Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Another S&W 340 thread

Quote Originally Posted by rm06 View Post

The elephant in the room - price. Is the juice worth the squeeze?
    For me a definite yes. I picked up an S&W 340SC AirLite a few years ago for $500 at my favorite brick and mortar gun store. When I first got the revolver it looked like it had only been fired once and quickly sold by somebody with a sore hand. The 340SC has a scandium alloy frame and a titanium cylinder like the PD model, but the grey finish of the 340SC on mine has not held up very well. I think the grey finish model 340sc might have been less expensive for that reason.

Oh yeah... it hurts like hell with full magnums, but it doesn't with .38 special wadcutter ammo.

It's currently hard to find good deals on self-defense handguns with Covid and the insurrections. That will probably change with the passage of time so people can find other things to get in a panic about.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Currently in the market for a 340 or 340PD.

I plan on primarily running wadcutters through this providing they hit POA.

Id prefer the PD for the lightest possible option but have read some things that have given me pause.

One user here stated it isn’t smart to shoot lead through the titanium cylinders and should be avoided, I’m assuming due to increased cleaning requirements for the more maintenance intensive cylinder and a few others state they shoot wadcutters through theirs but really no other details

I’m basically just trying to determine how big of an issue this is and if its something to truly worry about.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    Currently in the market for a 340 or 340PD.

I plan on primarily running wadcutters through this providing they hit POA.

Id prefer the PD for the lightest possible option but have read some things that have given me pause.

One user here stated it isn’t smart to shoot lead through the titanium cylinders and should be avoided, I’m assuming due to increased cleaning requirements for the more maintenance intensive cylinder and a few others state they shoot wadcutters through theirs but really no other details

I’m basically just trying to determine how big of an issue this is and if its something to truly worry about.
    I thought it was marked on the gun "jacketed bullets only" due to the recoil pulling lead bullets loose? Someone will confirm.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    I thought it was marked on the gun "jacketed bullets only" due to the recoil pulling lead bullets loose? Someone will confirm.
    I see them marked “no less than 120gr” due to scoring of the cylinder face from the fast burning propellant or something like that but haven’t seen jacketed only. Perhaps though.

User Tag List