Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: patio sound system

I've got a co-worker who analyzes things to the ends of the earth, and passes Rob when he does it. He was a die hard Sonos guy until this past year. Sold it all and went Google with some speakers. He got better speakers, more options, and had money left over.

Myself, the Bose and UE Boom offerings are good enough for most things. The older Bose models are good enough for a large BJJ gym open mat, I couldn't imagine how good two of them linked could be on a patio.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    I bought 3 Sonos devices maybe 10 years ago. One of my best purchases; at the time so much the Easy button compared to anything else. They are by far my wife’s favorite tech devices. Even 10 years later I am still hearing the phrase “why couldn’t they have done as well as Sonos did?” when my wife has to fool with any other device.

I mentioned earlier that I had ran JBL outdoor speakers linked to an old receiver with an IPhone plugged into it for our patio system. Biggest complaint is the receiver and phone are in the living room which isn’t very conducive to changing songs or volume while sitting on the porch.

We bought and Echo link and connected it to our receiver today and now have full WiFi control of our hardwired outdoor speakers, can skip songs and change volume. Currently sitting on the porch changing volumes and skipping songs with my phone. Big step up in usability.

https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Link-Str...echo+li&sr=8-2

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I mentioned earlier that I had ran JBL outdoor speakers linked to an old receiver with an IPhone plugged into it for our patio system. Biggest complaint is the receiver and phone are in the living room which isn’t very conducive to changing songs or volume while sitting on the porch.

We bought and Echo link and connected it to our receiver today and now have full WiFi control of our hardwired outdoor speakers, can skip songs and change volume. Currently sitting on the porch changing volumes and skipping songs with my phone. Big step up in usability.

https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Link-Str...echo+li&sr=8-2
    What app do you use to control volume? Or is it just the phone volume controls?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What app do you use to control volume? Or is it just the phone volume controls?
    If I start play through the Alexa app there is a little slider bar that can control the volume but the phone volume buttons do not work. If I play through the Amazon Music app the volume buttons on the phone will control it.

Only thing I noticed today was the volume I wanted was right between the two levels I was at. I need to play with the hardware some and see if I can find a sweet spot. Right now the receiver has a volume control, the Link has a volume control and then you can control with the apps. I’m not sure yet how everything syncs up, I’m pretty sure the Link and receiver are independent controls but I don’t know how the apps fit in.

Just in case anyone was playing along...
    I have been...

You operational with this? Did it meet your Wife's expectations? I have some boat speakers I retained from my last shitty decision that would work out perfectly and already have an extension cored snaked under the deck for the fan up in the canopy and this would be a quick and easy install that could come down in the winter pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I have been...

You operational with this? Did it meet your Wife's expectations? I have some boat speakers I retained from my last shitty decision that would work out perfectly and already have an extension cored snaked under the deck for the fan up in the canopy and this would be a quick and easy install that could come down in the winter pretty easy.
    It’s working out great so far! There are some oddities and foibles to work out in terms of what inputs actually feed what outputs but a series of splitters got me sorted out, haha.

Even the bass isn’t bad, and when using the Spotify app you even have some measure of volume control if you’re connected through the chromecast.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

It’s working out great so far!
    Thanks for the update, Imma gonna go for it. Might surprise my wife, she will really enjoy having music out on the deck. I was unaware there might be something that could just be left out there.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Thanks for the update, Imma gonna go for it. Might surprise my wife, she will really enjoy having music out on the deck. I was unaware there might be something that could just be left out there.
    Here’s something else I did, at least for now
    SOCKiTBOX – The Original Weatherproof Connection Box – Indoor & Outdoor Electrical Power Cord Enclosure for Timers, Extension Cables, Reels, Transformers, Power Strips, Lights & Tools – Large – Black

It just houses the power strip and the chromecast, and I’ve put as much of the loose wire in there as I could. The receiver itself sits on top of this, for now. I don’t know if any of that really matters, but it’s what I’ve done. Eventually I hope to have a summer kitchen and bar, and the recover will somehow get integrated into that, and the various cabling etc will get concealed... right now it’s kind of a Sanford &son thing with a plastic folding table, the above-linked-to waterproof box, the receiver, some coiled and spliced speaker cables, etc.

Here’s something else I did, at least for now
    Those look handy, but I think I should be able to make some kind of shelf up under the canopy. It is just one of those half-ass things from Lowes but it has expanded our enjoyment and utilization of the deck by a hundred times, the table and chairs are not all wet from dew in the morning and the shade is welcome after work. There is already a power cord right in a corner that has a switch built into it that runs a fan that hangs in the center. Not a perfect solution, because we will not always want the fan when we want the music, but probably ride out the rest of the season (it is seasonal for us up here... ) unplugging the fan when we do not want it. The nice things is the switched power cord will shut down everything when we go in for the night.

User Tag List