Thread: Upgrade G43 or buy G43X?

Upgrade G43 or buy G43X?

I currently own a Glock 43 and carry it fairly often. It has been great and completely reliable. The only upgrades are sights and a TDG Striker Control Device. If I'm not carrying the G43, I have a G19 Gen5 with an RMR. I love the red dot and have one on my duty G41. So, I pre-ordered a Holosun 407K.

Anyways, my question is, should I get the G43 milled for the 407K or sell it to fund a G43X to have milled? The obvious advantage of G43X is capacity and the Shield 15rd magazines.

The G43 can get ultra small with a flush 6rd magazine, which the G43X cannot. I have a bunch of the TD Vickers +2 base plate magazines too, so I can carry with 8+1.

I feel like if I'm going to carry a G43X, why not just carry my G19?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

** EDIT TO ADD** I probably should have put this in the 'Semi-Auto Pistols' forum, if someone could move it.
    Last edited by CWE; 06-21-2020 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CWE View Post
    I currently own a Glock 43 and carry it fairly often. It has been great and completely reliable. The only upgrades are sights and a TDG Striker Control Device. If I'm not carrying the G43, I have a G19 Gen5 with an RMR. I love the red dot and have one on my duty G41. So, I pre-ordered a Holosun 407K.

Anyways, my question is, should I get the G43 milled for the 407K or sell it to fund a G43X to have milled? The obvious advantage of G43X is capacity and the Shield 15rd magazines.

The G43 can get ultra small with a flush 6rd magazine, which the G43X cannot. I have a bunch of the TD Vickers +2 base plate magazines too, so I can carry with 8+1.

I feel like if I'm going to carry a G43X, why not just carry my G19?

Thanks

** EDIT TO ADD** I probably should have put this in the 'Semi-Auto Pistols' forum, if someone could move it.
    Certainly there are no wrong answers to your inquiry, but I think you have the gist of it in your last statement (("I feel like if I'm going to carry a 43X, why not just carry my g19?")

The G43 sale to fund a G43X would cost you money for minimum gain, IMHO. The advantage of the G43 is the compact size, and the addition of a 407K should not detract from that attribute much.

Speaking from my experience with carrying and shooting a 19 and 48, the slim Glocks can be shot quite well at a cost of having to be more mindful of how you’re handling the gun. The moment you start thinking it’s a 19, you’re gonna pay for it but you can shoot it almost as well as one..if that makes sense. Again, this is for the 48, I’ve shot the 43X very very sparingly but I’d imagine it being about the same performance wise.

What you get out of it is more comfort and concealability, I find with my frame the slimline Glock to be much easier to conceal even with an RMR hanging off of if. Wearing a t shirt with the wind gusting against my gun, it hardly prints compared to a thicker 19. The cool thing about the G43 & G43X/G48 is how the parts interchange. You can actually take off the slide from a 43 and stick it onto a 43X/48 frame and shoot it. I’ve taken my top end of my 48 and shot a 43 lower on it a couple of times. Wouldn’t seem like a bad idea to mill a 43 and have a 43X frame hanging around if you don’t mind having to swap them around. The 43X does have the marksman barrel which is arguably more accurate at distance so I’d say just get a 43X and cut that if that is something that you value.

Name:  E77B2249-FFD0-43BE-8AA7-049B4B7604FB.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  36.7 KB
    48 slide ontop of a 43 frame, fully functional

I've divested of all the uber-small GLOCKS. The G43 was too small/slippery in my hand for any kind of engagement at speed, and the capacity limitation bothered me. I had the same opinion of the 43X, the grip length made it not significantly easier to conceal than the G19. Right now my "summer" GLOCK is the G26, with a G17 mag as a reload.

Quote Originally Posted by CWE View Post

This might be out of left field, but I just traded my G43X for a Sig P365XL. The XL has a plate for an optic, standard. It is 12+1 out of the box, and there is a 15 round mag. Is that an option?

I found the 43 very squirmy when shooting. Astonishingly so; I was very prepared to buy one at one point, until I shot it at the rental counter. The G43X seemed like it would fit the bill, but after 8 months and 600 rounds (no issues) I just never warmed up to it. The longer grip just seemed to be "too long", and why not carry my G19 anyways. Plus the 43X at least was always kind of snappy to me (size M hands). I just never enjoyed shooting it, really.

I get what you are saying about the Glock parts interchange though, that sure is a big part of owning a particular brand. But just wanted to throw the Sig out there in case you weren't aware. I'm still vetting mine with a scant 240 rounds (no issues) but I like how it shoots. Not sure I would buy a dot just yet (no experience with one) but I'm happy to have the option. It's remarkably small, here it is next to my LCR.

Name:  IMG_7246.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  47.3 KB

User Tag List