Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Florida Travel

To cross Florida from Oop Nort, I'd take 1-75 to the Turnpike- it's relatively quick, but any road route is going to take a lot of hours.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Until maybe a week ago, only residents could enter the Keys. How old are your kids and what do they like to do?

It's my understanding that Miami-Dade and Broward still have more restrictions than the rest of the state. Everywhere else it's 50% capacity, distancing, etc. Traffic in Broward and Miami-Dade is bad, and Floridians are terrible drivers.

On your way to the Keys, once you pass Homestead, there isn't anything but sawgrass until you get to he Keys.

Tavenier to Key West will be a two hour drive on a good day. @rob_s is spot on about the Keys being dingy, old tourist Florida, but that's what makes them cool. You can walk Key West easily, but they also have a trolley thing that does tours. The fort is cool (and literally cool on a hot day), but not large. You don't have time to even think about the Tortugas.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Floridians are terrible drivers.
    quick point of clarification...

FLORIDIANS are some of the best, most courteous, helpful, and kind drivers I've ever encountered anywhere.

What we are saddled with is carpetbaggers, midwesterners, and immigrants from further south (many of whom were driving a goat two weeks ago and are now operating a car on a highway at 90 mph) who haven't the foggiest idea how to drive properly.

All of that said, to someone coming from outside the state, you're going to notice a massive change in traffic patterns and drivers as you travel from N Florida (which is more like GA and AL, where people will stop at a 4-way to wave each other through) to S Florida (which is more like Chicago, Port Au Prince, NYC, LA, and Havana), so be aware. If another driver, from a little north of Orlando on down, sees you trying to merge into a semit-truck-length space in front of them, they will speed up to prevent you from doing so despite the fact that they'd been previously cruising along at that distance for the last 50 miles. that same person will then later on try to enter the Yugo-sized space between you and the car behind you with zero turn signal or indication.

The more north you go in Florida, the more southern it feels. The more south you go the more Northern it feels (with a dash of 3rd-world-country tossed in for good measure).

Site Supporter
    Until maybe a week ago, only residents could enter the Keys. How old are your kids and what do they like to do?

It's my understanding that Miami-Dade and Broward still have more restrictions than the rest of the state. Everywhere else it's 50% capacity, distancing, etc. Traffic in Broward and Miami-Dade is bad, and Floridians are terrible drivers.

On your way to the Keys, once you pass Homestead, there isn't anything but sawgrass until you get to he Keys.

Tavenier to Key West will be a two hour drive on a good day. @rob_s is spot on about the Keys being dingy, old tourist Florida, but that's what makes them cool. You can walk Key West easily, but they also have a trolley thing that does tours. The fort is cool (and literally cool on a hot day), but not large. You don't have time to even think about the Tortugas.
    Kids are daughter age 15 and boys ages 11 and 7. We vacationed on Alligator Point in the Panacea / Wakula area a couple of years ago and had an enjoyable time.

The wife and I have been to Key West years ago but none of the other keys (it was a port for us on a cruise). Kids have never been.

We tend to prefer a more laid back atmosphere for the beach, especially with the kids. They want to snorkle one day and I mentioned the visit to Key West.

I wanted to try fishing and looked at chartering a boat for a half day. Saw the prices and decided I didnt want to fish that bad.

Days will likely be mainly beach, pool, reading, beer, and food in no particular order. Pizza, burgers, maybe some seafood for meals out.

I appreciate the traffic tips too!

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I wanted to try fishing and looked at chartering a boat for a half day. Saw the prices and decided I didnt want to fish that bad.
    you might try "drift fishing" or a "party boat". Not quite as bougie. I've chartered full on big sportfish boats for small groups, and I've taken my daughter on a party boat. I had about the same amount of fun, frankly.

these guys are $55/person for adults
    https://sailorschoicefishingboat.com/
    (I've never used them, just as a sample.)

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post

I don't know what kind of boats/guides you looked at, but a 1-2 person flats trip might be reasonable, if you're interested in that. Also, I'd call and ask rather than look at websites. Captains/guides here have been complaining about Covid19 shutdown and are looking for charters.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    I don't know what kind of boats/guides you looked at, but a 1-2 person flats trip might be reasonable, if you're interested in that. Also, I'd call and ask rather than look at websites. Captains/guides here have been complaining about Covid19 shutdown and are looking for charters.
    Good to know!

I live in Florida during the winter and just got back to the Midwest. During normal times the Keys are a fun place to visit, but given an option, I would recommend the Gulf side, heading towards the Naples, Fort Myers, Sarasota area. Considering the restraints that still may be imposed on the Keys, not sure it would be worth the drive down.

Quote Originally Posted by marinedoc View Post
    I live in Florida during the winter and just got back to the Midwest. During normal times the Keys are a fun place to visit, but given an option, I would recommend the Gulf side, heading towards the Naples, Fort Myers, Sarasota area. Considering the restraints that still may be imposed on the Keys, not sure it would be worth the drive down.
    I second this.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Made it! No traffic issues. Were stopped at the border for Covid screening but since we weren't from a high risk local we sailed through. Condo is nice and made it in time to grab pizza and beer. @rob_s gonna check out the party fishing boats tomorrow.

Name:  20200605_200233.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  46.3 KB

User Tag List