Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 374: FSP Skills Check

Week 374: FSP Skills Check

Week 374: FSP Skills Check

Results may be posted until June 29th, 2020.

Designed by: SsevenN
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: Download printable targets, see below
    Start position: Holstered, see below
    Rounds fired: 10

---

Many thanks to @SsevenN for the contribution to the Drill of the Week! SsevenN’s FSP Skills Check is a succinct assessment of shooting basics (string 1), a simplistic act of self-defense (string 2), and more complex shooting in self-defense (string 3.)

---

Start with handgun loaded and holstered either under concealment, or in a level III duty holster. Place the targets 7 yards away, positioned edge-to-edge, with the CNS target above the COM target.

String 1: Shooter fires 3 shots at the 2” circle, untimed.
    String 2: Shooter starts gun holstered, at the start of the timer, draw and fire 1 shot to the high thoracic rectangle.
    String 3: Shooter starts gun holstered, at the start of the timer, draw and fire 4 shots to the high thoracic rectangle and 2 shots to the 4” head circle.

Penalties: +1 second per miss on paper, instant fail for shots off paper

Scoring: Raw times for String 2 and 3, plus penalties.

4 seconds or under – Expert
    7 seconds or under – Advanced
    10 seconds or under – Experienced

Download targets: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j8qe2d3xx...x1CMTSOEa?dl=0

Name:  FSP Skillcheck Printable-01.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  17.9 KBName:  FSP Skillcheck Printable-02.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  24.4 KBName:  DOTM 1.0 - FSP SKILL CHECK.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  51.6 KB

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (gun, holster, concealment)
    Pass or Fail (made all hits on paper)
    Scoring threshold reached (Expert, Advanced, Experienced)
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Here's my personal best (shot about 2 weeks ago)
    I plan on going back to shooting irons for a bit and think I can squeeze out a better score for this drill of the week, the 2 draws in 7 shots really weight the draw split and I find I suffer about a .20-.25 slower draw split with a dot (only a thousand or so rounds in with a Dot so I may defeat this issue in the future)
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Very nice, sir!
    I shot this today with a coworker; we are “seasoned” LE instructors.
    My gear was my usual daily concealment nowadays: Gen5G19MOS w/ACRO and TLR8 out of a JMCK OWB2 under a shirt. Shot cold after some rifle work.
    First three rounds(thanks for the warmup!) and was slightly right with 2 rounds; thinking a bit about that, I believe I just “forced” a couple. S2: 2.83 S3:5.23 TOTAL:8.06. Clean, all hits in box/circle, so “EXPERIENCED”(whew). I believe I can shave a bit off, as I was concentrating on “precision with the dot”. As I’ve said before:”just shoot it”.
    Coworker shot iron sighted GLOCK out of a Safariland holster from under a vest. First was over 10 seconds with 1 hit each box/circle out-shut still on paper. 11 seconds and change. He shot a second run for redemption: S1:2.19 S2:7.18, clean total 9.37-“Experienced”.
    I appreciate the ranking and effort to post this. It’s going in the “cold”drill rotation. I may also give it a go on darkened indoor range with light/laser, see what happens. Nice low round eval.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Very nice, sir!
    slightly right with 2 rounds; thinking a bit about that, I believe I just “forced” a couple. S2: 2.83 S3:5.23 TOTAL:8.06.
    Apologies in advance for rule lawyering you, but the slowfire/"untimed" string still adds +1 sec per miss to your total time
    Unless you are saying slightly right, but still touching the circle, in which case ignore me...

Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    Apologies in advance for rule lawyering you, but the slowfire/"untimed" string still adds +1 sec per miss to your total time
    Unless you are saying slightly right, but still touching the circle, in which case ignore me...
    Well, ouch...*sigh*.
    Means there’s more room for improvement-I’ll fix it!

Gun/gear/start: HK P30S V3 Gray Guns, TLR-7 WML, condition 1, AIWB JMCK WML fitted holster

I shot 3 of these today peppered in between top secret drill development
    the first one, cold had a miss and ended up mid 6's

featured and pictured, the "intermission" run mid trip, beat my personal best

Name:  FSP skill check 6520.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  23.7 KBName:  FSP skill check 6520.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  23.7 KB

Went back to play testing some other stuff for a bit and when I felt the tank was just about empty, went for an all or nothing run as a cool down.

Name:  FSP skill check PB 6520.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  31.1 KB

Even reverting to irons to take advantage of the draw split gaming I'm still short of the expert tier on my best day, definitely have felt like i've been at a technical and physical glass ceiling for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    Okey dokey-I’m not up on posting images, much less video...but, went at it again with a practice partner this AM on an outdoor range.
    Usual gear:Gen5G19MOS, etc., as before. IDPA vest as we have a first match in months tomorrow and I wanted a little fam fire.
    S1: 3 shots IN the circle.
    S2: 2.49, single in the box.
    S3: 4.87, clean- TOTAL: 7.36, still “Experienced”...
    Shooting partner had 12 and change. His “overage”, if you will, was pretty much +2 seconds for shots outside the zero zones. We shot it relatively “cold”, just after checking zeros on newly mounted carbine optics.
    Personally, I’m taking way too long on S2, one round to center. A 2 second S2 certainly doable obviously.
    I do think it should be shot cold and/or gassed out. Not practiced, as that would skew the result.
    Thumbs up again; I plan on a cold run next week.

Equipment used (gun, holster, concealment): Glock 19.5 + RM06, concealed SS IWB (JM V3) under a Polo.
    Pass or Fail (made all hits on paper): Pass
    Scoring threshold reached (Expert, Advanced, Experienced): Experienced (8.3 sec w/penalties)
    Anything you noticed

First time shooting this drill and first time running this gun from concealment. I shot this torward the end of a session and wanted to save my final 10 rounds for a 25yd group, so I took a gimme on the fact that my other two slowfire shots would have been good.

2.08 for string 2
    4.22 for string 3 with 2 outside the box.

My draw is my weak point. I've been actively working on it for speed since 2016 and 4 years later I'm good for a consistent 1.2-1.3 to a "body" at 7yds and 1.5-1.6 to a "head" at 7yds without concealment (ALS or USPSA holster). IWB concealment takes me to a 1.5-1.6 "body" and 1.9-2.0 "head". I was a bit conservative on string 2 and my hit was perfectly centered. My first 2 hits of string 3 were good, then it fell off the rails. I'd like to work this one a bit more. The "body" zone certainly requires more care than an "A" zone or 8" circle.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Cz P09 w/ dawsons
    Jmck aiwb 2.5
    polo for concealment

Pass
    Advanced
    Total time - 5.97 total time

String 1 - 3 hits

String 2 - 1.62 clean

Name:  20200610_105247.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  21.1 KB

String 3 - 4.35 clean

Name:  20200610_105413.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  23.4 KB

I enjoyed this. It was the second drill of the day. I hadn't touched the p09 since last year but I had a DA/SA fix to itch today. P series cz's are my favorite da/sa guns and i'm toying with the idea of dotting this one. I shot rather conservatively but I printed several sets of this target so I can push a bit in the future, though I don't think i've got an expert score in me at the moment. Altogether a nice quick little drill, well thought out.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Glock 17 G4MOS with Venom; JMCK AIWB under a shirt.
    Pass
    Advanced, 6.02 seconds.

Still struggling to get consistently under 1.3 sec from draw to first shot. When shooting the 3rd string, I noticed I kept a better rhythm and speed when starting at the lower half of the box and walk my shots up. By the time I am ready for the head shots, I'm almost already there.

Great drill. Thanks!

User Tag List