Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI: patio sound system

Small update...

While I was pretty happy with the setup, I think that the above device may be crapping the bed. Only one channel seems to be working, but I haven't gotten back there with a screwdriver to see if I might be able to trouble-shoot it by moving the wires around. It's either (a) only one channel works now or (b) three of the four speakers have crapped out. I'm betting it's (a) but I won't know until I go loosen and move around the speaker connections.

Assuming that my bet is correct, I'm kind of back to the drawing board regarding receivers. I'm still pretty surprised that this isn't a better represented thing in the market, as I didn't think it would be that hard to find an outdoor rated receiver. I don't think it's that odd to want to be able to change the volume manually right at the source, or even via remote. I may just have to go with a regular "indoor" receiver/amp and see what happens in the Florida humidity.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Warning -Long winded.

Executive summary -keep all electronics as cool/dry as possible when they are in an “outdoor” setting.

Way back in the day, (40-45 years ago) all of us good Catholics and Jews belonged to the JCC to use the outdoor pool.
    (WASPs went to the YMCA.)

The pool entry control point was stone countered with roll down doors and some screening near the rafters/roofline.
    The receiver that powered two JBL monitors in the control area and all the outdoor bullhorn style speakers was either a Fisher or Marrantz receiver. IIRC, it sat up high on a shelf where it could not get wet. It was however exposed to the KCMO heart of the city heat/humidity plus any extra that comes off off a 25 x 50 meter pool with a connected diving area

I distinctly recall a mid sized tabletop oscillating fan that ALWAYS cooled the receiver. Sometimes a box fan was cooling the counter workers but the fan described above had but one purpose. I know that receiver put in multiple seasons.

I would buy whatever the cheapest receiver I could get that works with what I have and drive on, keeping it as cool and dry as possible. If I got 3-5 seasons out of the receiver, I would be happy. 5+ would be gravy.

FWIW/YMMV Greatly
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 11-11-2020 at 07:20 PM.

We’re still happy with the Amazon Link. We’ve had a couple weird glitches and have had to learn the Alexa intricacies but overall very pleased. I like that I can stream on all my speakers inside and out and as I move around the house have the same song.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Warning -Long winded.

Executive summary -keep all electronics as cool/dry as possible when they are in an “outdoor” setting.

Way back in the day, (40-45 years ago) all of us good Catholics and Jews belonged to the JCC to use the outdoor pool.
    (WASPs went to the YMCA.)

The pool entry control point was stone countered with roll down doors and some screening near the rafters/roofline.
    The receiver that powered two JBL monitors in the control area and all the outdoor bullhorn style speakers was either a Fisher or Marrantz receiver. IIRC, it sat up high on a shelf where it could not get wet. It was however exposed to the KCMO heart of the city heat/humidity plus any extra that comes off off a 25 x 50 meter pool with a connected diving area

I distinctly recall a mid sized tabletop oscillating fan that ALWAYS cooled the receiver. Sometimes a box fan was cooling the counter workers but the fan described above had but one purpose. I know that receiver put in multiple seasons.

I would buy whatever the cheapest receiver I could get that works with what I have and drive on, keeping it as cool and dry as possible. If I got 3-5 seasons out of the receiver, I would be happy. 5+ would be gravy.

FWIW/YMMV Greatly
    You know the funny part? I just ordered this (and at this price I may order two more!)
    Sony STRDH190 2-ch Home Stereo Receiver with Phono Inputs & Bluetooth
    Name:  A083C7DE-CBB9-4F53-94EE-A1E8782FF7B6.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  23.0 KB

And I plan to plug this in next to it

Holmes 8-Inch Fan | Lil’ Blizzard Oscillating Table Fan, Black
    Name:  6E80B49E-5F27-48BC-9BE5-63680A7C98CA.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  42.1 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List