Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Light This Candle, Part Deux

I enjoyed the launch and docking but the space suits and coverage seems like a dystopian anime episode of Doug and Bob save the world.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Maybe it’s premature to be dancing on Boeing/ULA, but jeebus! They’re basically using 1960s tech below the capsule. Same old expensive throw-everything-away technology that took us to the Moon. Fine if the government writes blank checks, but any bright kid can look at this and see that the way to drive down costs is to reuse the rockets.

SpaceX hired those kids.
    Even U.S. 1960s tech below the capsule would have been preferable to sending a few hundred million a year to Russia so that our astronauts could ride up to the ISS ontheir 1960's tech. Russia BTW, has gone all out on trash talking SpaceX, I wonder what slush fund that cash has been keeping fat.

Embarrassingly enough, I thought that the 737 Max issue was an uncharacteristic blip on Boeing's record (I had deep brand loyalty to Boeing airframes), and I bought 40 shares of BA in after the initial drop last year, because I thought it was a screaming good deal and that they would fix the minor problem and get things turned around quickly. In retrospect, that was an poor decision.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That's a tailor, @Trooper224.

Tailor to the stars, so to speak.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Don't mean to be a killjoy and I'm really a fan too. I have been since I was a kid watching the moon landings in awe. I was expecting to be close to shedding a tear myself and just didn't. I should have but the coverage just killed it for me. Definitely not a fan of the constant non-stop yammering by the commentators, the background music after ignition and to add to it the thumbnail screen on top of the split screen showing the event. I want to hear the dialog between launch control and the crew. I want to hear the roar of those engines. I want to see it all. Didn't get that and it was sorely disappointing. It was almost a bad sci-fi movie experience. Is it just me or was the prior launch attempt coverage much better? The commentators would shut up when it got close to a checklist event being confirmed, but yesterday they wouldn't shut up at all?
    Same. I switched to the mission control stream for awhile, but there was almost no radio chatter, and just a static view of the control room with a bottle of hand sanitizer out. :/

I want the technical facts about the launch, not blithering ad-copy. But it’s a predictable symptom of the commercial in Commercial Crew, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by boing View Post
    Same. I switched to the mission control stream for awhile, but there was almost no radio chatter, and just a static view of the control room with a bottle of hand sanitizer out. :/

I want the technical facts about the launch, not blithering ad-copy. But it’s a predictable symptom of the commercial in Commercial Crew, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I enjoyed the launch and docking but the space suits and coverage seems like a dystopian anime episode of Doug and Bob save the world.
    Agree re the commentary. If you're not making a significant positive contribution, shut up. That said, still really cool to watch it in spite of the annoying jabbering.

Also, every time I hear "Bob and Doug" I can't help but wonder if they remembered to pack a flat of metric beers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    Also, every time I hear "Bob and Doug" I can't help but wonder if they remembered to pack a flat of metric beers.
    And don’t forget the toques - take off, eh?

Bod and Doug come home at about 11:30 ET or so.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Nasa.gov is saying this afternoon:

...splashdown in the Gulf of Mexico at 2:48 p.m. EDT this afternoon.
    http://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2...ashdown-today/

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    NASA TV is live for the re-entry.

If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The timeline:

1:51 p.m. – Crew Dragon performs claw separation. The claw is located on Crew Dragon’s trunk, connecting thermal control, power, and avionics system components located on the trunk to the capsule.
    1:51 p.m. – Trunk separation
    1:56 p.m. – Deorbit burn begins
    2:08 p.m. – Deorbit burn complete
    2:11 p.m. – Nosecone deploys
    2:32 p.m. – Crew Dragon maneuvers to attitude for re-entry
    2:44 p.m. – Drogue parachutes deploy at about 18,000 feet in altitude while Crew Dragon is moving approximately 350 miles per hour.
    2:45 p.m. – Main parachutes deploy at about 6,000 feet in altitude while Crew Dragon is moving approximately 119 miles per hour.
    2:48 p.m. – Splashdown

Apparently, since the spacecraft will already be in a decaying orbit, the jettisoned trunk section will burn up on its own accord.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List