Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm Carbine vs...

Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm Carbine vs...

I have two very different questions related to the CX4 Storm and carbines generally.

First, what do people think of the Beretta CX4 Storm compared with other 9mm carbine offerings? Pro's & con's?

My second question is regarding ballistics.

I like the idea of shooting a pistol round in lieu of 5.56/.223 defending my home (not that the latter is not an excellent option, it is). I'm also a big fan of the .357 SIG round though most of my pistols are 9mm. I was thinking I could get .357 SIG ballistics with a 9mm bullet out of a carbine; however, I was wondering if increasing velocity is going to negatively impact penetration.

So for example, while an HP bullet might work as well or better at faster velocities resulting from the much longer barrel of a carbine, I assume fluted bullets like the XD line from Lehigh Defense & Underwood might not fare so well.

.357 SIG (.355") XD bullets have larger flutes than their 9mm Parabellum (.355") XD brethren to better slam on the brakes (so to speak). So I assume shooting XD 9mm Parabellum bullets out of a 16" carbine would overpenetrate and possibly be less effective at stopping someone (as much of the energy might be wasted depending on how clean the passthrough is).

I assume varying levels of success may also occur speeding up 9mm HP's as well, but I can't speak to the velocity limits of HP bullet designs with any knowledge. But differences in bullet designs in 9mm XD bullets (whether 9mm Parabellum or .357 SIG) seem to exist in these Philips screwdriver-like bullets that I am fond of.

I sent Underwood an email asking if they've thought about developing 9mm carbine bullets specifically. I'll report back if I hear anything.

Anyway, any information & opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Name:  9mm v 357 sig XD bullets.jpg
Views: 2260
Size:  31.1 KB

Name:  9mmluger.jpg
Views: 2364
Size:  56.5 KB
    “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” – Herbert Spencer

I have a CX4. I was lucky to find a previously owned but unfired one so I got a good deal on it. But honestly I think they're overpriced for what they are.

Good:

Well made and reliable

Magazine in the grip means shorter OAL with a full 16" barrel. Plus reloads are not awkward.

One of the few options for 92 mags and I think the only option for PX4 mags.

Bad:
    Blowback 9mm carbines and rifle-style pistols have more recoil than a typical locked breech 5.56 and my CX4 is no exception.

It doesn't have a lot of places to mount stuff but there's enough rail space to make it work without cludging anything.

Rear sight aperture should be larger

Barrel isn't threaded

Good video from TFBTV

Good article on Lucky Gunner
    https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/beretta-cx4-review/

As far as I know Siera Papa is the only company doing anything or making anything for the CX4. They do some cool work though.
    http://sierrapapacx4.com/

As to your second question. Yes, it's possible to overdrive a projectile beyond it's performance window and get worse performance. I don't know much about the rounds you asked about though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Had one of these quite a long time ago when I went through an early adopter PX4 phase. A couple of quick observations:

Super little carbine, sold it off when the PX4 went away though. It is a blow back pistol caliber carbine (PCC) with all the advantages/disadvantages they all have. I suggest you not think of it as a substitute for a 5.56 carbine, but as an improvement on a pistol without the recoil, muzzle blast, and noise of something larger. By improvement I almost entirely mean easier to hit with, particularly with a non-enthusiast shooter. The pursuit of a higher level of power is a non factor though. The increase of velocity will never be enough to move a projectile into rifle level effects. Accept that limitation and reap the benefits of the optics and shoulder weapon indexing that allows anyone to shoot well from very close or out to 100 meters or even more.

From an engineering viewpoint, recoil on a blow back is more than a locked breech design, no argument. However, I don't recall ever shooting mine side by side with a 5.56 and thinking they were equivalent in the amount of bounce though. We are talking about a pistol cartridge after all. I suspect the recoil is just more than people expect rather than truly a higher level, competitors may have more information here than I do though. I will absolutely guarantee that shooting a 5.56/12 gauge without ear protection indoors is a stunning event though. That is a major advantage of any PCC.

One odd factor on the CX4 is that the ambi ejection port "spits" sparks onto your face if the bullet/bolt velocity is high enough. I found that with my 147 grain loads this wasn't a factor but +P loads and even typical 115s did this sometimes. It wasn't a big deal but it was a bit distracting. If I had kept the carbine I might have fabricated some sort of a bolt cover for the left port.

The CX4 is generally an excellent choice.
    My apologies to weasels.

@jetfire should have some thoughts on them.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    I have a CX4, and like it, for what it is - that is, a shoulder-fired, RDS-able gun for fun, or to hand to a family member in a crisis.
    The bolt release is shaped, and functions, like a B92 slide stop, as is the mag release button. So very easy to use for anyone with exposure to a B92.
    I shoot and carry B92s, so the magazine commonality is also a big benefit.

It’s a great plinking gun for my younger son. It does have a snappier recoil that one would expect, but nothing even remotely distracting.
    I had the trigger upgraded by Sierra Papa - it’s much nicer now.

I’m glad @Bigghoss posted the link to the Lucky Gunner video on pistol cartridge performance with longer barrels - I remembered seeing it, but couldn’t remember where.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I have a CX4, and like it, for what it is - that is, a shoulder-fired, RDS-able gun for fun, or to hand to a family member in a crisis.
    This is part of why I’ve been looking for one. I’ve not been able to locate a new one and am worried it’s discontinued even though Beretta’s site makes it seem like it’s still in production.

I’ve started thinking the Ruger PC Charger with a folding brace will have to do lately. And if there’s something I have a ton more of than B92 mags... it’s Glock mags. Lol!

https://www.ruger.com/products/pcCha...ets/29100.html

I’ve never heard anything bad about these. I wonder how it stacks up against the Scorpion Evo.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Bud's Gun shop shows them in stock for $850, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by momano View Post
    Bud's Gun shop shows them in stock for $850, I think.
    Well damn. I didn’t get a back in stock email. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    @jetfire should have some thoughts on them.
    The only major problem with the CX4 is the safety is a real pain in the ass to manipulate at speed. Other than that, it’s an accurate, reliable platform. If you’re already invested in 92-series or PX4s it makes a ton of sense.

User Tag List