Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: patio sound system

RFI: patio sound system

We will be needing some speakers and associated wiring/head unit/whatever in the near future for an outdoor covered area. not sure exactly what we will want or need, but the wife will want "loud", and I will want compatible with Spotify and chromecast. My questions are:

1) is there an "easy" and "wireless" option here? e.g. powered speakers that get the signal wirelessly but can be sync'd up?
    2) If not, do I just grab a cheap "receiver" and replace it every few years as the Florida weather wears it out, or is there something better?
    3) Do I even want a "receiver" if all I'm trying to do is Chromecast/Airplay or is there some sort of tiny device that can do that and power the speakers?
    4) possibility for a subwoofer in this?

I think that's my questions for now, but I'm definitely sure I'm missing some things.

I put one in our patio a few years ago. Here is what I did:

Our patio is off of our living room. I placed an old Sony receiver in the living room entertainment center and ran speaker wire up the wall, through the attic and out to 2 JBL Marine/Outdoor speakers mounted in a pergola. I attached an old iPhone to the receiver to act as a dedicated iPod/digital music center connected to the wifi.

I wouldn’t do it again.

Even with the wired setup we almost exclusively use Bluetooth speakers now. I’d go with a couple speakers that could be paired and call it a day. I like the UE Boom speakers. Having to go back in to adjust volume or change the song was a pain, with Bluetooth Im streaming from the phone I already have out so it’s an easy adjustment. As long as you keep the speakers charged it’s probably a more enjoyable option.

Well, I know what the wife wants, which is Sonos. But that's just not where I want to wind up budget-wise.

The structure is mostly free-standing, otherwise I'd be more inclined to put a chromecast/airplay receiver indoors and just run the wires around the structure.

Just in case anyone was playing along...

I decided to go cheap on this. Learn cheap, maybe upgrade later.

Got two pairs of Monoprice 6.5in Weatherproof 2-Way Speakers with Wall Mount Bracket (Pair Black) on order

One of these came in today Pyle 6-Channel Audio Marine Amplifier - Compact Power 600 Watt RMS 4 OHM Full Range Stereo with Volume Bass Treble Rotary Control - Wireless Bluetooth Receiver Speaker & LCD Digital Screen PFMRA640BB

I have an old chromecast audio (that they don’t appear to sell anymore) that I’m going to plug into the Pyle and see how that goes.

I may need to find a box to put the receiver and chromecast in. The receiver claims to be “marine” but I doubt it really.

Site Supporter
    I really enjoy the Sonos user experience. If I were going to install outdoor speakers, I'd do like you did, but power them with the Sonos Amp: https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-versati...2140781&sr=8-1

I bought four Play:3's for my business and really like how they work. We are moving into a new building that's wired with in-ceiling speakers, and I'm going to take the Play:3's home with me and use a Sonos Port to keep playing our music at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Parf View Post
    I really enjoy the Sonos user experience. If I were going to install outdoor speakers, I'd do like you did, but power them with the Sonos Amp: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp.html

I bought four Play:3's for my business and really like how they work. We are moving into a new building that's wired with in-ceiling speakers, and I'm going to take the Play:3's home with me and use a Sonos Port to keep playing our music at work.
    I want to like the Sonos system, but it just feels so restricting in 2020. Now that there’s chromecast, and apple airplay, the way the Sonos works seems limiting to me. We have a Sonos One in the kitchen, and it does sound good, but to get on that system throughout the house and shop would get real expensive real quick. And would involve, ditching perfect,y good gear just to get into that ecosystem.

But, as you say, we’ll have the speakers wired up and we can switch out the amp at any time.

I guess I'm just a heathen. I just toss a couple linked UE Boom bluetooth speakers out there and then get my drink on.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I guess I'm just a heathen. I just toss a couple linked UE Boom bluetooth speakers out there and then get my drink on.
    That’s definitely not going to cut it with the wife. We’ve had similar on the patio for a long time and it’s been a constant source of complaint.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I just use my Dewalt charger/radio for everything. That sucker is loud. But probably not classy enough for Rob.

Honestly we very rarely run speaker wires in our homes any more. It’s all Bluetooth. The quality is loads better than they were a few years ago, you can mount them anywhere, and you don’t have to fish and/or hide wires all over.

A few years ago we built a home in the “fancy” neighborhood. I ran speakers all over this house. Last year we added on a quarter-million dollar patio/outdoor area. It was baller. No speakers though, he went all Bluetooth out there. So I don’t know what he used...since there was nothing for me to do.

We’ve gotten spoiled by being able to sync up the shop, main house, patio, garage... all playing the same thing. It’s all too far for Bluetooth. I’d love to hit an “easy” button like Bluetooth but it doesn’t do everything we want it to. Needs to be WiFi (of which, we do have coverage all over).

What we want to do used to pretty much limit one to Sonos, but we’ e had success with AirPlay and Chromecast so I’m hoping we can work it out with one or the other of those.

User Tag List