands of rounds on Glocks with non-set screwed Ameriglo rears and no movement.
    That's really good to hear. I suppose some cases of that may be to someone with a really tight fit, but generally I don't see a downside to a rear set screw. Maybe it's not possible / less in smaller front to back sights like are needed on MOS pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Agree and that of several Leo and Mil friends.
    I've not seen a consensus on night sights between CIV, CIV LEO or MIL regarding night sights. Many people, including Greg Ellifritz, Chuck Haggard and Craig Douglas seem to use them on carry guns last time I instagram/blog researched them. Last I checked, Paul Sharp runs fibers on his duty gun. I think Kyle Defoor uses straight black (his sights at Ameriglo) No consensus. At the end of the day, people should probably arrive at carry gun setup logically and objectively rather than emotionally. If someone is ticking that box, then great. I asked Craig in person too and he seems to still carry with warren tritiums.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/7668

I will say I think the whole can't see your sights then you can't see your target is completely incorrect. We don't live in a black and white world, both metaphorically or literally. I can easily see a person breaking through a glass back door with a porch light in a dark living room and aim easily with night sights. Not so much for my warren fiber optics. Illuminating myself in such a case to get more light on the target and help use my fiber optic sights may not be life changing, but I'm not seeing the point. I'd rather give verbal commands from concealment. /ninja

Same with some really dark parking lots. Bad guy could be under a light where I'm in a spot that's a little too dim to see my sights. Unless you want a such a thin sight that the custom/off the shelf solutions of tritium are too wide for your wants/needs, and cost is not an issue, generally I think tritium makes sense.
    Last edited by SLUZENE; 06-30-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUZENE View Post
    I've not seen a consensus on night sights between CIV, CIV LEO or MIL regarding night sights. Many people, including Greg Ellifritz, Chuck Haggard and Craig Douglas seem to use them on carry guns last time I instagram/blog researched them. Last I checked, Paul Sharp runs fibers on his duty gun. I think Kyle Defoor uses straight black (his sights at Ameriglo) No consensus. At the end of the day, people should probably arrive at carry gun setup logically and objectively rather than emotionally. If someone is ticking that box, then great. I asked Craig in person too and he seems to still carry with warren tritiums.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/7668

I will say I think the whole can't see your sights then you can't see your target is completely incorrect. We don't live in a black and white world, both metaphorically or literally. I can easily see a person breaking through a glass back door with a porch light in a dark living room and aim easily with night sights. Not so much for my warren fiber optics. Illuminating myself in such a case to get more light on the target and help use my fiber optic sights may not be life changing, but I'm not seeing the point. I'd rather give verbal commands from concealment. /ninja

Same with some really dark parking lots. Bad guy could be under a light where I'm in a spot that's a little too dim to see my sights. Unless you want a such a thin sight that the custom/off the shelf solutions of tritium are too wide for your wants/needs, and cost is not an issue, generally I think tritium makes sense.
    Without a dot I agree with tritium. I was speaking specifically to tritium on buis with a dot on a pistol.
    Food Court Apprentice

User Tag List