Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have You Ever Viewed Astronaut Bios? They're insane.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersTheCat View Post
    Go here and pick any one at random.

https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biographies/active

They're super-Americans on steroids.

Example:

Dr. Jonny Kim was selected by NASA to join the 2017 Astronaut Candidate Class. He reported for duty in August 2017 and having completed the initial astronaut candidate training is now eligible for a mission assignment. A U.S. Navy SEAL, Kim completed more than 100 combat operations and is the recipient of the Silver Star and Bronze Star with Combat “V”. Kim was commissioned as a naval officer through an enlisted-to-officer program and earned his degree in mathematics at the University of San Diego and a doctorate of medicine at Harvard Medical School.

So this guy has a math degree, is a doctor of medicine, and a combat awarded SEAL.
    Impressive humans. One of the Commanders on that list worked with us about 7 years ago. At the time he was active duty, going to school, and I am sure volunteering in his community.

I worked with Rick a long time ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_A._Searfoss

He did 3 Shuttle launches and 39 days in space per wiki. Great guy to work with and someone else told me he was an astronaut, it wasn't something he really talked about. I can't remember even talking about space with him, we mostly focused on airplane stuff.

I would like to think if he saw me on the street he would remember my name. Not because of the work we did or because I was some significant figure, but he was so damn sharp. A good dude and I didn't realize he passed. RIP Rick.

As a side story, I got a small taste of what being an Astronaut feels like. Early 2000s a small group of us went to Beale for a chamber ride. I was the only flyer so I had to wear a tan flight suit with the ubiquitous meatball on it. At lunch on base a worker there thought I was an Astronaut and was just soo excited. Even after I said I was a nobody, she wanted my autograph. It was crazy. I kept in touch for a few years and sent her a bunch of swag for her and her kids.

It was awesome to watch the launch yesterday with my own child. I am hoping we get more kids that want to become astronauts as opposed to youtube dickheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    A couple weekends ago my girlfriend left town to visit her family. I spent the entire weekend eating pizza and playing a South Park video game on my PS4.

Technically, Dr. Kim and I are the same species on paper, but I'm not seeing it.
    Seriously.

Here's another one. Frank Rubio.

Education:
    Graduated from Miami Sunset Senior High School in Miami, Florida. Earned a bachelor’s degree in International Relations from the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. Earned a Doctorate of Medicine from the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland. Family Medicine Residency at Martin Army Community Hospital, Fort Benning, Georgia.

Experience:
    Rubio served as a platoon leader in A Company, 2-82nd Assault Aviation (REDHAWKS), and as a company commander in A Company, 2-3rd Aviation (STORM). Rubio also served as a clinic supervisor, an executive medicine provider and a flight surgeon at Redstone Arsenal, Alabama. At the time of his selection in June 2017, Rubio was a battalion surgeon for the 3rd Battalion of the 10th Special Forces Group (Airborne) in the U.S. Army.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    Impressive humans. One of the Commanders on that list worked with us about 7 years ago. At the time he was active duty, going to school, and I am sure volunteering in his community.

I worked with Rick a long time ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_A._Searfoss

He did 3 Shuttle launches and 39 days in space per wiki. Great guy to work with and someone else told me he was an astronaut, it wasn't something he really talked about. I can't remember even talking about space with him, we mostly focused on airplane stuff.

I would like to think if he saw me on the street he would remember my name. Not because of the work we did or because I was some significant figure, but he was so damn sharp. A good dude and I didn't realize he passed. RIP Rick.

As a side story, I got a small taste of what being an Astronaut feels like. Early 2000s a small group of us went to Beale for a chamber ride. I was the only flyer so I had to wear a tan flight suit with the ubiquitous meatball on it. At lunch on base a worker there thought I was an Astronaut and was just soo excited. Even after I said I was a nobody, she wanted my autograph. It was crazy. I kept in touch for a few years and sent her a bunch of swag for her and her kids.

It was awesome to watch the launch yesterday with my own child. I am hoping we get more kids that want to become astronauts as opposed to youtube dickheads.
    I don't think we need to worry about that.

These guys and gals epitomize the scholar athlete type, only instead of running cross country and doing well in English class they get doctorates for fun and laugh at SF selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    A couple weekends ago my girlfriend left town to visit her family. I spent the entire weekend eating pizza and playing a South Park video game on my PS4.

Technically, Dr. Kim and I are the same species on paper, but I'm not seeing it.
    My wife did a masters degree when she was 58. When I was 58 I was trying to figure out how to retire early. Some people are just over achievers but I'm happy somebody can run with the ball. It just isn't in my DNA.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersTheCat View Post
    Go here and pick any one at random.

https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biographies/active

They're super-Americans on steroids.

Example:

Dr. Jonny Kim was selected by NASA to join the 2017 Astronaut Candidate Class. He reported for duty in August 2017 and having completed the initial astronaut candidate training is now eligible for a mission assignment. A U.S. Navy SEAL, Kim completed more than 100 combat operations and is the recipient of the Silver Star and Bronze Star with Combat “V”. Kim was commissioned as a naval officer through an enlisted-to-officer program and earned his degree in mathematics at the University of San Diego and a doctorate of medicine at Harvard Medical School.

So this guy has a math degree, is a doctor of medicine, and a combat awarded SEAL.
    We have an alum from our school of medicine like that guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kjell_N._Lindgren

If you get a chance, check out One Strange Rock, narrated by Will Smith.
    http://www.nationalgeographic.org/ed...-strange-rock/

Most of the people interviewed are astronauts, and they delve a bit into their backgrounds. Pretty amazing people.

I blame astronauts and other excessively over-achieving individuals for the riots; they sucked up all the intelligence out there (Theory of Finite Intelligence) and left the rest of us with dipshits running around.

Seriously though, is it any wonder that people capable of being strapped to bombs and flung into the vacuum of space, excel in practically any endeavor they choose to take on?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I blame astronauts and other excessively over-achieving individuals for the riots; they sucked up all the intelligence out there (Theory of Finite Intelligence) and left the rest of us with dipshits running around.

Seriously though, is it any wonder that people capable of being strapped to bombs and flung into the vacuum of space, excel in practically any endeavor they choose to take on?
    Not only are they capable of it, they choose to do it — not for fame or profit, but because they think it’s cool. That’s the other thing you notice about these folks: the enthusiasm for what they do.

Pretty amazing. They must be some our regular posters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Are any of those two high performing members of the Army Astronaut Program who are working on their MD/Phd's?
    Regardless of Kelly's politics, his accomplishments in life, unrelated to politics, are amazing. Also, Nowak may have gone off the rails criminally, but again her accomplishments in life prior to that are also amazing.

User Tag List