Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another S&W 340 thread

Pretty sure the red ramp is the no-lock.

Is there any pro or con to the 2 piece barrel of the 340?

My only advice is get the version without the lock. Mine had trigger binding issues for a bit and that’s the only thing I can figure.

Anyone with an M&P340 or other I-frame using VZ grips? I keep going back and forth between them and leaving the CT-105 on it.
    https://vzgrips.com/products/s-w-j-f...z-twister.html

Re: .357 Magnum v. .38 Special

I have an SP101. I currently use Win. Ranger 130 grain .38 Special +P. I am looking to try out Rem. 125 grain Golden Saber, Hornady 135 grain Critical Duty, Speer 135 grain Gold Dot short barrel, and Win. 145 grain Silvertips in Magnum flavor in the stout little beast.

My son bought an LCR in .357 Magnum, and wanted to try Magnums in it. I bought a box of Hornady 125 grain American Gunner in Magnum flavor. the cylinder was loaded with 5 rounds. He touched off one and was DONE. I managed to squeeze off three more. The 5th round went back in the box. He carries .38 Special in it.

Moral of the story: I will entertain the possibility of Magnums in an all-steel weapon, but lightweights only get .38's.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

You want to shoot .357 full house Magnums in a 5 shot snub.....this is why the Lord made Hamilton Bowen custom SP-101’s ....😎
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Anyone know of an online LE dealer that has the no lock version in stock?

No lock

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Pretty sure the red ramp is the no-lock.

Is there any pro or con to the 2 piece barrel of the 340?
    My 340PD has no lock and the red ramp front sight. I haven't had any issues with the two piece barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Anyone with an M&P340 or other I-frame using VZ grips? I keep going back and forth between them and leaving the CT-105 on it.
    Best grips out there for the J's.
    For recoil mitigation go with the smooth VZ 320, that little extra "slip" under recoil makes a difference.
    My carry 340PD has Operator II's which have a lot of texture for retention.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Best grips out there for the J's.
    For recoil mitigation go with the smooth VZ 320, that little extra "slip" under recoil makes a difference.
    My carry 340PD has Operator II's which have a lot of texture for retention.
    Exactly the kind of information I was seeking. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    My only advice is get the version without the lock. Mine had trigger binding issues for a bit and that’s the only thing I can figure.

Bro, quit spending my money

I am in the process of ordering the M&P 340, no lock, with XS front sight. I don't love tritium sights but at least it isn't a 3-dot configuration and there's never any free lunch with these purchases. I'm pretty excited about it honestly, I've had analysis paralysis over EDC guns for so many years I have just been ignoring the topic and lugging around my P07 or P01 but not as often as I could or should.

If I had to do it all over again, I’d do a no-lock 340, rechamber it for 9mm, and be done. Still would set it up with the LaserMax light and CT LG-405s.

I love my 642-1, but didn’t get it with the intention to convert to 9mm. I carry it religiously now... so saving a few ounces would have been great.

User Tag List