Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: private email clients

RFI: private email clients

Yo. I’d like to purchase an email client that I can use on both desktop and ipad. None of this “free” stuff (outlook, thunderbird, etc.)

Is there a way to just pay for something that will download and archive my email (multiple accounts); that allows for copying and pasting addresses; that doesn’t have retarded spell checking?

Just throwing it up here to see if the P-F brain trust knows something I don’t. I’m tired of having to log in to a half-dozen accounts, and having to save drafts on one device, then open them on another just to cc specific students on specific projects at multiple institutions all using the same lame software.

Maybe someone here has solved this problem. Open to ideas, and thanks a ton in advance.

Do you not like the iOS/Apple client?

I hate to say it but Gmail works really well for managing multiple accounts. Predictive typing can be turned off and I believe spell check can be too.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Sounds like you want some sort of web-based mail. I really like ProtonMail. Once you get the paid account (worth it IMO), I think you get the features that you want.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Do you not like the iOS/Apple client?

I hate to say it but Gmail works really well for managing multiple accounts. Predictive typing can be turned off and I believe spell check can be too.
    Not a fan of the stuff that comes as an option on iOS. Plus, looking for something where they are monetizing by charging me, not selling me.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Sounds like you want some sort of web-based mail. I really like ProtonMail. Once you get the paid account (worth it IMO), I think you get the features that you want.
    Proton mail, eh? I’ll have a look. I really want the ability to archive offline though. I’ve had the experience of being able to produce emails that the powers that be tried to remove, and this likely helped me keep my position, and get another removed from theirs.

Location, location, and location has been supplanted in the 21st-c. by documentaion, documentation and documentation.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Are you wanting to sync across your desktop and your iPad, while making offline copies on your desktop?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Mac or PC?

Frankly, Outlook sounds like what you want. Supports multiple accounts and should allow offline archiving. Is there something it’s missing? That may help us identify an alternative for you.

One I just looked up (haven't seen in years), is Eudora.
    https://computerhistory.org/blog/the...t-source-code/

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Are you wanting to sync across your desktop and your iPad, while making offline copies on your desktop?
    Ideally, yes.

@CalAlumnus, Mac.

I’ve had enough of outlook at work.

I haven't used it personally, but have heard good things about Spark. Available for both Mac and iPad.

Here's a review of the Mac version (as well as other third-party mail apps): https://thesweetsetup.com/apps/favor...l-client-os-x/

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    I haven't used it personally, but have heard good things about Spark. Available for both Mac and iPad.

Here's a review of the Mac version (as well as other third-party mail apps): https://thesweetsetup.com/apps/favor...l-client-os-x/
    That looks interesting, thanks.

User Tag List