Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another S&W 340 thread

S&W 340PD

I have the above referenced revolver.....titanium cylinder, scandium frame. It has the red ramp front sight. I hated paying what I did for it. Like others have said, you could have gotten two for the price of this one. For me the weight savings over the course of the day adds up. So I am glad I purchased it.

For fun I shot a cylinder of Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Silvertip ammo. The Gold Dot felt like a medium load compared to the Silvertip. The Silvertip was down right brutal.

I carry Winchester Ranger 130gr JHP in .38. It's acceptable in recoil. I am going to get a box of wadcutters and see how the revolver does with that. Seems like that is an option as others have opined.

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...view-revolver/

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    There is no good reason to shoot .357 ammo through one of these super light J frames. The Ti cylindered guns are perfect for pocket carry and that is the best use case for one of these.
    I have purpose made .357s, those only eat .357s unless my daughter is shooting one. I know the 340 will handle it and you could perhaps see a performance increase ballistically with short barrel specific .357 ammo but I would think whatever small gain would be overshadowed by excessive flash, blast and recoil. 38 +P is perfectly fine with me, thanks.

Insanely lightweight pocket carry is goal here while still being reasonably armed.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I have the above referenced revolver.....titanium cylinder, scandium frame. It has the red ramp front sight. I hated paying what I did for it. Like others have said, you could have gotten two for the price of this one. For me the weight savings over the course of the day adds up. So I am glad I purchased it.

For fun I shot a cylinder of Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Silvertip ammo. The Gold Dot felt like a medium load compared to the Silvertip. The Silvertip was down right brutal.

I carry Winchester Ranger 130gr JHP in .38. It's acceptable in recoil. I am going to get a box of wadcutters and see how the revolver does with that. Seems like that is an option as others have opined.

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...view-revolver/
    Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by rm06 View Post
    I tried one of these yesterday at the local shop, just fingerbanging and dry firing, good heavens, I didn't know a real gun could be so light. I didn't find the factory trigger objectionable at all, I carried and practiced with an unmodified 642-1 for years which I sold in a moment of weakness.

We all dig range toys and I have a few but I've been paring them down over the years, I like practical guns better. I have been on the fence for a new EDC for literally years, I waffle back and forth between another J frame and something sexier like the new P365 XL or even one of the Kahr mini 9mm's - that capacity thing always gets me. But I really like wheel guns and this may be the game changer, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

Do people really fire .357s through these? I imagine some quality +P ammo is what the doctor ordered, how are the factory sights regulated? Lighter or heavier projectiles? I know there are many threads here which I will continue to dig into.

The elephant in the room - price. Is the juice worth the squeeze?
    The best thing to do is try to shoot them side by side at a rental range if you can find one. I think the difference in sights makes it worth it. I have the big dot model with the steel cylinder and a no lock 642. The notch in the 642 is minuscule
    to me it comes dow to the shooters eyesight.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I will echo UNKs post with a twist. I used to carry a 642-1 until two years ago when the sights just would not pop into view for me quick enough. Young people see them better, quicker. I had a chance to purchase a 2" DAO Kimber w/night sights. (Read that as big blocky, fast to pickup and orient sights) at a very decent price. It's a belt gun, but a small belt gun. 6 rounds and handles the 357 in recoil akin to a SP101 Ruger. Fits in a J frame holster.

Just a thought. I've fired the 340 with the FO front sight with 145 Silvertips at a silhouette on a police range at 50 yards. A lot of sweatin, holdin, and squeezin but all 5 went into 8 ring and above, but "brutal" is a logical term for the recoil.

I'll pay the penalty and carry the weight. BTW the 340 action wasn't even close to the K6.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    The best thing to do is try to shoot them side by side at a rental range if you can find one. I think the difference in sights makes it worth it. I have the big dot model with the steel cylinder and a no lock 642. The notch in the 642 is minuscule
    to me it comes dow to the shooters eyesight.
    Ill also add I used to have the titanium cylinder. Its finish is more delicate and requires special care. If the extra weight to you is worth it then its worth it.
    If I were going to go that route again Id probably buy something else for practice and carry the ti/scandium model.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

From what I understand, the M&P 340 has a stainless cylinder, while the 340 PD has the titanium cylinder.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I'm a big fan of the M&P340. I carried mine as a BUG at work for 12 years. For me, the sights were worth the extra expense, although I bought mine at the LE price. I don't really care about the ability to fire .357, and haven't done it in years (if you want to know what it's like, just smack yourself in the hand with a hammer). Occasionally, the .38 version (M&P342) will pop up on Gunbroker.

I carry these in various configurations all the time and have a bunch. So, take this for what it’s worth. If it is going to serve in a primary gun role for NPE use or simply because you are leading a 5 shot lifestyle, the 340M&P or 340PD is worth the money for the sights as you will likely be needing them if you have to use it in a defensive shooting. If it is a back up to a primary carry gun, stick with a 642 or 442 and I like the PRO/PC versions with the better triggers.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I carry these in various configurations all the time and have a bunch. So, take this for what it’s worth. If it is going to serve in a primary gun role for NPE use or simply because you are leading a 5 shot lifestyle, the 340M&P or 340PD is worth the money for the sights as you will likely be needing them if you have to use it in a defensive shooting. If it is a back up to a primary carry gun, stick with a 642 or 442 and I like the PRO/PC versions with the better triggers.
    They come with either a red ramp or fiber optic front. Which is the way to go?

User Tag List