Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another S&W 340 thread

Another S&W 340 thread

I tried one of these yesterday at the local shop, just fingerbanging and dry firing, good heavens, I didn't know a real gun could be so light. I didn't find the factory trigger objectionable at all, I carried and practiced with an unmodified 642-1 for years which I sold in a moment of weakness.

We all dig range toys and I have a few but I've been paring them down over the years, I like practical guns better. I have been on the fence for a new EDC for literally years, I waffle back and forth between another J frame and something sexier like the new P365 XL or even one of the Kahr mini 9mm's - that capacity thing always gets me. But I really like wheel guns and this may be the game changer, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

Do people really fire .357s through these? I imagine some quality +P ammo is what the doctor ordered, how are the factory sights regulated? Lighter or heavier projectiles? I know there are many threads here which I will continue to dig into.

The elephant in the room - price. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by rm06 View Post

It's pretty much the only reason I don't own one.

I'd be paying the premium simply for the better front sight versus the painted version on my 642-1...and for my limited use for the J, it's been enough to hold me back. If the J played a bigger role in my plans, perhaps the extra cost would be justifiable.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I tried one of these yesterday at the local shop, just fingerbanging and dry firing, good heavens, I didn't know a real gun could be so light. I didn't find the factory trigger objectionable at all, I carried and practiced with an unmodified 642-1 for years which I sold in a moment of weakness.

We all dig range toys and I have a few but I've been paring them down over the years, I like practical guns better. I have been on the fence for a new EDC for literally years, I waffle back and forth between another J frame and something sexier like the new P365 XL or even one of the Kahr mini 9mm's - that capacity thing always gets me. But I really like wheel guns and this may be the game changer, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

Do people really fire .357s through these? I imagine some quality +P ammo is what the doctor ordered, how are the factory sights regulated? Lighter or heavier projectiles? I know there are many threads here which I will continue to dig into.

For me is was a hard yes. I love the front sight and the option to shoot 357. But I did look around for a year before I found a new one in the low $600 range before I could talk myself into spending the extra money. Also I do carry it often. It’s my NPE gun and I’m in an NPE Monday through Friday so it spends a lot of time with me.

There is no good reason to shoot .357 ammo through one of these super light J frames. The Ti cylindered guns are perfect for pocket carry and that is the best use case for one of these. If you want a general purpose J frame, I think you are better off with a 642 or 442 air weight for a whole lot less money. This is from a guy with a 342PD, a couple of 342Ti's and a whole slew of air weights of various models. The two J frames I keep loaded and ready to go are a 342Ti and a 642 Pro.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    We all dig range toys and I have a few but I've been paring them down over the years, I like practical guns better.
    I want a .357 and am trying to decide between an S&W air weight or a 7 rounder or maybe an LCR?. I may never fire .357 out of an air weight but like the option if needed. Or forget it and buy a Gen 5 Glock 26.
    I'm trying to get practical guns but it's hard.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I want a .357 and am trying to decide between an S&W air weight or a 7 rounder or maybe an LCR?. I may never fire .357 out of an air weight but like the option if needed. Or forget it and buy a Gen 5 Glock 26.
    I'm trying to get practical guns but it's hard.
    If you don't already have a 26, I'd highly recommend that "first" but it really depends on what you need.

You can pretty much get a G26 and 642-1 for the price of an M&P 340. Food for thought.

I've fired full power 125gr 357 from a 340 just to try it. I am not recoil sensitive and have a good grip and it was not painful so much as it was just brutal, if that makes sense... I could definitely deal with it but one handed splits could practically be timed with an hourglass.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    I've fired full power 125gr 357 from a 340 just to try it. I am not recoil sensitive and have a good grip and it was not painful so much as it was just brutal, if that makes sense... I could definitely deal with it but one handed splits could practically be timed with an hourglass.
    Brutal would be my description as well. I shot some 180 gr .357 magnum factory and reloads out of a 640 Pro trying to find a load that would regulate to the sights. They weren't intolerable in the steel framed gun.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If you don't already have a 26, I'd highly recommend that "first" but it really depends on what you need.

You can pretty much get a G26 and 642-1 for the price of an M&P 340. Food for thought.
    I've been reading the G26 Gen 5 thread and it has me considering one. I don't need one but it may be useful when my G19 is a bit too big. I'm selling my G29 so I "need" something to replace it. I wanted a shotgun for 3 Gun but who knows if I'll ever be able to participate in 3 Gun again.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I've been reading the G26 Gen 5 thread and it has me considering one. I don't need one but it may be useful when my G19 is a bit too big. I'm selling my G29 so I "need" something to replace it. I wanted a shotgun for 3 Gun but who knows if I'll ever be able to participate in 3 Gun again.
    I've had a G19 since 1988 but my G26 (since 1995) has been my most carried Glock by far, on and off duty, and especially since retirement. I don't think you'd be disappointed. And as I say, you can add a 642-1 and still not spend much more than the M&P. Not that I'd try to twist your arm.

User Tag List